• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project SR-2 Desk

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
subbed like a mofo

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Hey there! Any update's for us mere mortal's? Hope everything is alright as it's been a while since the last one :eek:

Updates !

UPDATES :O

so here's what you might expect when I've been quiet for this long...

But just started a new job so on with the build :)

Frame back together and panels back on

Got the second pump, now I don't need to dismantle the current pc to rob its D5

Made the threaded strips that retain the I/O shield on the back panel... these took longer than you might think, but they turned out really nice.

Cut the mesh to size for the radiator chamber vents

Got the fans the other day so dropped them in

And checked to see if the board fits with the newly attached I/O shield ( it does :) )

currently at the point where all the places for HDD's and the aquaero are drawn on, so working out what needs to be cut to accommodate the wiring for everything and trying to deicide how I want the cooling to look :)

more to come soon.

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
AWESOME! Worth the wait :)

Do you plan to run the KB on top of the desk or are you building a sliding tray? Sorry if i missed it :eek:

Congratz on the new job and best of luck with it! :)

Processor q6600 G0 @ 2.8Ghz
Motherboard ex38 DS4
Cooling air
Memory 4 *1gig tracer ballistic
Video Card(s) sapphire dual bios 6950
Storage ssd- sandisk 120gb, sata- 2 500gb samsung in raid 1 & 1 samsung 400gb
Display(s) LG w2452tx
Case nzxt
Audio Device(s) na
Power Supply hiper 730
Mouse g9
Keyboard bt microsoft arch
Software win7
WOW epic build, your making very good of the equipment, and your work is looking quality, big thumbs for you, thanks for sharing

Tubes!

Been getting on with the wiring layout and tubing this weekend, so here's some pictures :)

Picked up some fittings so I could see what they look like in person and how many I'll need with the layout etc, got some test tubing too so don't get scared off by the horrible white tube.

Dropped the Radiators in one side and put the grills on, last thing I wanted was to put my finger through one of them whilst wrestling tubing.

This seemed like the easiest and least kink-worthy way to do the rads and it looks awesome, the pictures unfortunately don't do the fittings justice.

moved onto playing with the motherboard, so I cracked out the CPU and RAM blocks for a play.

these look nice, but I'll be swapping the angles for 90 degrees then I wont need any other rotary joints for the rest of the board (apart from ram block to res at the end)

Found some tubing from my last rig (shows the quality of Tygon as its been sat for 4 1/2 years and is still perfect) using the tygon gave a much better visual than the white stuff but it is only 7/16 so the real thing will be a smidge thicker but the extra flex was really noticeable compared to the XSPC white stuff. I was a bit shocked at the difference as a lot of people I've spoken to rave on about the XSPC tubing, but then again Tygon is about 5 times the price...

Spent the rest of today cutting down some offcuts of box section to start the hard drive brackets and they look good so far :)

Reverse progress :O

Had a setback with the wiring, I had to send back my Aquaero so I'll be jumping back on the fans and whatnot once I get a new one, should be trying to forge ahead with the rest of the wiring though.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
Just a quick update today, in the process of finding some bits and pieces so I finished the HDD mounts this afternoon.

Stole some screws from an old Thermaltake case I used to have (first water cooled build... memories...) then added some rubber dampers from a maplins DIY kit (it's screws were crap) then milled the indents into the brackets :)

Last edited:
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I repeat all the good things previously said. This is just amazing.

Iactus

I love the look of clear tubing, Such a shame it wont stay clear tho :/

Awesome! Your attention to detail is :D

I liked the white tubing, picked up 3ft to use in my next build lol

Patiently waiting the next "suckerpunch" lol

:toast:

Apologies!

It would appear ive been a terrible human being and forgotten to update this thread...

I hope this offering appeases, rolled up updates..

Evening, its been a while.

Firstly excuses

Got a grown up job, moved house, desk stayed put, now work in a different part of the country to where I moved to... (with the desk nicely placed smack in the middle)

On with the good bit,

put it back together and make some holes for wires...

Also some holes for tubes...

And more wires...

Add some bits n pieces

Sata Cables

I needed to raise the SSDs up by about 6 mm so the plugs fir correctly were I'm putting them, so I made these plinths for them that turned out rather well

Hopefully they'll look good once they get anodised too (brushed first)

Got a few of the more wierd and wonderful bolts I needed too...

Then my sleeving arrived...

Decided to sleeve the power cables that go under the cards in the SATA sleeving, which turned out really well.

I had hoped to use the bitfenix extensions I had managed to get hold of... but they looked too different to the sleeving I was using, so I made the executive decision to re-sleeve them...

A few people commented on how long the sleeving took... this may have been why... also if you sit down and work out how may cables are in this desk... you'll realise why this was a soul crushing exercise.

but...

it looks so much better for it :D

Dual PSU link sorted too.

and after running out of sleeving... got some more and daisy chained all the fans

usb cable here looks a bit grubby, I may have to do something about that...

and then put some better sleeving on the PSU...

Now for the bits you don't really see every day...

The issue of the screen stand I haven't really touched yet, the problem being, I cannot have my screen mounted to the wall as some desk builds do and I refuse to have a dirty great screen covering my motherboard that I've gone to great lengths to have in the middle.

So I got a triple monitor stand... then the upright...

needed to be bigger...

Make a push fit bung with a copy of the thread

and you get a 2.4m monitor stand... (shortest piece of that strength Aluminium I could get :) )

now for again a more fun bit, another issue, I have a set of 5.1 speakers that I love, so how will these go on? well, make a drop in mount on top of your screen stand, this was really fun to make, probably one of my favourite parts so far.

So now my speaker can perch above my screen without wall mounting, which will keep my land-lord happy.

A new addition to the workshop made this next piece very simple, everyone, Id like you to meet the future of "home" pc builds...

and it does things like this...

then you swap some bolts around

and after a while

Put some more holes in the back of the desk and voila...

A screen stand clamp, with floor plate

That's about it for now, this has been going on for a while but I'll be up at home sleeving the last (hopefully) of the PSU modular cables this weekend.

Then just the finer details to be done before coating the metal... I've hopefully got access to a polishing machine so I can brush the frame before it gets anodised too :D

Cheers everyone who's still interested, more to come.

Sam.

----------------------------------------------

Evening, been a bit busy as usual, working, holidays, moving house again, the usual stuff that gets in the way.

Firstly, my apologies for the quality of the pictures, the DSLR that I've been using is on it's holidays at the minute.

So...

Bored out the screen stand to fit the extension bar from the last update

This meant I could put the new screen on to cut the pole to length once I'd measured up with the speaker

Should be getting the side screens this week and I'll be mounting the left/right speakers to those :)

So I've been making my way through the little jobs that are finishing touches, ideally I wanted to do these whilst it was getting coated etc, but I was waiting on a few more bits n pieces.

Firstly a bit of a rant I never had at the time. If anyone else has used the EK SR-2 water block, you will be aware of the spacer shipped with the block. The instructions for which are shown below.

As you can see... it shows an EK compression fitting and the 3mm spacer that is in the box...

Here's the thing; if you compare the length of the thread on an EK compression fitting to the thread on an EK barb fitting, you will notice that the thread on the barb is about 1.5 mm longer than a compression. so this happens.

without "unreasonable" force you cannot get this fitting into the block.

HOWEVER... EK do (or did) sell a 1.8 mm spacer which you can buy separately. My point is this, if you're going to tell me I can use your fittings in the instructions, at least draw the instructions with a type of fitting that will actually work.

rant over... handily with the liberal application of a lathe you can work around this, just slap a fitting in and take a couple of mm off. I'm sure not that many people have this issue, but even less of those will have a lathe handy to fix it.

Problem solved and it didn't involve me shipping a spacer from Slovenia

The Bulkhead fittings needed shortening down as they were huge

And then finished off the sleeving :D

I had a quick test run of the soft felt topping to the frame which the glass will sit on

Finally one of the last pieces, got some grills for the underside of the rads, I was going to strip off the black anodising and redo it red to match the frame. But its just so pretty as is, I might just let it blend in to the black underside.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Busy weekend, I was planning on having the desk finished by the 20th, as I'll be moving into my new place, but it doesnt look like ill be able to get the metal work polished this week, so it may take an extra week or two to get the coating and anno sorted.

BUT

In theory, the metal work and building.... is done... the last of this was the side speaker stands.

First, turned some bits to mimic the current base for the speakers

Milling a slot in the back of these at the right angle to have the speaker vertical, then drill n tap the mounting holes

Then for the extension bars

Made some conical washers for mounting the bars onto the groove in the screen stand

That's it for this weekend, this lot took a bit longer than expected and I only had one day for desking this weekend.

Next week should be taking it all apart and I've got a plan to make the DVD drive a bit more entertaining too, so ill have a bash at that.

One word.... Soon...

Sam.

----------------------------------------------------

So, been getting stuff sorted for moving and getting the desk coated, a final count of fittings etc and then...

waiting to be brushed we now have the Red pile of bits,

waiting to be powder coated we have the black pile of panels and bits

and all boxed up and ready to go to the new house,

Bolts?.... anyone?

So, as soon as I can get it all coated it's good to go!

Sam.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Just to give a quick update; I've moved house, I have a room full of computer parts and no desk to put them in yet and getting the frame polished is proving annoying as the machine I was planning on using is broke.

However, it should be fixed this week, then all will be well with the world.

Also I polished up the screen stand as the machine I'm waiting on can't do round stuff properly.

You will all be please to know that the glass survived the journey to the new house and made it up the stairs without incident!

I also had to get my new landlords permission to move a radiator to accommodate where I'll be putting the desk... nothing like a nice simple move...

Also fun, try describing a computer desk to a contents insurer.

-----------------------------------

Hello! picked up the metalwork from the powdercoaters this morning...

Soon :)

---------------------------------------------

Quick apology, some of the pictures aren't quite right, as you can imagine. lighting was a bit of an issue :)

Right, so I basically gutted my room, took the bed out to give plenty of space to work, you can also see where I had to move my radiator to fit the desk into the room :)

First time I unwrapped all the metalwork...

I'm not sure of the rules on here for posting outside companies (if they aren't competitors etc) but if anyone would like the information on the Metal finishing company I went to, PM me, I couldn't be happier with them.

Firstly, I put on the felt strips which the glass will sit on

Cleaning out any extra powder that made it into the threads

Starting to get the brackets on and getting the frame together...

The switches go in as you assemble the frame

Love this photo...

Panels!

My flatmate laser cut me a matte black disk to cover the hole in the DVD drive, its simple and looks rather smart (about a million times better than the horrible sticker that was on it)

Now a "fun" part, group your PCI-e cables in overlapping groups of four and bind them together using a matching red thread.

Creating a core group which you can then attach the outer cables around.

(top part done)

This took a very...very long time, but was completely worth it. this was the most time consuming part of the build, but I used this approach on all the cables and they all now hold their shape without cable ties.

Starting the tubing :)

I then put the screen stand on, This is where the problem happened... I obviously needed to sand out the clamp so it would fit the newly powder coated pole. the clamp went on fine with some persuasion. However, the monitor stand armature which holds the screens did not.

Instead of making their screen stands out of aluminium, they are in fact made of cheese, sheared the clamp straight off the bar. I've got a new one on the way which has a more practical design which I can modify to fit the screen pole.

The moment of truth...

So currently the desk has all the screens just stood on the glass until I get the screen stand sorted, so I'll have some yummy pictures for you all in a week or so.

Current Clock/Cooling

Cpu(s) clocked @ 3.8Ghz
40 degrees Idle, 50-55 under load.

Gfx cards 45 Degrees Idle 55-60 under load

All with the fans at 70% (inaudible)

So the loudest things in the desk are the pumps so two D5's set to 3... its blissfully quiet.

Thank you to everyone who maintained an interest over the two years it took to make the thing, sorry for the wait, but I hope this makes up for it.

Sam.

gaetan

Epic Awesomness

I had to register to subscribe as I want...no... I HAVE to see the final result!

This is truly awesomely epic!

I really have to congratulate you on your work, this is really an impressive built, I'm actually jealous of your desk and of your talent on making this desk.

Keep on the good work, I'm impatient on seeing this desk finished.

P.S.: If, by any chance, you want to get rid of it ;) :p

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Your dad has an awesome work shop I am very jealous. Your results are fucking epic.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
oh man.....

It makes me wanna rob a bank so I can buy something like that :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

That looks awesome......... :rockout::rockout:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Not enough red... :p

Seriously though. Awesome.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
sorry i have to ...

HOLY GOTHER OF MOD!!! aherm i mean HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!