• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

complete nub needs help

cogburn

Hi. So after many years of decent service my computer broke and being addicted to it im desperate to build a new one. I know next to nothing about computers, it's parts and how it all works and probably the best option for me would be to buy a complete package, but i have a belief that building one myself would benefit me because i will be able to upgrade it easier down the road.
So. The goal is computer able to run all games for at least another year at high settings. Budget 1000-1500 excluding case (cheapest part lol)

Need advices on parts compatibility and any ways to get a better build.

-So far i know that motherboard is the most important thing so im thinking of Asus maximus VI extreme. Should be able to use it for quite a while, right? (400$)

-Then of course video card to run games. Price/performance wise GTX 780 looks good. Should i get one from Asus or Zotiac(easier to get) would fit just fine? (650$)

-To power all that up - Corsair AXi AX760i 760w. Looks like should be enough. Not really conserned about noise level, tho reviews say it's very low. (190$)

- RAM. Here i basically have 2 choices (i hope so). 1. Use my old one for now,save some money on it and then get better one. 2. Get something like Corsair dominator 16Gb (2x8 Gb) (120$)

Not sure what kind of cooling i would need for this and what am i missing from it to make it a working pc.
Any kind of help and advice is very much apriciated

System Name Main Pc | Xeon rig
Processor Intel Core i5-4670 @3.6Ghz | Intel Xeon X5675 @stock
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | Sabertooth X58
Cooling Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB Crucial OC @ 2133mhz | 12 GB Various
Video Card(s) MSI RX480 | MSI R7970 TF III 3GD5 OC BE (Bios mod 1081 mV)
Storage 120GB Samsung Evo\ 4TB WD HDD | 120GB Samsung Evo
Case NZXT H440 | Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply Seasonic 650 Watt| Nexus 450
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows Server 2016 Datacenter x64
You need a cpu

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hi. So after many years of decent service my computer broke and being addicted to it im desperate to build a new one. I know next to nothing about computers, it's parts and how it all works and probably the best option for me would be to buy a complete package, but i have a belief that building one myself would benefit me because i will be able to upgrade it easier down the road.
So. The goal is computer able to run all games for at least another year at high settings. Budget 1000-1500 excluding case (cheapest part lol)

Need advices on parts compatibility and any ways to get a better build.

-So far i know that motherboard is the most important thing so im thinking of Asus maximus VI extreme. Should be able to use it for quite a while, right? (400$)

-Then of course video card to run games. Price/performance wise GTX 780 looks good. Should i get one from Asus or Zotiac(easier to get) would fit just fine? (650$)

-To power all that up - Corsair AXi AX760i 760w. Looks like should be enough. Not really conserned about noise level, tho reviews say it's very low. (190$)

- RAM. Here i basically have 2 choices (i hope so). 1. Use my old one for now,save some money on it and then get better one. 2. Get something like Corsair dominator 16Gb (2x8 Gb) (120$)

Not sure what kind of cooling i would need for this and what am i missing from it to make it a working pc.
Any kind of help and advice is very much apriciated

I suggest going to your local PC store, and talking to them directly. They should have sales agents that can help ensure you get everything needed to make your first build a great success. If you find them helpful, you may just want to pay them the $100 or so they'll charge to build the system and you'll not have to worry about running into issues with assembly.

Your budget allows for quite a bit, so you have many many options. Since you want to use your PC for gaming, videocard is most important, and it looks like you got that covered.

Now, I'll assume that you will just put it together, install windows and some games, and use it, and that overclocking or such is not needed. If that's is the case, the cooler that comes with your chip should be fine. I'd look at either a 3570k or 3770k and a board to match which chip you choose. The MSI Z87-GF65 GAMING board is a great base for a gaming build to go with that 4570K.

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
You don't need to spend $400 on the motherboard unless you need all that connectivity and plan on running multiple powerful video cards and maybe a RAID controller.

As cadaveca said, the new MSI boards look nice. Intel's new Haswell CPUs should last you at least one year. Just get a decent cooler for it. Or, you might be able to score a deal on the last generation 3570K and a Z77 motherboard, it's still a great platform.

Your build is missing the CPU, storage drives and OS, those will drive the price up a bit further.

Geekoid

£1000 will get you one hell of a computer. Also, the case won't be the cheapest thing. Likely your HDD will be less than the case. A good case provides not only great cooling, but also ease of installation and upgrades. A decent case should cost you around £100. $400 sounds very expensive for a motherboard. If you're not overclocking and using RAID, then a £40 motherboard will do just fine. You'll need decide on Intel or AMD - basically use Intel for gaming. Then, get a CPU that fits your budget (the i5 series is good, for example). A GTX 780 is a great card, and the Corsair AX range of PSUs are great too. 2x8GB of RAM is a great choice too. If you go with Windows 8 as well (around £75), then you can get a system builder licence, allowing you to upgrade your computer's hardware in the future.

D

Deleted member 24505

£1000 will get you one hell of a computer. Also, the case won't be the cheapest thing. Likely your HDD will be less than the case. A good case provides not only great cooling, but also ease of installation and upgrades. A decent case should cost you around £100. $400 sounds very expensive for a motherboard. If you're not overclocking and using RAID, then a £40 motherboard will do just fine. You'll need decide on Intel or AMD - basically use Intel for gaming. Then, get a CPU that fits your budget (the i5 series is good, for example). A GTX 780 is a great card, and the Corsair AX range of PSUs are great too. 2x8GB of RAM is a great choice too. If you go with Windows 8 as well (around £75), then you can get a system builder licence, allowing you to upgrade your computer's hardware in the future.

I think he's working in $$ my guess is America.