• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Android Vs iOS: A Mussels review

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
To summarise this as briefly as i can, i have owned many phones. i currently own or have access to: Galaxy S1, S2 and S3 and the iphone 3GS, 4, and 5.

I have used and enjoyed all of them, and found flaws with all of them. and yet despite owning both sides of the smartphone fence, i ALWAYS deal with ignorant people giving me hatred for owning the 'wrong' phone so i figured what the hell - lets do a review, TPU style.

I will be going through things in the order an owner of either phone would - stuff like calls and text, making contacts, copying music to the phone.

Part 1. The phones. Samsung Galaxy S3 vs Iphone 5.
These two are more or less from the last generation of smartphones, as direct rivals and competitors.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-4910.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

GSM arena has all the detailed specs, so i'll reference those two links a bunch. look there, the site is quite educational.

(GSM arenas photos)

At the time of writing, the galaxy S3 sells in the $300-$500 price range depending on whether its the 3G or 4G model. i have the 4G (LTE) model).

The iphone 5 sells for upto $900 in aus for the 32GB model.i will not deal with 'contract locked' phones because those are for crazy people who don't know how to find a good phone plan.

Part 2. hardware features and accessories:
Saying it outright: apple has more variety in cases, bumpers, stickers, and speaker docks than should rightly exist. you can find a case with any Pokemon you want that glows in the dark and shoots fireballs at people who get the passcode wrong (well, you get the point)

Well known android devices like the galaxy S series get almost as much, but the lesser known phones (galaxy mini, ace, etc) suffer a lack of options as a comparison.

'specialty' accesories tend to swing androids way, especially in the case of the S3 and other high end devices.

Heres a list of things the most android devices (and the S3) has that the iphone 5 doesnt (and neither does any new iDevices)

*HDMI. Yes, you can get a lightning to HDMI adaptor - but its terrible. it uses airplay and streams a compressed, low quality HDMI image that cannot do 1080p - the cable itself has a CPU in it to do what the iphone 5 (and all lightning cable devices) cannot.

1. $7 cable from ebay that does 1080p perfectly while charging the phone, or a $50 cable with quality issues.... hmm, someones trying to make you buy an apple TV.

2. Memory cards/storage expansion. i added 32GB of storage to my S3 for $25.
At the time of writing this, i see a $180 price difference between the 16GB and 32GB black iphone 5 at kogan.com.au - and thats money you have to cough up when you buy the phone.

android can be fussy installing apps to SD cards, so its normally used for photos, music, and video files. still - doubling or tripling the amount of those you can store so easily is fantastic.

3. Chargers and cables: Most android devices use standard micro USB cables to charge which is a plus in their favour (cheaper and more common) while apple requires a special apple only cable, and charges far too much for a glossy white charger. (Hint: the android chargers work just fine for apple products)

Since someone asked, both the iphone 5 and galaxy S3 charge at 500ma on USB ports, or an old 'dumb' charger. Modern wall chargers add some resistance to their data lines to indicate they're capable of higher current (1A or 2A usually)

Iphone 5 and S3 are capped at 1A by default - third party tweaks allow the S3 to charge upto 1400ma (1.4A) but its not really recommended. i run at 1200.

Part 3: Usage!
The UI. look at iOS7 and look at the latest android. they look the same - and they work very similar.

Key differences:
Apple do not let you:
*Scroll to the left of your main screen (its nice to say, put system stuff on the left, and games on the right. why should i have a search menu there instead?)

*Put blank spaces for icons (hard to arrange/organise icons)

*Change any themes, colors, or parts of the OS. just the wallpaper. For comparison, android lets you change how everything looks - you can entirely replace the keyboard and its autocorrect.

Apple have done this to make every apple device look the same, and to be instantly able to jump from one apple product to the next - or even a friends or family member, without any learning to do (except where the hell they hid angry birds)

Android lets you change it to however you want - at the cost that if you change it too much, it'll be really weird when you upgrade to another phone without those changes.

