• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Yeah yeah, M$, keep your toys'r'us SO to yourself, grow a pair and recognize you are not Apple. Nobody wants the full M$ toddler's device experience, and you have no pack of million brainwashed fans (maybe console ones, but that changed a bit lately, right? Who knows why...) Apple can even sell a buttscratcher with their logo on it...
M$ might be going to the gutter and I can't say it's not deserved...

Too bad Linux gaming is still lagging behind, otherwise Windows would be really on free fall (even more than now)... IE effect all over again. Fingers crossed for Valve/Steam... PCGA could also do something about it if they actually did something for a change, but anyway... probably there are other intere$ts involved.

Let's at least hope Ballmer takes some extended vacations soon.

Look, you can have your opinion all you want but, I think this is one of the stupidest arguments I hear on the internet all the time. Right, I am going to run out and rebuy all my games just so I can run them on Linux if I could. :shadedshu:wtf::rolleyes: Windows is successful because it works well and has excellent backwards compatibility.

I like Linux and all other Operating systems as well but, Windows is still the most popular and often the best solution, hands down. But, if you want to rebuy all your games, go for it. (I am sure the profit managers will thank you.) :slap:

That was a waste of reading time.

If you think MS should be Apple, you can agree that 8 and 8.1 are a reasonable step forward. They can introduce a marketplace that they control, force developers to pay for the ability to be featured on their store, then make a GUI homogenization that customers demonstrably don't want. All of this offers "better stability and a more unified experience" from device to device.

In a perfect world, this sounds great. In reality, Windows phone became Windows everything. Homogenization for the sake of homogenization is stupid. Minor performance increases (which the article concedes are chipped away by less than useful widgets), an as yet unused directx variant, and quicker booting are not worth the extra expense. People are telling MS this by not buying it, but they want to find a different answer.

Despite this evidence, you praise MS for an as yet unreleased OS. To judge without any concrete evidence is hubris. The community may be beta testing, but this means nothing about the final OS. Blindly accepting whatever we get, and praising the "gift" we have been given, is stupid.

To the author; wow. You have often dabbled into the area of a corporate sales person. It has been tolerable, but this tears it. You write from a bias that is not informative. The reason I read an editorial is that the author instills value into their opinions. As you don't explicitly offer why I should give a damn about your words in the article, I have to rely on your track record. For every informative point you've made in the past week you've written a corresponding article blatantly praising a company without any thought. Fluff pieces for the sake of pushing an agenda do not warrant my attention to your opinions. Perhaps you can provide something substantive, but your track record indicates otherwise.

To whit, your article is fluff. It deserves the responses it is getting, as the title is troll baiting 101. I'm done reading your work until editorial credibility can be established.

Promise? I see that because he does not write something you can agree with, it is troll bait? LOL. Well, I actually appreciated what he had to say but then again, I do not get all bent out of shape over an OS like I used to 10 years ago. :laugh:

For me, the biggest showstopper with Windows 8 isn't the Start Menu (there are, after all, several third-party utilities that bring this back). It's the fact that for some inexplicable reason, they decided to center the title bar text! This sounds like a small thing, but during the few times I tried to use Windows 8, it was the one thing I found most persistently annoying. I've been using Windows since the Win95 era, and my eyes are used to looking for the title bar text on the left. Now, for some reason, they've decided to go back to the 3.1 era and center the text. Centered text may look nicer in screenshots, but it's slower to read since you don't have a fixed position to start!

Also, the new desktop theme is much uglier than Aero. I know they may have designed it to reduce the GPU load on portable devices, but I have a desktop system with a decent video card, so why can't I have an option to turn back on the much nicer-looking Aero effects?

For that matter, since Windows has been capable of theming since the XP era, why does Microsoft insist on locking it down? The engine is fully capable of allowing custom display themes, but only those digitally signed by MS will run, unless you hack a DLL. There's no good reason for this. If the entire UI was customizable (perhaps through XAML), then most of the objections to Windows 8 would melt away, since users could make it look however they wanted and felt most comfortable with.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
One thing I know I do not like is the pictograph crap. Just what the hell? I mean talk about dumbing down. Really? Plain cheep generic Pictographs? Why is it they just didn't leave every thing alone? Couldn't they just have some how integrated all the touch options needed for any OS as a "Patch" and also put out this POS at the same time? Making it possible for every user to just go out buy up a touch screen and plug it in to your CURRENT desktop (Or other devices) And have fun? NO! They have to make it so much better for every one. I just feel smarter than the rest of the world when I use every thing from Microsoft up to now. It's like the IQ of every one just dropped 150 points. And to top it off people are loving it! It looks like the world is really turning into the Movie Idiocracy.
Plain cheep looking Pictographs. Really? :wtf::wtf:

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Slow news day. Raining. Nothing worth playing... EDITORIAL ;)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
A decade from now all of the people complaining about the Windows 8 format will have adopted it and will then complain when they change the format again.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
A decade from now all of the people complaining about the Windows 8 format will have adopted it and will then complain when they change the format again.

