• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bigger monitor suggestion

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
Hello guys

I already have an incredible, high-quality monitor for gaming, but the size have become small for my current needs.

I'm thinking of switch to the Benq XL2720T as my own model.

The price is very high, but I noticed that in the same price range there's this.

ASUS MX299Q

Gaming on 21:9 ratio, I saw some videos on youtube and IPS panels have a better quality of colors.

Now I want to know it's worth to give up playing at 120hz?

And go to 21:9? Not all games support this resolution but that monitor is spectacular if the game support the res.

120hz is incredibly amazing and is hard for me to give up for a normal 60hz-

Case Cooler Master H500
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
I would recommend against 21:9 had a Dell 2913WM for a few days the reason i dont recommend it is compatibility, most games modern games are designed for 16:9 and dont support 21:9 you will get black vertical bars while playing games like Assasins Creed or ArmA 3.
Same with most movies i tried that dont have the right aspect ratio and look wrong, only some 720p clips scaled well.
Replaced it with a Dell 2713HM but that demands more power from you GPU.

Case Cooler Master H500
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
I would recommend against 21:9 had a Dell 2913WM for a few days the reason i dont recommend it is compatibility, most games modern games are designed for 16:9 and dont support 21:9 you will get black vertical bars while playing games like Assasins Creed or ArmA 3.
Same with most movies i tried that dont have the right aspect ratio and look wrong, only some 720p clips scaled well.
Replaced it with a Dell 2713HM but that demands more power from you GPU.

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah you right, i am scared by the fact that there are not many games optimized for the 21:9 aspect.

And see two vertical black bars after spending $ 600 for a monitor is a kick in the stomach.

Thanks for the suggestion but that monitor has a resolution too high for the GTX 690.

There are games that make you card sweat when put the graphics to the maximum even a dual GPU at 1080p.

Do not trust too much the reviews because in real life things may differ.

Im gonna get the 27 inch version of my Benq XLT

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
Yeah a while back I bought a 21:9 monitor like that asus... I think it was an LG...
I was shocked by how low it was... the screen area didn't look right for documents and stuff but games looked pretty cool.
To fit in with the res the monitor is very short in height and not that much wider than my old 24"... very weird looking and I couldn't get used to that.

I ended up returning it the next day and had to wait about 2 weeks for a refund before eventually settling for a BENQ XL2420T 120Hz monitor.

I'm not that happy with the BENQ as the 120hz panels all have terribly washed out colours... and to be honest I don't see that much of a difference with 120hz even using the lightboost hack... yes its smooth but I'd prefer to have good colours and contrast ands have always previously gamed on 60hz anyways.

I been looking at screens again but will wait I think as the 4k screens will start to saturate the market soon im sure and theres still a lot of life left in this BENQ

Case Cooler Master H500
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
Yeah a while back I bought a 21:9 monitor like that asus... I think it was an LG...
I was shocked by how low it was... the screen area didn't look right for documents and stuff but games looked pretty cool.
To fit in with the res the monitor is very short in height and not that much wider than my old 24"... very weird looking and I couldn't get used to that.

I ended up returning it the next day and had to wait about 2 weeks for a refund before eventually settling for a BENQ XL2420T 120Hz monitor.

I'm not that happy with the BENQ as the 120hz panels all have terribly washed out colours... and to be honest I don't see that much of a difference with 120hz even using the lightboost hack... yes its smooth but I'd prefer to have good colours and contrast ands have always previously gamed on 60hz anyways.

I been looking at screens again but will wait I think as the 4k screens will start to saturate the market soon im sure and theres still a lot of life left in this BENQ

Thanks for sharing your experience it helped alot !

For me 120hz is a big difference over 60hz now i cant step back because i notice that is slower and not smooth as 120hz... And is like gain some framerates in games.

You mention 4k, but we dont have any graphics card that will run games on 4k the res is just too much !

System Name Parts Arriving Now...
Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Noctua u14s w/push-pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD black 2TB
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 1440p
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-FI xtrememusic
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Window 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores n/a, system being built this week
I would never recommend someone go from 120hz back to 60hz for gaming. I would also never recommend going above 24" unless you also go higher in resolution because at the distance most people sit from their monitor you will start to notice the pixels more.

With that being said: If you really want the best of both worlds and you're willing to entertain some risk you should look into some of the korean monitors you can overclock to 120hz.

The Yamasaki Catleap 2B and the QNIX QX2710 II are two that people have had very good luck with. Also, a California based company Overlord makes a Tempest OC model based on the same panels (Samsung and LG PLS and IPS panels respectively).

Essentially, you get a 1440p monitor (2650x1440) which will make a HUGE difference in your games if your machine is capable of putting out decent FPS on that resolution. You also get the better color and viewing angle because IPS and PLS are meant for video and picture editing. They are also pretty inexpensive (300-500 for most, the Catleap is closer to 600-800).

The risk is this:

1) You get very little warranty support unless you pick up a SquareTrade warranty, these are mostly imported from Korea and it's impractical to ship it back unless it is DOA in which case most sellers will pay for it.

2) These are A or A- panels that were in a batch rejected for quality control by Apple and Samsung. That means you are playing the lottery when you order one, you could get an A+ perfect pixel no backlight bleed one...OR you could get dead pixels and significant bleed. The odds are pretty good you'll get a decent one, and at 1440p it's hard to see dead pixels unless it's in the middle of the screen. Most companies don't allow them in the very middle and up to 3-5 on the outer parts of the screen, but familiarize yourself with specifics.

3) You aren't guaranteed to get up to 120hz when you overclock. Many panels if you have a high end graphics card (or two) and a solid 24 gauge cable will make it there, but others don't get higher than 96hz or 110hz. 96 and 120 are magical numbers because they are multiples of 24 and that's what you want for movies and other content. It is generally better to run at 96 if you can't get all the way to 120hz without artifacts.

4) You have to be careful about image retention. You are pushing these pixels faster than they were rated to go, if you leave static screens up without a screensaver or sleep mode on your monitor you WILL get images. They generally go away after a couple hours at 60hz, but you would need to be swapping back and forth.

Personally, I'm up in the air if I want to grab a couple Korean panels and give it a try or stick to 24" 120hz for gaming. The additional size, picture quality and color would be nice...but at 600-1000 for two of them it's a big gamble...

Processor Intel® Core i5 6600
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 G1 4GB Gaming
Storage 256GB Intel SSD 525 Series
Display(s) 24" LG LED Monitor
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Seasonic MK12II 620W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
Thanks for sharing your experience it helped alot !

For me 120hz is a big difference over 60hz now i cant step back because i notice that is slower and not smooth as 120hz... And is like gain some framerates in games.

You mention 4k, but we dont have any graphics card that will run games on 4k the res is just too much !

Yea..There isn't much point going for something that you can only enjoy 'some' of the time..Stick with your 120hz I reckon animalpak!

JG :toast: