• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Coolermaster v10 on DX58SO (Ram above CPU)

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard Intel DX58SO
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro
Memory 12GB Tri-channel Kingston HyperX T1
Video Card(s) Dual Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Storage 64GB OCZ SSD + 2x 320GB HDDs in RAID 0
Case Silverstone Raven RV03
Power Supply Seasonic X750 Gold
Software Windows 8
Hello! Sorry if this is the wrong section, between motherboards and coolers being in separate sections and the fact im not after the usual recommendation on a cooler but wondering how it fits... I hope general hardware will do :D

My motherboard is an Intel DX58SO, the configuration has the ram above the CPU. Commonly it is to the right. I am interested in buying a coolermaster v10 but I want to know first, can it fit beside the RAM. Does anyone have this configuration so I can be sure that the ram is not pushed by the cooler. The motherboard has 4 memory slots, the closest one and the second share a channel, then the third and fourth have their own channels. Populating the farthest 3 allow for optimal tripple channel configuration. The cooler completely covers the first slot (no problem), but the memory chip in the second is bent considerably :( the memory is kingstons T1.. (big ones) so if anyone can tell me about how far over the v10 cooler goes onto the memory slots that would be great, remember my memory is above the CPU.

the extended part of the cooler will not be going over the memory but across to where the northbridge is (or should I call it.. eastbridge o_O)

Yes I have checked the dimensions online but I want to be certain as this is a biiiig cooler. My CPU is one very toasty i7 920, and the cooler looks niiice so i probably wont be interested in anything else plus the northbridge is also not the coolest one ive had so this cooler covers that with its big sideways thing that would conventionally cool the RAM..

But anyway, does it fit!?

Thanks!! :D

Fire_Inside

System Name Uhhh a computer?
Processor i5 3570k @ 4.2
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-UD3H
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS
Memory 8 Gigs Crucial 1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7970
Storage 1 TB Seagate (<--- Boo)
Power Supply OCZ 600 Watt
Don't buy the V10... If you want a high end air cooler buy a phanteks ph-tc14pe.

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard Intel DX58SO
Software Windows 8
Don't buy the V10... If you want a high end air cooler buy a phanteks ph-tc14pe.

I have this odd feeling that a cooler with 140mm fans wont fit when a 120mm barely does..

Fire_Inside

Processor i5 3570k @ 4.2
I have this odd feeling that a cooler with 140mm fans wont fit when a 120mm barely does..

You might be right, but I think better options are out there then a freakin V10....... I don't want to sound like a phanteks "phan boy" but look at the phanteks tc14cs

This will clear the ram no prob and it's a great cooler better then the V10.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard Intel DX58SO
Software Windows 8
You might be right, but I think better options are out there then a freakin V10....... I don't want to sound like a phanteks "phan boy" but look at the phanteks tc14cs

This will clear the ram no prob and it's a great cooler better then the V10.

umm.... thats still a 140mm :p
Though the cooler may clear the height of conventional RAM, mine are Kingston HyperX T1 (very tall) and the RAM sits above the CPU, which changes the question from wether the cooler tall enough (even the V10 isnt) to wether it is slim enough. I just held a 140mm fan over my current cooler an it is slightly wider than the heat sink. So simply put no 140mm fan that doesnt clear the height of Kingston T1 will fit.

My current cooler is'nt a bad cooler by any means, its just a little wide. It does seem bigger than a 120mm however and i am only interested in a definite upgrade so I must ask, what's so bad about the V10? It uses 120mm and the TEC will ensure lower temperatures than nearly any air cooling solution. And it looks cool.... (will be replacing fans).

Fire_Inside

Processor i5 3570k @ 4.2
umm.... thats still a 140mm :p
Though the cooler may clear the height of conventional RAM, mine are Kingston HyperX T1 , which changes the question from wether the cooler tall enough (even the V10 isnt) to wether it is slim enough. I just held a 140mm fan over my current cooler an it is slightly wider than the heat sink. So simply put no 140mm fan that doesnt clear the height of Kingston T1 will fit.

My current cooler is'nt a bad cooler by any means, its just a little wide. It does seem bigger than a 120mm however and i am only interested in a definite upgrade so I must ask, what's so bad about the V10? It uses 120mm and the TEC will ensure lower temperatures than nearly any air cooling solution. And it looks cool.... (will be replacing fans).

Its a c type cooler....... Do you know what that is?

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard Intel DX58SO
Software Windows 8
Its a c type cooler....... Do you know what that is?

Do now :)

So the Rams out of the way, but after looking at reviews it doesn't do that great a job. I did have a hard time finding reviews that compare it to my current (freezer 13 pro) but the V10 looks nicer, and is very likely to do a better job of cooling.. and just to top it off the airflow goes the right way.. I still don't see whats so bad about the V10? It will probably be quieter too (after replacing fans..). I'm not worried about the size as long as it fits

Fire_Inside

Processor i5 3570k @ 4.2
Just buy the V10 then... Have fun.

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard Intel DX58SO
Software Windows 8
Well if you can't suggest any reason to buy another then I will?

Now if there is anyone with this motherboard and the v10, can you let me know how does it fit?