• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Huawei to Utilize 6 TB HGST Helium-Filled Hard Disk Drives in Storage Systems

Huawei, a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, today announced that the company has entered a partnership with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST), a leading HDD provider, to deploy the new HGST Ultrastar He6 6 terabyte (TB) helium-filled hard disk drives (HDDs) into its storage systems. Being one of the first vendors across the world to employ HGST's helium-filled HDDs, which feature the largest capacity in the industry, Huawei is dedicated to providing storage products and solutions with high capacities and reduced power consumption.

"Huawei is very glad to collaborate with HGST in the helium-filled hard drive domain. With a high-density design, the integration of this technology into Huawei's storage systems, will enable us to provide customers with storage products and solutions that offer bigger capacity, higher efficiency and lower power-consumption," said Mr. Fan Ruiqi, President of Storage Product Line, Huawei Enterprise.

"Huawei is one of the world's leading information and communications solutions providers, and HGST is excited to be collaborating with them on enhancing its innovative storage solutions utilizing our new 6 TB HGST Ultrastar He6 helium hard drives," said Mr. James Ho, Vice President, Asia Pacific, HGST. "With our industry-leading HelioSeal technology platform and the advantages of drive's high capacity, low power and low temperature, Huawei will be able to expand its product line with a strong competitive offering that will increase system storage density for better scalability and storage efficiency at a lower TCO for its data center customers."

Filled with helium gas instead of air, helium HDDs break the capacity limit caused by head recording of traditional HDDs, as helium gas has a far lower density which does not only help reduce aerodynamic shear resistance generated by platter movement in drives, it also allows standard 3.5-inch drives to house more platters. By deploying helium-filled HDDs while incorporating advanced high-density storage architecture, Huawei improves the capacity density of its storage systems by 87.5%, reduces power consumption required by 23%, and brings down room temperature generated by the machine by 4°C, as compared to current industry standards.

In addition, with the deployment of helium HDDs, Huawei further strengthens its position in Immersion Cooling Solution (ICS) for storage systems. ICS enables devices to maintain a stable operating temperature at a reduced cost. It also sets a foundation for future innovative designs of storage systems and data centers.

Through continuous innovations in storage technologies, Huawei is committed to providing advanced storage solutions for customers such as media organizations and scientific research institutions that need to store and manage massive data, helping them save space in their equipment rooms, bring down energy costs, and minimize noise pollution.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

For the love of everything that is overclockable, could someone explain to me how the hell do you pronounce this name? Huawei?

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
For the love of everything that is overclockable, could someone explain to me how the hell do you pronounce this name? Huawei?

Isn't it "Hu(Who) - a(wa) - wei(way)"?

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

But you cant overclock a He HDD

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Broken Butterfly.
Processor Intel Core i5-3570.
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE.
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
Memory 2x4gB Corsair Value Series.
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.
Storage 180gB Intel SSD 330 Series, WD Blue 500gB (AAKX).
Display(s) Samsung BX2031.
Case CM Elite 334.
Power Supply Corsair CX 430.
It is just Hua+Wei ;)

This.

As for the topic, I prefer singe HDD with huge capacities and this is lovely but that Helium thing... that, I dont like.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
HGST announced theses drives earlier and there's a discussion in the previous news article.

They claim to lower TCO, but I wonder how long the drives have to be spun up before the power savings outweighs the increase in cost over conventional drives. Then again, if you need, say, 24 TB of storage, having four drives instead of six should also help power consumption.

Last edited:
System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
It's so strange why Americans (or maybe English speaking nations) often have horrible problems pronouncing anything foreign.

Cause English is a very dull language. It borrows from everyone but doesn't have much elegance. We also don't like taking 2mins to figure out the right pronunciation, hence bad English dubs of Japan anime.

Course there is the flip side to that. English in anime is usually worse than something a toddler would say. I've only heard one series which brought in an actual English actor to speak English. The rest is just baby talk when you hear them. So there are plenty who cannot pronounce things in English very well either. But I can't blame them. Usually like Japanese their language doesn't have certain characters or pronunciations which English does so they need to translate a word a 2nd time into something they can pronounce.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
It's so strange why Americans (or maybe English speaking nations) often have horrible problems pronouncing anything foreign.

The same can be said for non-native English speaking nations in Europe who can't pronounce things like "J" (Jif was a well know brand of cleaning product in the UK for many many years and changed it's name about 10 years ago to Cif (Siff) as our European neighbours couldn't seem to get there tongues around the J, obviously there are many more examples but it's no different the other way around. And don't even get me started on some Asian and middle eastern languages :toast: