• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Haswell-E - Intel's First 8 Core Desktop Processor Exposed

Yeah, if they wanted to redesign and replace the MCH and every DIMM slot on every skt775 board, then maybe, but that's ridiculous and stupid. It's not as easy as it sounds to just move a platform from what type of memory to another. Wherever the IMC is, it has to support it. So for the example for Haswell-E, they don't just have to re-do the circuitry for the DRAM, they have to redo the IMC in the Haswell-E chip itself to process DDR4.

It's astonishing how people think that it's so easy to change a CPU or how a modern computer works, it's completely outstanding and blows my mind. The reality of it is that it isn't that easy and the more changes you make the more money, time, and effort it will cost.

Just because Intel hasn't improved performance doesn't mean that they're not innovating. I see a number of changes to Haswell that aren't CPU performance related that are worthy of note.

You're taking about redoing haswell I'm taking about from the get-go ..if they would stick to one platform longer why would that cost more money? the changes start at the CPU not the motherboard I'm a Intel guy along with 95% of after market CPU buyers because they ARE the best ,But to think they can't do better is stu------wrong.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
But to think they can't do better is stu------wrong.

I agree. Intel developed Thunderbolt and yet its not in z87 mobos. What gives?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It's easy to make stuff work on a 775 socket because stuff (like the memory controller) was still on the north bridge and not integrated into the CPU. In fact, they could probably get DDR4 to work with an old Core2 on Socket 775, but they sure won't get it to work with any current Nehalem, Sandy or Ivy.

they would need a conversion chipset