One difference that really doesnt matter much, is that apple put EVERY setting - even for apps - inside their own settings app. in android, its usually inside the app itself. want to change a setting about your contacts? its in the contacts app - not four menus deep in the settings app.

Android also has widgets - these CAN be power consuming, but really handy. think the weather icon for the weather app, but its background changes to clouds when its cloudy, and it updates the icon every hour to show the actual temperatures.

Part 4: apps!
normally this is where you'd see pages of content, but i'm going to keep it very simple.

android has way, way more apps than apple - and many of them are shit.
iTunes has apps that tint your photos green for $1 and call it 'night vision', so hey - both have shit on them.

The one key difference here - where android wins another point - apple controls everything on their phones. if its not from iTunes or the apple app store, you cant install it, end of story.

Android? there are many stores (googles play store is merely the biggest, most official one) and you can just install apps directly. Google removed adblock from the play store, but thanks to android have the ability to 'sideload' apps, you can literally download it in the web browser from your phone and install it.

Its a security risk - you COULD install a cracked app with a virus in it, just like you COULD drop your iphone in a toilet.

part 5: file transfer
Older android devices use USB mass storage, which works just like a flash drive for file transfer to a PC.
The S3 uses 'MTP' and 'PTP' modes which function similar to use, but add extra features no one will ever use.
Iphones just say 'screw you' and only allow you to read (not write!) photos without itunes. nothing but reading photos can be done, without third party tricks and hacks (mostly jailbroken stuff)

Both required some driver or software to transfer music across via USB - in the case of itunes, it took more steps and more time to achieve, which i take as pressure to buy the songs from itunes itself.

Apple devices dont let you transfer files between each other - a song on one, is stuck there. two iphones can sit right next to each other, and you cant even bluetooth a photo - its all about uploading it to the internet (costs you data, makes your phone company happy).

A conversation i had with my mother-in-law-to-be was her asking why no one can bluetooth photos to her, and brought up that the iphone is missing features antique nokias older than facebook have - the ability to bluetooth photos, music, ringtones, anything is very noticeably absent on iphones.

part 6: media playback
Music is awesome on both. i used my bob marley Zion headphones and music sounds awesome on both with default settings. you likely couldnt tell them apart unless your headphones are worth more than the phones.

Worth noting that apple give you just their itunes media player with a few equaliser presets, android you can install dozens of players with different setup, features, and sound tweaks.

A cheap android device will likely sound like crap, but if you get something at the same price as an apple product, it will sound equally as good.
Iphones tend to have a bit more power behind their headphone ports, allowing high end headphones to work better. they also allow in-line volume controls on their headsets, which is convenient for many.

I call it even for audio. iphones on average have better audio hardware (S3 is pretty much even), but have more restricted software (no .FLAC audio for the audiophiles).

Video files! apple and android play back various 'standard' files just fine. throw in a high definition H264 video in .MP4 container and both work fine and look great
throw in a 10 bit video or something else less mainstream, and you're screwed on apple. MX player let me do software decoding and play files back my laptop struggles with. (10 bit anime files w/ subtitles)

playback quality: great on both - android as always, you can just change to another player for a different look, feel, or features. the default player on the phone cant handle the 10 bit files, but MX player can. hell dice player lets me play them with picture in picture over the top of facebook - wasting time on the toilet at work has never been so productive.

apple DO let you install alternative video players, some adding in extra container support (.MKV for example) - but they're still stuck with most of the same limitations as the apple player (apple wont let them add codecs that arent hardware accelerated by the phone). you also cant change the default player on the phone - say, if you click a video link in a web browser, you get no control over what actually plays it.

As an example - if you installed VLC player as an alternative player, it would need a second copy of every file you want it to access, copied across via iTunes on a computer. many extra steps, wasted storage space on the device.

winner of this one is clearly android. apple have this locked down tight to boost itunes sales, and dont want you using media not from them.

part 7: multi tasking!
some of you already know where this is going. apple dont actually do any multi tasking at all, except with their music player. The moment you change to another app the first one is 'frozen' and cant do anything.

perfect example: load up twitter and facebook at the same time. swap between them, and it has to reload everything like it was opened up just then. no background updates can happen. this is done to save battery life and stop someone accidentally leaving 20 apps open doing various things

part 8:
Internet speed:
just used the speedtest.net app, same sim card, same APN, same physical location (on the floor in my kitchen because i'm cool like that)

Yes, this is phone vs phone and not really about the operating system, except for one fact: i can change the APN settings on android, and my phone carrier has two options. guess which one the iphones are locked to? (hint: the slow, congested one)

Galaxy S3: wifi and then 3G
Cant argue with that - the 3G is as fast as my home internet.

iPhone 5:

Yes, my carrier icon is boobies. i'm very mature.
The iphone falls way behind on 3G speeds. i can only assume its optimised for 4G. retested and tried other servers, results varied a lot but this was the fastest - most got me 40KB/s :/

galaxy S4 bonus test:

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
work in progress

i meant to hit preview, and hit post XD

i'll finish this off in the morning, its 4am

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I own an S3, and while I agree that Apple phones aren't all they are cracked up to be, some of your statements about pricing aren't exactly right.

Chargers and cables: Most android devices use standard micro USB cables to charge which is a plus in their favour (cheaper and more common) while apple requires a special apple only cable, and charges far too much for a glossy white charger. (Hint: the android chargers work just fine for apple products)

While the S3 (and most android devices) can use a standard USB cable, unless you connect the phone to a special charging USB port it takes 3x longer to charge compared to using the manufacturer's power adapter, and those are not free.

1. HDMI. Yes, you can get a lightning to HDMI adaptor - but its terrible. it uses airplay and streams a compressed, low quality HDMI image that cannot do 1080p - the cable itself has a CPU in it to do what the iphone 5 (and all lightning cable devices) cannot.

a $5 cable that does 1080p perfectly, or a $50 cable with quality issues.... hmm, someones trying to make you buy an apple TV.

Except a MHL to HDMI adapter is not $5, more like $20-$25. Not to mention that Samsung changed its USB port so that the S3 uses a a different version of MHL than all previous phones, making your old MHL to HDMI adapters obsolete and requiring you to buy new ones.

System Name CTG Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Asrock B650M PRO RS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE
Memory 2x 16gb G.SKILL F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6800XT Gaming OC
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) MAG274QRF-QD | Asus vg248qe
Case SAMA IM01
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterx G6
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
While the S3 (and most android devices) can use a standard USB cable, unless you connect the phone to a special charging USB port it takes 3x longer to charge compared to using the manufacturer's power adapter, and those are not free.

3x times? nah, this is a joke ;), I can charge my phone in my computer as much as fast as my power adapter.. it's between 1 and 2 hours to full charge

2. Memory cards/storage expansion. i added 32GB of storage to my S3 for $25.
At the time of writing this, i see a $180 price difference between the 16GB and 32GB black iphone 5 at kogan.com.au - and thats money you have to cough up when you buy the phone.

Well, internal memory is faster than SD card, and if it dies, it's the phone that is bricked. Remember aswell that internal memory is faster ;)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
3x times? nah, this is a joke ;), I can charge my phone in my computer as much as fast as my power adapter.. it's between 1 and 2 hours to full charge

You can if you have one of them fancy powered slots, or a weak power adapter. 3x is most definitively (that word never ends does it?) the case for me.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming

You can if you have one of them fancy powered slots, or a weak power adapter. 3x is most definitively (that word never ends does it?) the case for me.

it's the amperage on your charger, you can get a high enough one for less than $10, so they still aren't as rare/expensive as iChargers.

Well, internal memory is faster than SD card, and if it dies, it's the phone that is bricked. Remember aswell that internal memory is faster ;)

i'm unclear on your point here. the point mussels was making i think, or the one i want to make is that storage space is more important than the speed difference between microSD cards and internal memory. I'd rather have the ability to cheaply add space. ALSO, I like the fact that I can take my card out to quickly transfer files to different devices, which i suspect is the real reason iDevices don't have sd slots.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
it's the amperage on your charger, you can get a high enough one for less than $10, so they still aren't as rare/expensive as iChargers.

Which is still more than "free".

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
It seems you choose Android over iPhone. Now Android versus Windows Phone? :D

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I own an S3, and while I agree that Apple phones aren't all they are cracked up to be, some of your statements about pricing aren't exactly right.

you are in another country.

Incorrect. all devices charge at 500ma off a computer USB port, and at their max rate from a wall charger (ususally 1A/5W). i HAVE tested this with a wall meter, iphone 5 and S3 perform exactly the same. i will edit that in later.

my USB 3.0 ports and two special high current ports on my motherboard all charge upto 1.5A as well, for quick charging.

Except a MHL to HDMI adapter is not $5, more like $20-$25. Not to mention that Samsung changed its USB port so that the S3 uses a a different version of MHL than all previous phones, making your old MHL to HDMI adapters obsolete and requiring you to buy new ones.

i just got one for $8 shipped... for the S3?

apple changing to lightning requiring a $50-~$80 adaptor seems worse in that case too.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

i'm unclear on your point here. the point mussels was making i think, or the one i want to make is that storage space is more important than the speed difference between microSD cards and internal memory. I'd rather have the ability to cheaply add space. ALSO, I like the fact that I can take my card out to quickly transfer files to different devices, which i suspect is the real reason iDevices don't have sd slots.

Which is still more than "free".

a $10 2A android charger will charge whatever you plug into it at upto 10W.

the rest is controlled by your phone - in my case, i can actually set the charge rate via software on the android

as to the storage, yes, buying a phone with more internal storage from the start is best - but expansions options - even if slower - are nice to have.

MP3's dont exactly require 50MB/s

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Being an owner of both phones at some point (currently on the S3), I'd like to point out that the iPhone has far, FAR superior headphone output. The S3 cannot drive my RE0's properly, even with the loudest tracks, whereas the iPhone can. To be fair, both fail at quieter tracks.

iPhone also has much better integration into things like car head units and home theater equipment.

I still prefer my S3 though, as it is stronger in most all other areas that I use them for.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Being an owner of both phones at some point (currently on the S3), I'd like to point out that the iPhone has far, FAR superior headphone output. The S3 cannot drive my RE0's properly, even with the loudest tracks, whereas the iPhone can. To be fair, both fail at quieter tracks.

iPhone also has much better integration into things like car head units and home theater equipment.

I still prefer my S3 though, as it is stronger in most all other areas that I use them for.

my sennheiser HD555's that i no longer use also perform better on the iphone, but in general those headphones suck without an amplifier. i didnt mention it for the simple fact that high end headphone owners tend to know they require a portable amp to function at their best.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
What music did you test with?

BTW excellent review!

Audio performance for the SGS3 also varies depending on what version you have. The international version has the best sound performance and is definitely on par with the iPhone 4 and 5 while the US version has an inferior DAC.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Nice review Mussels. Would be nice if you could find someone with a LTE sim so you can add a 4G comparison. If you cannot, I might be able to but not for a couple of days.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Audio performance for the SGS3 also varies depending on what version you have. The international version has the best sound performance and is definitely on par with the iPhone 4 and 5 while the US version has an inferior DAC.

I would like to point out that the audio performance of SGS3 UK version is worse than SGS2, and from my experience SGS2 is about on par with iPhone 4S. Tested using UE TF10. Nexus 4's audio sucks balls even compared to other phones.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I would like to point out that the audio performance of SGS3 UK version is worse than SGS2, and from my experience SGS2 is about on par with iPhone 4S. Tested using UE TF10. Nexus 4's audio sucks balls even compared to other phones.

The audio performance on most phones is awful, the last phone I had that actually felt like genuinely good audio was the 5800 XPress Music. Nothing beats a good dedicated MP3 player like a Cowon though.

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro

Many newer car head units and even some home theater setups are now bluetooth compatible which will eventually make this a moot point and hopefully get rid of that damn Apple adapter on every piece of audio equipment.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

I9305, going to assume its international.

Nice review Mussels. Would be nice if you could find someone with a LTE sim so you can add a 4G comparison. If you cannot, I might be able to but not for a couple of days.

sadly i do not have access to LTE. optus LTE is not available here, and i am not paying $10 for 250MB on telstras network, even for a review.

Many newer car head units and even some home theater setups are now bluetooth compatible which will eventually make this a moot point and hopefully get rid of that damn Apple adapter on every piece of audio equipment.

my car uses BT, and i freaking love it. i can just hand the phone over to a passenger and let them pick music.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
my car uses BT, and i freaking love it. i can just hand the phone over to a passenger and let them pick music.

while i don't go that far ;) I also LOVE the BT feature on my deck. Unfortunately the newest Android update broke track information streaming, though i expect it to be fixed shortly :) The quality is higher than the line-level output, and it's one less wire to deal with.

The biggest point, imo, is that I can switch songs using the deck controls and i don't need to look at the phone :)

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01

I do not say that iPhone is better.. it is just a fact that internal memory is faster. I do prefer putting a SD for my photos or video and having a real USB storage... it was just a point to give to the iphone .. if you compare 2 phones with same storage, this is different, you can add storage to the android (except those like the nexus)

I do use the stock power adapter vs my computer.. There not that much difference in charging time.

The device will charge the battery with what current it needs or the maximum, if the devices can draw more than the maximum. so if you phone use 700mA to charge, if you put a 2A, it will only use 700mA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1786088

if you use a USB3.0 port, it is up to 0.9mA for charging. USB 2 is up to 0.5mA if your device takes 1A, like my galaxy rugby LTE, it would be 2x faster, and almost as fast in USB3 (which I always use)

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i have a droid incredible 2 and a iphone 5. the droid has the better hardware and the iphone has the better design and OS layout. the iphone is more intuitive and is built much better, but is slower than the droid. the iphone, IMO, looks better. the droid i was able to add 32 gigs of storage for $30 bucks. you can't do that with the iphone.

i think both are really nice phones. if you want something simply to use is built really well then choose an iphone. if you want something powerful that you can customize then get a droid.

finally, just let me say that all the hype around fingerprint scanning is dumb. the droid does FACIAL RECOGNITION. it has done it for a while now.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I do not say that iPhone is better.. it is just a fact that internal memory is faster. I do prefer putting a SD for my photos or video and having a real USB storage... it was just a point to give to the iphone .. if you compare 2 phones with same storage, this is different, you can add storage to the android (except those like the nexus)

I do use the stock power adapter vs my computer.. There not that much difference in charging time.

The device will charge the battery with what current it needs or the maximum, if the devices can draw more than the maximum. so if you phone use 700mA to charge, if you put a 2A, it will only use 700mA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1786088

if you use a USB3.0 port, it is up to 0.9mA for charging. USB 2 is up to 0.5mA if your device takes 1A, like my galaxy rugby LTE, it would be 2x faster, and almost as fast in USB3 (which I always use)

most modern phones charge at 1A maximum, and USB 3.0 is capable of 1.5A - it was written on the box of my USB 3.0 hub, for example. 900 is just the 'default' there is a negotiable higher power mode for the more recent revisions.

System Name CTG Computer
Case SAMA IM01
so an higher amp charger will do nothing as the phone is limited. USB 3 or wall charger will charge at the same speed.