• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Launches Essence III Preamplifier, USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier

ASUS today announced Essence III, a USB digital-to-analog (DAC) converter with a fully balanced design and the latest Direct Stream Digital (DSD) playback designed for those who demand the purest audio quality and listening flexibility.

High-precision clocks and asynchronous USB virtually eliminate jitter, while separate printed-circuit boards for digital, analog and power ensure that the Essence III's audio delivery is crystal-clear and free of crosstalk. Remote-controlled volume driven by stepped attenuators allow output levels to be set with great precision - even from the far side of the listening room.

"Essence III is more than the flagship product of our audio range," said Ives Chiu, product manager of ASUS Multimedia Business Department, "it is a representation of how dedicated and how serious we are in the pursuit of high-quality audio. We have crafted Essence III to be just as satisfying to use as it is to hear"

DSD playback, precision timing and top-notch components deliver unmatched fidelity
Essence III has native support for both DSD64 and DSD128 encoding rates, allowing audiophiles to indulge in digital listening at the highest possible quality levels.

Pure-gold temperature-compensated crystal oscillators (TCCO/TCXO) and asynchronous USB provide exceptionally precise timing, enabling Essence III to deliver audio output with fantastic dynamics and ultra-low jitter for incredible fidelity.

Essence III has dedicated AD1955 DACs for each stereo channel and separate circuitry for analog and digital audio signals, and power. This thoughtful design and choice of high-end components creates a perfect balance that bolsters Essence III's top-notch audio clarity. Premium ceramic AD 827SQ and Japanese-made MUSES 02 operational amplifiers (op-amps) combine to enable Essence III to deliver profoundly rich sound for all types of music - from classical to rock.

Clean power for consistent delivery
Essence III is powered by a high-quality toroidal transformer that provides clean and consistent power and keeps noise contamination to a minimum. ASUS engineers also fitted the transformer with a unique strip of silicon steel to prevent energy loss by hysteresis, further supporting a smooth supply of power.

As well, Essence III's power supply delivers independent power sources to the left and right channels - minimizing crosstalk interference. It also employs a low-dropout (LDO) regulator that ensures stable power and German-made WIMA FKP 2 capacitors to reduce ripples.

Connect, control, admire and enjoy
With brilliant input and output flexibility and fine control, Essence III is an audiophile's delight.

Essence III's built-in amplifier is capable of driving 600ohm headphones with a single 6.3 mm jack connection or a balanced set that uses two mini-XLR connectors for the best possible signal clarity and minimal interference - perfect for those who demand the finest headphone control. Inputs can be made digitally via USB, Toslink, AES/EBU or coaxial cables, or via stereo auxiliary, while for line outputs stereo RCA (phono) and balanced XLR outputs are available.

For extremely precise control, Essence III includes a set of stepped attenuators that works for headphones and line outputs. The relay-based construction eliminates the distortion associated with traditional volume controls, while the line output can be controlled remotely - a very rare ability in DACs with stepped attenuators. A remote control is included and can be used to set both volume and input/output levels, allowing fine control from anywhere.

Designers from the Essence team spent considerable time perfecting Essence III's physical design. The front panel features power and input-selector buttons for quick control and device selection, minimalist indicator LEDs that provide clear, uncluttered input information.

The elegant case can be easily stacked with existing Hi-Fi equipment, while the surface is treated with a special coating that simply brushes off fingerprints - so Essence III stays looking great.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Asus is trying to fiind a means to stay in business, thus all the various non-PC electronics.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Asus is trying to fiind a means to stay in business, thus all the various non-PC electronics.

You think they're going out of business? Does your brain pluck these pointless items of conjecture from the nether?

D

Deleted member 24505

I've got a Lindy DAC, but this is pretty sweet.

Asus going out of buisness rolfmfao

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
I'm not an audio dude but how dare they fool us with USB connection .

USB is just one of the input, as you can see on the front panel, there is USB, optical, and coaxial. I'm currently using the Essence One, while it has the USB option, I'm using it via SPDIF pass-through(aka coaxial).

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
Hmm. Could be a nice unit depending on price.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
You think they're going out of business? Does your brain pluck these pointless items of conjecture from the nether?

Seriously, any time he posts, its some irrelevant negative banter in every news post he can manage to come up with such shit.

Asus is doing fine, There stuff sells pretty damn well.

As for this DAC/Headphone Amplifier, Id be interested to see what its priced at and any good review articles on it.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
To say the least,Jorge has a point but his reason is remarkably irrelevant :laugh:
Personally,i had enough with Asus DAC's.My previous experience with Essence One didn't end well.They sound too bright although comes with transparent sound and good sound staging.Not to mention their laziness to releasing new firmware to address constantly "sleeping over idle" and driver that works with 192Khz.For halves the price,you got Maverick D1 Tube which is 4 times better :shadedshu

Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
To say the least,Jorge has a point but his reason is remarkably irrelevant :laugh:
Personally,i had enough with Asus DAC's.My previous experience with Essence One didn't end well.They sound too bright although comes with transparent sound and good sound staging.Not to mention their laziness to releasing new firmware to address constantly "sleeping over idle" and driver that works with 192Khz.For halves the price,you got Maverick D1 Tube which is 4 times better :shadedshu

Funny, I've had 0 problems with mine, tho I'm guessing its because I didn't touch its USB mode. for that matter, anyone serious about audio wouldn't touch USB.

Last edited:
Case Cougar MG120-G
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Funny, I've had 0 problems with mine, tho I'm guessing its because I didn't touch its USB mode. for that matter, anyone serious about audio wouldn't touch USB.

And you suggesting that SPDIF is a "serious audio" ? :p

USB is just one of the input, as you can see on the front panel, there is USB, optical, and coaxial. I'm currently using the Essence One, while it has the USB option, I'm using it via SPDIF pass-through(aka coaxial).

There's nothing different between USB,Coaxial,Optical,S/PDIF,HDMI they are all the same manner as digital :nutkick:
Asus shouldn't name it to USB DAC if their port is nothing but trouble,or remove it for good and stick with coaxial,optical or S/PDIF.To make it worse,many tube amplifier out there such as Aune T1 or Maverick D1 sound more natural and much transparent with just less than half price.

Processor Phenom II X4 965 BE @4 GHz | NB @2600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x 8GB PC12800 @1600 MHz CL7 1T
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7950
Storage 2 x 500 GB -- HD502HJ & WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite E2202WS_WVS
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 w/ Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Logitech G15 (blue backlight)
Software Windows 7 - SP1 x64
And you suggesting that SPDIF is a "serious audio" ? :p

ummm? What??

SPDIF is just a general term for digital connection via either coaxial or optical. what else are you suggesting to use to send signal to the DAC? (besides the obvious USB ofc)

There's nothing different between USB,Coaxial,Optical,S/PDIF,HDMI they are all the same manner as digital

wrong again, SPDIF is capable of higher bandwidth than most USB connections, and lets not forget that SPDIF is driverless, it works with any source(cd players, tvs etc), USB on the other-hand, is only computer-bound and is often at fault of the drivers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

So would it be better to usb my usb dac or use the optical/coaxial output from my onboard sound to it?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
How much yaa think will be ?.. as i keep seeing the Essence I and it like $600.... Why the hell would some one pay $600+ for that when they could get the real thing..

How much yaa think will be ?.. as i keep seeing the Essence I and it like $600.... Why the hell would some one pay $600+ for that when they could get the real thing..

what makes you think it isn't the "real" thing? Ive used plenty of DACs in my life and the Essence One is among the top.

^this is my essence one+stx which all its op-amps replaced (LME49710HA / 1x LME49720HA), the internal layout of the ONE is absolutely beautiful, its blatantly that obvious care and consideration were put into the design of this unit.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Why not get a real A/V over this as to start with there is limited connections. Although i am not on about USB connection though but shit screw a USB connection.

And lets face it you going need real speakers to get any thing of a good sound from it.

Case Cougar MG120-G
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Sooo... For some of you guys, these things are, like... nothing but treble? Is that what you guys meant? http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/February-16-2012-17-16-24-Selection008.jpg

LOL...this one epic! :laugh:

ummm? What??
what else are you suggesting to use to send signal to the DAC? (besides the obvious USB ofc)

Let me elaborate for you.You said..

...anyone serious about audio wouldn't touch USB.

IMO serious audio doesn't deal with digital.Audio and sound enthusiast would choose monoblok pre-amp and tube amplifier over any best DAC out there even Burson's.
As for digital...

ummm? What??
SPDIF is just a general term for digital connection via either coaxial or optical
wrong again, SPDIF is capable of higher bandwidth than most USB connections, and lets not forget that SPDIF is driverless, it works with any source(cd players, tvs etc), USB on the other-hand, is only computer-bound and is often at fault of the drivers.

Yet you stated that S/PDIF IS digital connection.It doesnt matter S/PDIF winning by thousand GB/s over USB,like i stated before and i stand correct...There's nothing different between USB,Coaxial,Optical,S/PDIF,HDMI they are all the same manner as digital.
As for USB,have you ever know A/V Receiver such as Onkyo TX-NR609 with USB port capable?USB is not computer and or driver bound,it's just an interface.

what makes you think it isn't the "real" thing? Ive used plenty of DACs in my life and the Essence One is among the top.
^this is my essence one+stx which all its op-amps replaced (LME49710HA / 1x LME49720HA), the internal layout of the ONE is absolutely beautiful, its blatantly that obvious care and consideration were put into the design of this unit.

The Essence One is still one of the better sounding DAC/amps out there. Who cares about sampling rate above 44/48 kHz as long as those two work no quality is lost.
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Audio and sound is very subjective.You can count number as in RMAA or measure crossover filter Butterworth,Bessel or Chebyshev but the outcome always very personal,hence there is no "standard" in sound.
As audio enthusiast for PC market,we try to get everything maxed out reach for the best sound possible like changing opamps or do some recaps and don't forget wiring...thousand dollar wire and hundred dollar connector...every person has it's own preference.I didn't said DAC or internal soundcard is not meant for enthusiast but to insist DAC and internal soundcard are serious thing is just laughable to fellow audiophile.

Back to topic,Asus had to solve their problem first.Their USB port is just frustating for some,and yet Asus release another USB support DAC.$600 DAC that don't even work properly for nearly a year :shadedshu

First of all most of the quality USB audio interfaces have lower jitter than S/P-DIFF which is measurable. Compared to ultra high end CD and SACD players many of the USB audio solutions show better jitter measurements because the it is not relying on ancient storage medium and data recovery from those.

USB is plenty capable of speeds that exceed any bandwidth requirement of 5.1 audio and is more than capable of 384 kHz loss less playback (even though we have already established that anything above 44 kHz is useless and might yield worse results).

As the link I provided shows there is no evidence to show that digital audio is any different than analogue. Most of the people who enjoy "analogue" sound can achieve that by adding simple filters and equalize their gear.

Most bang for the buck is really simple for around $250 you get the O2+ODAC which is as close to perfect as you can get without spending over $800 for a Lake People or other fancier design.

Case Cougar MG120-G
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
As the link I provided shows there is no evidence to show that digital audio is any different than analogue. Most of the people who enjoy "analogue" sound can achieve that by adding simple filters and equalize their gear.

Most bang for the buck is really simple for around $250 you get the O2+ODAC which is as close to perfect as you can get without spending over $800 for a Lake People or other fancier design.

Yes,for me as analog worshiper that's the truth.Most of my perspective are bias on placebo effect so it's hard to distinguish between feeling and tonal saturation.In the end,people whom upgrade their audio equipment is just satisfying their soul to got enchanted by harmonic sound.

BachAudioDK

Detailed pics and more info on Essence III

Hello!

I found this website with some detailed info about the new Asus Essence III. hit translate in Chrome :)

Looks like there is some volumen adjustment potentiometers on the back for XLR levels ?
and a switch that says VR bypass (Volumen bypass ?)

It also has a Stereo phono AUX input!

According to this Hungarian site, it also uses AD 827SQ opamps 6 pcs total ($26+ opamp)
I guess it will not come cheap!

http://ipon.hu/hir/asus_essence_iii_celkeresztben_a_vajtfuluek/27271

I own the Asus Essence One, and I have been very happy with it from day one!
But I have modified my I/V section so it uses a passive resistor network for current to voltage conversion. This sounds very analog compared to Opamp I/V.

I have been missing the possibility to remotely adjust the volumen level, and now the Essence III seems to have this, so I am considering to buy this nice looking preamp!

The AnalogDevices AD1955 is also a sweet sounding DAC Chip, I have the AD1955 Eval board with one AD1955 and AD797 opamps.

Cheers
Flemming Bach
Denmark!

Last edited: