• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Winner in Q2, Intel Up, NVIDIA Down, According to Jon Peddie Research

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Also Nvidia are fooling themselves if they think the Titan/780 and 770 have a market left or are even going to stand a chance against Volcanic Islands.
That kind of depends on three factors that as far as I'm aware haven't been factually proven. Firstly, what VI actually brings to the table performance wise. Secondly, whether the VI parts are a whole series or just a single GPU, and thirdly when the cards actually see retail availability.
From what you're saying, you seem to intimating that you have definite proof of at least two of those three factors. Feel free to share this knowledge.
AMD will instantly devalue their entire lineup, which will piss off and butcher Nvidia's so-called "boutique" GPU market
Well, that's the way of all things GPU related. Nvidia's cards are probably overdue for a price cut since the 7970's (and stillborn 7990) overly long tenure as AMD's flagship has extended the Titan/GTX 780's inflated pricing past what would be the norm. As for devaluing the entire Nvidia lineup that depends on what AMD release...and when. Hopefully a lot and soon, because if you think that a single price drop of the halo parts would "butcher" Nvidia's market (hint: it probably wouldn't. Nv could still likely lop $100 off the 780 and $300 off the Titan and still not affect those SKU's under them), then AMD must have already been butchered, wrapped, cooked up and had a fork stuck in it after cuts in April 2012...July 2012...September 2012...and of course the further price cuts for the 7970GE and 7990
which may not be much in percentage but is their highest margin market by far.
I think you'll find that the pro graphics Quadro and Tesla market offer the highest margins, and substantially higher returns as a division than do the combined GTX 780/Titan sales....especially if this price is to be believed

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
No, because no PS4 and Xbox One shipped in Q2-2013.

I was under the impression AMD was manufacturing the chips now and getting paid for it. Are they not manufacturing those next gen chips yet? :confused:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Pretty much the only people buying GPUs are the gamers, except for a small percentage of new builds.

Really? Because last I check there was a GPU in every computer.:rolleyes:

Oh the PC industry is hurting and it has nothing to do with competition from Apple and Google. Blame it all on the government and the economy.

Apple and Google are part of the PC Industry, and their hurting too. Apple PC sales have been down for quite some time now.

Where are you buying from?
HumanSmoke not arguing with you on any of this...
Newegg has had a nice dual fan Sapphire 100351SR 7970 3GB OC with Boost for $310 - $30 off with coupon code VME10BTS [Exp 8/19] (when you check out with V.me by Visa) - $20 rebate [Exp 8/31] = $260 with free shipping.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6214812-SAP...rt-Video-Card-OC-with-Boost-3-games-290-AR-SH

That kind of depends on three factors
Perhaps another factor as to Titan/780 having chance to stand against Volcanic Islands is: How much can Nvidia reduce GK110 based cards before they're feeling pain? Well a least Titan, because isn't Titan the same spec chip used in a Tesla/Quadro offerings. I wouldn't think they’d want to fire-sale GK100 as along as it can be sold in their Pro-graphics lineup. I don't know if Nvidia will be willing to take a 30% drop as long as it can be sold as a Professional Workstation Graphic solution at a much higher margin. I suppose that all depends on how sales of that spec pro graphics configurations is selling?

Last edited:

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
That kind of depends on three factors that as far as I'm aware haven't been factually proven. Firstly, what VI actually brings to the table performance wise. Secondly, whether the VI parts are a whole series or just a single GPU, and thirdly when the cards actually see retail availability.
From what you're saying, you seem to intimating that you have definite proof of at least two of those three factors. Feel free to share this knowledge.

Well, that's the way of all things GPU related. Nvidia's cards are probably overdue for a price cut since the 7970's (and stillborn 7990) overly long tenure as AMD's flagship has extended the Titan/GTX 780's inflated pricing past what would be the norm. As for devaluing the entire Nvidia lineup that depends on what AMD release...and when. Hopefully a lot and soon, because if you think that a single price drop of the halo parts would "butcher" Nvidia's market (hint: it probably wouldn't. Nv could still likely lop $100 off the 780 and $300 off the Titan and still not affect those SKU's under them), then AMD must have already been butchered, wrapped, cooked up and had a fork stuck in it after cuts in April 2012...July 2012...September 2012...and of course the further price cuts for the 7970GE and 7990

I think you'll find that the pro graphics Quadro and Tesla market offer the highest margins, and substantially higher returns as a division than do the combined GTX 780/Titan sales....especially if this price is to be believed
http://hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1888/small_GPU-revenue.png

AFAIK it has been common knowledge that Volcanic Islands will be a series of GPUs, only thing left to confirm is what the parts will be sub-named to (Hawaii XT or whatever). The thing is, had Nvidia released the Titan & GTX 780 a year ago, not only would they have made a crapton of money, but they would have had their place in the market as the "premium" brand. Instead they release them 1 year late & ridiculously overpriced. And when I said these are their "most profitable" cards, I meant in the consumer market.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
HumanSmoke not arguing with you on any of this...
Newegg has had a nice dual fan Sapphire 100351SR 7970 3GB OC with Boost for $310 - $30 off with coupon code VME10BTS [Exp 8/19] (when you check out with V.me by Visa) - $20 rebate [Exp 8/31] = $260 with free shipping.
That sounds like the exception that proves the rule if ever I saw one. The fact that the coupon code is only valid for a couple of days kind of points to a time sensitive offer.
No doubt there will be other special offers, and most certainly further broader based price cuts- but as of today...
Perhaps another factor as to Titan/780 having chance to stand against Volcanic Islands is: How much can Nvidia reduce GK110 based cards before they're feeling pain?
Well, firstly how large is the GeForce GK 110 market in relation to Nvidia's overall revenue? How many GeForce GK 110's are salvage parts that haven't made the Quadro/Tesla grade (hint: 100%)?
It's only natural that AMD and Nvidia trade blows. When one is on the offensive the other is on the ropes. I've heard ATI fanatics forecasting a red tide sweeping all before it since the days of the Rage. R200, R300, the R400 based PE's, RV770, Evergreen, Northern Islands, Southern Islands were all supposed (to some) to write Nvidia's epitaph. But you know what? VI will likely raise the bar, AMD will enjoy the spotlight previously reserved for the GK 110, the consumer will still pay through the nose unless they pick through the bargains of a defeated line of top dogs, Nvidia will counter with Maxwell, and AMD will talk up Pirate Islands....and so on....and on....and on...
Well a least Titan, because isn't Titan the same spec chip used in a Tesla/Quadro offerings.
Tesla K20X.....2688 cores...15 SMX....384-bit...6144MB GDDR5....1:3 DP
GTX Titan......2688 cores...15 SMX....384-bit...6144MB GDDR5....1:3 DP
I wouldn't think they’d want to fire-sale GK100 as along as it can be sold in their Pro-graphics lineup. I don't know if Nvidia will be willing to take a 30% drop as long as it can be sold as a Professional Workstation Graphic solution at a much higher margin. I suppose that all depends on how sales of that spec pro graphics configurations is selling?
The GeForce branded GK 110 are salvage parts that don't meet the thermal/power/runtime requirements for Quadro/Tesla validation. The situation isn't any different from CPUs ( Intel Xeon versus Core i7 Extreme for instance. Stability/reliability over straight line speed). Likely Nvidia would have released (drip fed) a consumer GeForce in any case since the PR gained would outweigh the loss of revenue from the dies being sold under Quadro or Tesla nameplates. Care to guess how many forum threads and posts, how many news/speculation articles, how many reviews the GK 110 has generated ?
AFAIK it has been common knowledge that Volcanic Islands will be a series of GPUs, only thing left to confirm is what the parts will be sub-named to (Hawaii XT or whatever).
And that's only thing to confirm? Care to show me any performance data?
The thing is, had Nvidia released the Titan & GTX 780 a year ago, not only would they have made a crapton of money, but they would have had their place in the market as the "premium" brand.
Judging by forum members benchmarks/systems, I'd say that the price premium hasn't deterred a significant number of people from buying the cards. The Titan especially sold quite well at introduction. The only "Titan killer" was one of Nvidia's own making- The GTX 780.
Instead they release them 1 year late & ridiculously overpriced.
No and Yes. Overpriced I'd agree on, but since they've sold well you can't blame Nvidia for picking the wallets of the enthusiast crowd....there's always the option to say no thanks.
The late assertion. Not really. GK110 was always intended primarily as a pro part, and those lucrative (and high profile) contracts were always destined to be filled first with the pick of the litter.
And when I said these are their "most profitable" cards, I meant in the consumer market.
Pro graphics and math co-processor profitability >>>>>>>>>>> GK 110 GeForce profitability.
How many $650/1000 GeForces would Nvidia need to sell to get anywhere close to the pro sales made from ORNL (~19,000) and a whole raft of lower profile Cray XC30/XK7, Fujitsu, HP projects ( Piz Daint, USC, Big Red II etc.) not to mention the aforementioned "green" alternatives and the workstation market- remember that Nvidia owns ~80% of the pro graphics market)

Care to guess how many forum threads and posts, how many news/speculation articles, how many reviews the GK 110 has generated
That sounds like the exception that proves the rule if ever I saw one.
Perhap true, as they now own "all of the die's" from each wafer, they might as well sell at steap dicount then just not do nothing...

Good to see how you read the Tea-Leaves

Last edited:
System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
@HumanSmoke

btw Titan and K20x has 14SMX, 1SMX is disabled.