• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Direct LAN gaming setup

System Name Lenovo 17IMH05H
Processor Core i7 10750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1660 Ti
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Benchmark Scores i've got a shitload of them in 15 years of TPU membership
I've had many problems over the years configuring a direct TCP/IP setup for 1 VS 1 LAN gaming. Mostly due to incorrect addresses or antivirus blocking. Still i've managed to resolve the problems.

I am using the standart IP setup: 192.168.2.1 for PC1 and 192.168.2.2 for PC2.

First question:

Does the subnet mask and default gateway matter? I just leave the subnet mask 255.255.0.0
and the default gateway i leave empty. Or should i not?

Second question:

I have a dual RJ45 motherboard. One is connected to the internet, the other to the LAN. But if LAN is enabled between the 2 computers, my internet connection is lost. How to resolve that?

Third question:

Since i have dual LAN motherboard, could i host a LAN sever for 2 other computers? So that 3 people could play in one server?

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
So what's wrong with spending $15-20 on a basic LAN switch?

Your subnet is wrong. You need to have it at 255.255.255.0 , not 255.255.0.0
For pure LAN access, best leave the gateway empty.

If you use dual LAN, you need to pay attention to adapter binding order, if you want your internet to work, when your PC is also directly connected to another via LAN cable. Internet should go through the adapter that is on top (first) in the binding order.

You probably can't host a LAN server over two different adapters. Your PC would have two different IP addresses over two different MACs, and I'm not sure many games would be able to send/receive packets through two separate sources/destinations at once. I can't be 100% sure, though, because I've never been bonkers enough to try it, and not all games are created equal.

Buy a switch.

Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Can i bridge the 2 different Ethernet ports somehow and make them use a single IP so that 2 other computers could connect to me?

I have no problem buying a LAN switch, however... I bought this expensive Asus Z68 Deluxe motherboard not for good looks. What's the use of the 2 different Ethernet ports if can not use them at the same time?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Can i bridge the 2 different Ethernet ports somehow and make them use a single IP so that 2 other computers could connect to me?

I have no problem buying a LAN switch, however... I bought this expensive Asus Z68 Deluxe motherboard not for good looks. What's the use of the 2 different Ethernet ports if can not use them at the same time?

You didnt buy the motherboard for two LAN ports, if you did then... yeah...
Buy a switch that costs nothing.
If you dont need the internet, buy a single crossover cable and plug it between you and your friends machine. Job done.
If you need internet, plug a LAN cable into your second ethernet port connecting to the internet, then bridge both ethernet ports.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w

Redundancy, Teaming and Wank factor :D

Best option is to just buy a switch. You can use both at the same time but it can be a real pain to setup properly.

Y
If you dont need the internet, buy a single crossover cable and plug it between you and your friends machine. Job done.

Cross-over cables are so old school lol :D modern adapters should be able to detect the correct mode.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Redundancy, Teaming and Wank factor :D

Best option is to just buy a switch. You can use both at the same time but it can be a real pain to setup properly.

Cross-over cables are so old school lol :D modern adapters should be able to detect the correct mode.

When I was at school me and my friend chewed through a LAN cable so we could twist it into a crossover cable and cellotaped it. Played CS 1.6 for a year before the teachers caught on that we were playing LAN games on their laptops. Wireless was too laggy.

System Name Chaos
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
A bridge works in theory - you get one IP and one (virtual) MAC for all bridged adapters. However, it adds processing overhead, latency, and doesn't work for all games/applications, especially ones that rely on UDP communication.

Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
You didnt buy the motherboard for two LAN ports, if you did then... yeah...

No i did not.

Buy a switch that costs nothing.

These days routers have build in switches. What would be the difference between a switch and router for LAN setup only?

If you dont need the internet, buy a single crossover cable and plug it between you and
your friends machine. Job done.

It's what i have been doing for the last 10 years...:rolleyes:

A bridge works in theory - you get one IP and one (virtual) MAC for all bridged adapters. However, it adds processing overhead, latency, and doesn't work for all games/applications, especially ones that rely on UDP communication.

Well i have not done this before. But i assume that bridging the two ports will mess up my internet later on, i will be able to unbridge the ports later, yes or no?

especially ones that rely on UDP communication.

I assume Starcraft, for instance, will not work then?

System Name Chaos
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
You can un-bridge at any time, of course. I believe Windows will even keep your individual (pre-bridge) LAN ports' settings.

Dedicated switches are substantially cheaper (if comparing between devices that are any good at all), and very rarely, some (lousy) routers will add some noticeable (10+ ms) latency, that's all.

Starcraft might work over a bridge, you'll have to try. I know CS has some problems with that approach (and it's on UDP as well).