If it aint broke, fix it until it is?

Processor Phenom II X4 965 BE @4 GHz | NB @2600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x 8GB PC12800 @1600 MHz CL7 1T
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7950
Storage 2 x 500 GB -- HD502HJ & WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite E2202WS_WVS
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 w/ Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Logitech G15 (blue backlight)
Software Windows 7 - SP1 x64
I like Linux and all other Operating systems as well but, Windows is still the most popular and often the best solution, hands down. But, if you want to rebuy all your games, go for it. (I am sure the profit managers will thank you.) :slap:

Next thing you know is you're gonna tell us Linux needs video and sound files to be converted in order for them to play?

Don't laugh just yet, guys — I've actually had someone tell me they were afraid of using Linux because of us supposedly needing to convert files...

You don't need to buy games a second time for them to run under Linux. They only need a Linux installer and your games will work under Linux (that is the case for UT2004 and Prey). Then, there are games on Steam or on gog.com that run natively under Linux.

Now, granted, the list isn't that long, but in no way we are required to buy a game a second time.

Tell you what, I don't think you actually like Linux as much as you say you do.

so which Linux versions is best? I hear Linux mint good?

I once tried Mint, but didn't like the desktop environment. I think it was cinnamon or something. Well, I ended up trying Manjaro, and it's been nothing but great. It's basically Archlinux (a very powerful distro), only for human beings. People who've tried Archlinux before will know what I'm talking about...

Feel free to ask me more on Manjaro. I think it's great that some of us are interested in other operating systems. :)

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
The first paragraph sets up a false basis that all of us ran out and bought ipads and tablets, and/or approved that it was a positive change away from computers with keyboards. I know multiple people that have postponed buying a new laptop because they don't want Win8.

Next thing you know is you're gonna tell us Linux needs video and sound files to be converted in order for them to play?

Don't laugh just yet, guys — I've actually had someone tell me they were afraid of using Linux because of us supposedly needing to convert files...

You don't need to buy games a second time for them to run under Linux. They only need a Linux installer and your games will work under Linux (that is the case for UT2004 and Prey). Then, there are games on Steam or on gog.com that run natively under Linux.

Now, granted, the list isn't that long, but in no way we are required to buy a game a second time.

Tell you what, I don't think you actually like Linux as much as you say you do.

I once tried Mint, but didn't like the desktop environment. I think it was cinnamon or something. Well, I ended up trying Manjaro, and it's been nothing but great. It's basically Archlinux (a very powerful distro), only for human beings. People who've tried Archlinux before will know what I'm talking about...

Feel free to ask me more on Manjaro. I think it's great that some of us are interested in other operating systems. :)

Oh cool, so ALL my steam games, origin games, boxed games, gamefly games, greenmangaming games, Good old Gaming Games, Gamestop digital games and other digital download games will all play on Linux natively out of the box for free, great! :laugh: Yes, if you want a Linux version of a game, lets say the original Crysis, you will have to buy it again. (Of course, there will never be a native Crysis for Linux anyways so that point is only hypothetical anyways.)

I like all OSes but I am going to use what is best for the job. For gaming, that is windows. (Windows is best for the job in many other areas as well but, we were speaking of gaming at this point.)

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
We need to be able to sage threads.

System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
I'm so pleased with win 8.x That I would like to give every microsoft employee that worked on it a new car. That car would be equipped with a four-way joystick instead of a steering wheel and extralarge dumbed down win3.11 looking icons on the dash.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm so pleased with win 8.x That I would like to give every microsoft employee that worked on it a new car. That car would be equipped with a four-way joystick instead of a steering wheel and extralarge dumbed down win3.11 looking icons on the dash.

And every time you turn on the turn signal a screen pops up and completely blocks the windshield.

System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
And every time you turn on the turn signal a screen pops up and completely blocks the windshield.

Shouldn't be giving them all the extra options next thing you know they will want a push to start button.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
First off I want to thank bta for an excellent editorial not filled with random Robin Hood references of greedy corporations taking advantage of people by distributing the corporations product how they see fit.

Also I would like to inform people on here playing the same old song that they hate change that they are a niche market. A niche market that is RAPIDLY shrinking. PC enthusiasts are one step away from HAM radio operators. Your opinion of an OS has ZERO weight on the market trend we are currently in. Tablets, smart phones and smart TV's are the future. The sad little grasping on an era of bygone days is not only sad but embarrassing to me as a member of a tech community that used to pride itself on keeping up with the latest hardware/software.

Windows 8 is different. Its not bad because its different. Its what the future holds and the longer you fight it the more you sound like that grumpy old man who refuses to use his grandsons computer because snail mail is just fine. I've used Windows 8 now in a fast production environment (making money) and once I learned how and where everything was I can tell you its far more intuitive than windows 7 ever was. Never mind vastly more secure. I'm not afraid of change in the tech world. I not only expect it.....I WELCOME IT. That's what REAL enthusiasts do.

On a final note to the people attacking Bta.......You mental giants in all your wisdom should go and start your own website. I'm sure it will steal all the traffic from Techpowerup with your vast tech knowledge and vendor contacts. W1zz will be cleaning your toilets in a week and you will have all the Bettys pulling on your shorts........I'm sure you will be a huge success indeed. Don't let TPU hold you back any longer. Leave! The world is starving for your mental wisdom you juggernauts of knowledge!

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
ive used 8 before and ive seen several customers with it (Uverse Tech Here) and Id rather customers have Windows 7 or XP.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
why change something that has worked for desktop users for decades?

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
First off I want to thank bta for an excellent editorial not filled with random Robin Hood references of greedy corporations taking advantage of people by distributing the corporations product how they see fit.

Also I would like to inform people on here playing the same old song that they hate change that they are a niche market. A niche market that is RAPIDLY shrinking. PC enthusiasts are one step away from HAM radio operators. Your opinion of an OS has ZERO weight on the market trend we are currently in. Tablets, smart phones and smart TV's are the future. The sad little grasping on an era of bygone days is not only sad but embarrassing to me as a member of a tech community that used to pride itself on keeping up with the latest hardware/software.

Windows 8 is different. Its not bad because its different. Its what the future holds and the longer you fight it the more you sound like that grumpy old man who refuses to use his grandsons computer because snail mail is just fine. I've used Windows 8 now in a fast production environment (making money) and once I learned how and where everything was I can tell you its far more intuitive than windows 7 ever was. Never mind vastly more secure. I'm not afraid of change in the tech world. I not only expect it.....I WELCOME IT. That's what REAL enthusiasts do.

On a final note to the people attacking Bta.......You mental giants in all your wisdom should go and start your own website. I'm sure it will steal all the traffic from Techpowerup with your vast tech knowledge and vendor contacts. W1zz will be cleaning your toilets in a week and you will have all the Bettys pulling on your shorts........I'm sure you will be a huge success indeed. Don't let TPU hold you back any longer. Leave! The world is starving for your mental wisdom you juggernauts of knowledge!

I will patiently await until MS require you to kick yourself in the nut (or something akin to that effect) to log into their newest greatest OS with "change". :rolleyes:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
1rule- put back the real start menu that's been used since xp, put back the Aero interfce.

You know, there's an OS for that. Its called Windows 7.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
ref Mailman's fiery sermon: Let's see....everyone I personally know, young and up to middle age has a PC, and only uses tablets and smartphones AWAY from the home, but not for their primary or enthusiast tasks when home, and then there's the ever-increasing numbers of pc parts sold. Nope...as an enthusiast I'm definitely not in a rapidly shrinking niche market. What I am in is a market that has room for people to have lots of computer related toys...as do I, so I believe I have indeed embraced change.

And I don't believe very many on here have personally attacked bta (those few that have are the exception), but I believe we are all voicing our opinion in response to what is obviously an EDITORIAL, which is in itself opinion. For centuries, editorials have invited return opinion both in agreement and against the premise of the editorial. I don't believe any of us should be called out for voicing our own opinion, whether for or against, unless the rules have changed and this is now an autocracy that allows only one viewpoint?

Just my 2 cents and opinion.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Because what happened in computing decades ago is hardly relevant today. The majority of people only use their computer for three or four things. Those tasks are better served by Metro. Micosoft is trying to find a balance between computing a decade ago and computing a decade from now.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running

Change for the sake of change, sigh ...