• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Toughpower DPS 850 W

Thermaltake decided to have their own digital power supply Series with the Toughpower DPS. Today, we will test the 850 W model which, according to Thermaltake, transforms into an intelligent platform via the DPSApp software.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyk

I believe the OEM manufacturer is not the CWT but SIRTEC!

For those who thought SIRTEC could not make top quality power supplies, i think now is clear! :toast:

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
wow, I really want a digital PSU like this so I can monitor my power usage. Such a cool feature and a lot of people are power conscious these days.

I had a 1200Watt Thermaltake PSU back in the day, its lasted a few years and eventually blew up after I upgraded my high-end graphics card lol. ANyway, I posted it back to Thermaltake and they sent me a brand new 1350 Watt PSU as a replacement, which I sold for new price and got a 850 Watt from another brand with money left over.

Thermaltake didn't make any decent PSUs under 1200 Watts back then but I would reconsider after this...maybe when they do a platinum model.

Tt is a brand i'm trying to trust all the time and all the time it fails on me a after a while. For the past 7 years or so i've tried working with serveral Tt PSUs for differant uses. The last one was a Tt Grand 1050W, it burned my GTX580 and caused some damage to other components.

I believe the OEM manufacturer is not the CWT but SIRTEC!

For those who thought SIRTEC could not make top quality power supplies, i think now is clear! :toast:

most likely is Sirtec but these DR caps, I have seen them only in CWT PSUs and nowhere else so far. So I included both just to be sure.

System Name "That computer next to my desk"
Processor Intel Core i5 - 12600K
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-P WIFI D4
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX PC3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB + 2TB Seagate SSHD + 4TB External Seagate HDD
Display(s) BenQ RL2755HM 27"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Audio Device(s) On board codec
Power Supply Corsair RM650i
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Raw
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 350
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores The scouter says it's over 9000
The fan grille looks like they went out and bought some storm drain grates... But then again, I don't use windowed cases anyway, so looks aren't really that important to me.

Tt is a brand i'm trying to trust all the time and all the time it fails on me a after a while

I bought a couple of their Purepower units back in the days before they started to get their act tohether, sometimes in 2006 I think. Those units killed not only a couple of mainboards, but also took out some hard drives. Nowadays they should be consistent for the most part. (Although they still may have some units in their lineup which are iffy at best). I still don't buy their units though. Guess I was burned too badly by those old ones. (Purepower 410W and 680W, old ATX 1.3 sold as "modern" 2.x PSUs)

Last edited: