• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP AMD Laptop - Can't Run Stock Clocks?

System Name Vengeance-C
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 mATX
Cooling BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 48GB (2x16GB / 2x8GB) DDR4-3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6600 (Swift 210)
Storage Samsun 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme / Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK 34" 1500R Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440)
Case Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5 Plus PCIe
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w
Mouse steelseries Rival 100
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse III
Software Windows 11 Pro & Fedora via Hyper-V
Got an HP Eny 6-1110us laptop (laptop1 in sig). I attempted to play some games on it, nothing heavy really, and its performance was substantially sub-par. After some investigation i realized it was not running the CPU at stock speed, or the GPU. The GPU portion is to run @ 443mhz, all it seems to run is 211mhz. The CPU does occasionally run @ 1600MHz, but during games, its chuggin along at a leisurely 900mhz. :cry:

I bought a laptop cooler pad (a coolermaster one with 120mm fan) but that hasn't helped any.

My main question is this: Any one else have similar experiences. Secondly, isn't this false advertising? I knew not to expect to see the cpu turbo much, but i would expect the system to run at its rated speed when tasked.

Attachments

• TPU-001.jpg
    TPU-001.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Boot into BIOS and disable power saving settings - it may default to these settings to keep heat (and warranty repairs) in check. Check all BIOS settings for ways to increase performance and fan speeds.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The CPU should never drop below 1.6GHz when under load, it is actually supposed to turbo to 2.4GHz, but the minimum it should be under load is 1.6GHz. The GPU should never be below 320MHz under load, and it should turbo to 443MHz.

I can almost guarantee the culprit is temperature. At idle the GPU is reading 85°C. I bet this is a case of completely shit cooling on HP's side, which they are known for. And those laptop cooling pads never help.

I'd check to see if there is a way you can control the fan speed in the laptop and make it run at full speed all the time, I'm betting HP runs the fan way to slow(or even turns it off most of the time) to keep the noise down, but it leads to overheating.

Edit: It also looks like there is a BIOS update for your laptop, Version F.15, you might try installing that to see if it fixes the issue.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I had the HP ENVY 6-1129WM(same specs), but sold it back in May...and actually just bought another one this last week off eBay(There is one left). It'll be here on Tuesday.

When I owned the original unit TPU's utility froze up the pc every time I launched it so I could never use it. Although, when I get my laptop on Tuesday I'll take a look and see at what mhz it's running at.

I've always liked the Coolsense program from HP, but with the new version that was on mine...it took away any ability to change settings, basically leaving you with on or off. Kind of ridiculous.

I'd make sure you have your power options set to hgh performance and then go into the advanced setting and change the cooling to active vs. passive. Your video card is running unreasonably high. These are essentially ultrabooks and the cooling isn't the greatest, but I could never get mine over the mid 60's even if I was trying. I'd also check to make sure that temp is being reported correctly, try speccy as a back up...if I remember correctly, it was reporting temps rather accurately.

These are great little notebooks, not heavy gamers...but my last one ran very well(after I ditched the 5400rpm hdd). I beat Borderlands 2 and Singularity on it without any trouble, but if I recall, some of the heavier games began to chug a bit.

I'll be back on Tuesday night...

Liquid Cool

P.S. I uploaded this picture of the base. Not much in the way of openings, but the cpu/gpu are right under these vents...I'd imagine you'd need a cooling pad that has fans toward the high side of the pad.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
System Name Vengeance-C
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4 mATX
Cooling BeQuiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 48GB (2x16GB / 2x8GB) DDR4-3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6600 (Swift 210)
Storage Samsun 970 Evo Plus 1TB Nvme / Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK 34" 1500R Curved WQHD (3440 x 1440)
Case Fractal Design Define Mini-C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5 Plus PCIe
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w
Mouse steelseries Rival 100
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse III
Software Windows 11 Pro & Fedora via Hyper-V
Thanks all for advice and opinions. I updated the BIOS, but there is nothing to play with other than Visualization (on/off) USB boot and date/time. The HP coolsense is as Liquid Cool described, merely on off. My bottom is exactly as pictured as well. I'm going to try another monitoring program later this week. Seems like i might be sadly out of luck. I did manage to get GTA: Vice City to play ok. Also got CoH to do reasonably well.

Perhaps its time to do a mini-ITX build ;)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I work on the envys everyday at work and the DV 6/7 laptops were notorious for heat. I have had 2 in in the last week (envy) and they required board replacements because of temp issues.

if you dont have stripes or its still under warranty get it replaced if it isnt re thermal it the bottom is easy enough to get off the bottom bezel pops off you disassemble from the bottom up on the envys.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I wanted to take a day or two to play with the laptop before I responded....:)

My HD 7600G seems to be resting at 211MHz too...that is, as long as there is no activity. I loaded up GPU-Z and started a log file, then loaded Tomb Raider and let the log go for awhile. Sure enough, it ramped up to 320, then 423.5MHz in no time. The load on the CPU you can see in the snapshots below, the first one is at rest, the second is with a load on the processor. I will mention....the temperature reported for the GPU in GPU-Z is incorrect. No to mention, the reported temperature in Speccy on the CPU as well as the GPU. A laser thermometer will confirm, they're just about 1/2 of what is being reported.

Now onto your problem of the CPU running at 900MHz. You're using a power saving feature somewhere. I have the 'High Performance' option checked in 'Power Options'. If you still have the 'ENERGY STAR Qualified' option checked that the notebook comes with from the factory...or any other power saving option checked...this lowers the MHz level the CPU is running at. When I did this to mine, it promptly lowered the CPU to 1.1MHz.

Overall, this little notebook, for an ultrabook...or sleekbook...or whatever label they want to put on it....runs pretty decent for the specs. Again, my GPU never exceeded the 60 degree celsius range after 15 minutes of gameplay. Although, in many cases I do agree with Solaris17's comments above. I've owned and repaired many many many HP laptops. Heat issues are very common.

Best,

Liquid Cool

EDIT: I also wanted to add....that in my original post above I mentioned that you can go into 'power options', advanced settings and change your fan profile from passive to active. I usually don't recommend doing that with these thin ULV laptops that already run cool. I'd also go into your BIOS(hit esc at bootup for the menu) and change the fan control from its factory setting of active to passive...and then your laptop will run much much quieter. After putting on some new thermal paste, my fan barely comes on at all.

Attachments

• atrest.jpg
    atrest.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 394
  • atload.jpg
    atload.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 392
Last edited: