• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon R7 260X Pictured, Too

"Curacao," in our best guess, is a variant of "Pitcairn."

Well I don't know how much they could tweak/optimize Pitcairn to get it much better, it didn't do bad for its size and power. Thought the idea that they fuse 2x Bonaire's would yield 40% more in SP's give a 256-Bit bus, could be very interesting.

But what is a Bonaire XTX... Could we suppose AMD might have been binning something from Bonaire production that was higher spec and sitting on them? They always seemed to “allude” that Bonaire was as good as the 7850. I’ve never came across a true block diagram for Bonaire, could AMD have a 16 compute unit (1024Sp) part, then go with a little more memory at 6400MHz instead of 6000Mhz. Or, even 7Ghz effective could be possible if they could see a price drop on say some nicer Samsung chips, instead of just the Hynix that have been norm and spec’d to run at 1500 MHz (6000 MHz GDDR5 effective).

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Or, even 7Ghz effective could be possible if they could see a price drop on say some nicer Samsung chips, instead of just the Hynix that have been norm and spec’d to run at 1500 MHz (6000 MHz GDDR5 effective).
Samsung (and Elpida) 7Gb/s have been confirmed by multiple sources (inc the MSI rep here)as being in very short/non-existent supply for some time...which pretty much just leaves Hynix....who incidentally have just had a fire at their Fab 1 and Fab 2 plants which produce DDR3 and GDDR5 chips ( you may of heard about it). According to this Bloomberg report, 50% of Hynix's DRAM output comes from these plants (hence the skyrocketing price due to the market share that Hynix has), and the press release (reprinted by Kitguru here) notes that the GDDR5 produced is used by the latest Nvidia card releases. Since the same GDDR5 IC's are used by AMD cards...

So if Samsung and Elpida are supply constrained, and Hynix's production has taken a sizeable hit, it's likely plausible that contract fulfilment is not going to be on time in the short term- so a lot would depend on PC Partners on-hand stock - at least for the high-end IC's, and how much (and of what type) GDDR5 PC Partner received to get the initial tranche of AMD reference cards produced (FWIW most large board partners seem to rely on JIT management, keeping inventory relatively low). I couldn't see relatively expensive 7Gbps GDDR5 being utilized on what appears to be a midrange card, when there are obviously some better deserving (and higher profile/margin) candidates around.

Samsung (and Elpida) 7Gb/s have been confirmed by multiple sources (inc the MSI rep here)as being in very short/non-existent supply for some time...which pretty much just leaves Hynix....who incidentally have just had a fire at their Fab 1 and Fab 2 plants which produce DDR3 and GDDR5 chips ( you may of heard about it). According to this Bloomberg report, 50% of Hynix's DRAM output comes from these plants (hence the skyrocketing price due to the market share that Hynix has), and the press release (reprinted by Kitguru here) notes that the GDDR5 produced is used by the latest Nvidia card releases. Since the same GDDR5 IC's are used by AMD cards...

So if Samsung and Elpida are supply constrained, and Hynix's production has taken a sizeable hit, it's likely plausible that contract fulfilment is not going to be on time in the short term- so a lot would depend on PC Partners on-hand stock - at least for the high-end IC's, and how much (and of what type) GDDR5 PC Partner received to get the initial tranche of AMD reference cards produced (FWIW most large board partners seem to rely on JIT management, keeping inventory relatively low). I couldn't see relatively expensive 7Gbps GDDR5 being utilized on what appears to be a midrange card, when there are obviously some better deserving (and higher profile/margin) candidates around.

No I hadn’t heard the 7Gb GDDR was to be in short supply good to know… thanks! And aggree that if supply is tight it would go to the higher-end Über market stuff.

While at first it was reported the fire at Hynix Wuxi plant was mostly contained to they said, "the packaging area where they integrate chip to the DDR3 stick for mainly desktop parts and spared the Fabs". Although the latest word is the fire was with Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) machinery that was being installed and the smoke and soot did look to compromise at least one Clean room that could be bad.
http://www.itworld.com/hardware/374064/hynix-fire-and-memory-prices-what-you-need-know

But the problem is the speculators are hoping to drive price up on everything memory related, even if it’s not effected or part of the demand. I see Bloomberg and DRAMeXchange looking at it as reporting turmoil in what should be a commodity. Heck even that kitguru artical you liked is spouting BS when they said "High performance GDDR5 from these FABs is crucial to the production of nVidia’s fastest GeForce GTX cards, so if you were thinking about buying one – then NOW might be the right time." Now, I've yet to find a Titan or GTX780 that uses anything but Samsung parts?

I didn't hear that the Hynix's Wuxi plant even made such higher end GDDR chips?
The sky is falling…

D

Deleted member 24505

Good time to buy memory for selling on when the price goes up, which it will according to Casecutters link.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
You can probably fill in the blanks
Yea that when all the release day Titan reviews got rounded up and tallied it could OC 11% above the reference 6008DDR effective. Even that was a little skewed as W1zzard reported 17% from his reference review which had Sammie's. So more often those will provide a 6668 effective with OC'n.
http://www.gpureview.com/

While in W1zzards' the GTX780 Lighting he said "overclocked quite poorly because of the Elpida memory" Neliz's post is like saying they "bait and switch".

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Who asked?

Yea that when all the release day Titan reviews got rounded up and...blah blah blah
You stated that you hadn't seen a Titan or GTX 780 that didn't have Samsung modules.
I provided examples.
I gave you some indication why these other modules were being used.

End.Of.

I didn't ask for some convoluted diatribe on overclocking and your interpretation of MSI's business practice, nor is it apropos to the prior discussion. If you have an issue with the MSI Lightning we have a thread for that