• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Inching Towards an Increasingly ARM-based Future with "Seattle"

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD is inching toward a possible post-x86 future for itself, beginning with its enterprise product stack. In a blog-post, the company outlined a landmark product bearing its enterprise Opteron branding, codenamed "Seattle," which will be designed for scalar data-centers. Based on the 64-bit ARMv8 architecture by ARM, the chip will feature either four or eight cores based on AMD's own implementation of ARMv8, and a high-bandwidth integrated memory controller with support for up to 128 GB of system memory with ECC.

Since ARM-based processors are traditionally part of heavily integrated systems on chips (SoCs), "Seattle" will be an SoC, and among other things, will integrate a 10 Gb/s Ethernet controller, with support for AMD's FreedomFabric technology. Linux kernel 3.7 and above will come with ARMv8 architecture support, and Microsoft is already developing a Windows kernel with ARMv8 support that will be implemented on both its client (Windows RT, Windows Phone) product lines, and a future version of Windows Server. That said, AMD won't give up on x86. As the only active x86 licensee apart from VIA, AMD will continue to make APUs with 64-bit x86 cores for as far as the eye can see (in other words 2015). Future of its client CPU (non-APU) lineup based on the AM3+ socket, however, appears bleak.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I have a distinct impression AMD is backing away and trying to leave certain markets altogether. All in all, severely unimpressed with everything they've brought to the table thus far.

Nope AMD is not abandoning any markets they are just planning to cover them all with APUs.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
AMD is just trying to step away from 'I' monster. Now 'I' monster will follow AMD?

I have a distinct impression AMD is backing away and trying to leave certain markets altogether. All in all, severely unimpressed with everything they've brought to the table thus far.

And what is it that's so impressive about anything Intel for example or Nvidia have "come up with"?
X86 is just not all that relevant anymore. If tasks such as: video trans-coding, audio processing, audio trans-coding, encryption, decryption, graphics processing is officially done on non-X86 hardware on their Kaveri APUs, and we're not counting the many other potential tasks that are far better off handled by the GPU logic of their APUs.

I don't see how AMD's not going in the right direction with Mantle out, which will make GPU accelerate physics a hard reality (and it already is actually with the new consoles utilizing the GCN gpus for all kinds of collision detection and physics simulation calculations). These type calculations can be done tens of times faster on vector-like processors or GPUs...

As for ARM, you know Apple's A7 is said to have the IPC of a Nehalem chip... The dual core 1.3GHz chip is on par with a quad core Baytrail running at 50% higher clock speed. The A7 core has ~ 4x the IPC of a baytrail core, and it's actually more efficient while being manufactured using an inferior fabrication process node.

Take all that into account and you get a clear idea why Intel is paranoid of ARM.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Nvidia is also using ARM, most of the Heterogeneous supporters are looking at using it as well, X86 is dying and X64 is moving forward, and AMD holds the patent for X64. So its all a win for them, selling patent rights, and hardware, helping steer the market towards what they really want. X64 multi-core CISC/RISC with stream processors to do other heavy lifting in a HSA architecture and lower power ARM cores to offload RISC instructions to.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Meh, you can all say as you please about them moving in this direction. It all sounds a little less than dubious to me.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Meh, you can all say as you please about them moving in this direction. It all sounds a little less than dubious to me.
hows about you have a think now and again, the only company not going down this path is INTEL and there trying to get x86 as efficient as possible to beat an Arm powered train that left the station four years ago if not more(they have efff all chance of overturning qualcoms small core dominance let alone Arm in general) Everyone else is trying to add arm cores or are already there........................................

secondly only those uniformed types think intel is not trying to get hUMA and gpu compute up to par on there end, do you not think Windoze 9 (not8.2)might include full support for Hsa and if it did would Intel not have something along those lines as competition, they better or their ass is getting served as even Arms on Hsa.

Thirdly and not @ Rcoon but Op

Again with the bleak Am3+ bullshit and bleak Amd Big core Bs , Am3 has/will outlive 2011-E and both will be replaced around the same time, When Ddr4 is in the channel at reasonable-ish prices

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Freaken called it! Go AMD go!

Now I long for the day when Apple goes back to RISC so I can rub it in Mac user faces.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
hows about you have a think now and again, the only company not going down this path is INTEL and there trying to get x86 as efficient as possible to beat an Arm powered train that left the station four years ago if not more(they have efff all chance of overturning qualcoms small core dominance let alone Arm in general) Everyone else is trying to add arm cores or are already there........................................

secondly only those uniformed types think intel is not trying to get hUMA and gpu compute up to par on there end, do you not think Windoze 9 (not8.2)might include full support for Hsa and if it did would Intel not have something along those lines as competition, they better or their ass is getting served as even Arms on Hsa.

Thirdly and not @ Rcoon but Op

Again with the bleak Am3+ bullshit and bleak Amd Big core Bs , Am3 has/will outlive 2011-E and both will be replaced around the same time, When Ddr4 is in the channel at reasonable-ish prices

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57610120-92/intel-on-track-to-build-two-chips-with-arm-inside/

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...er-intel-announces-plan-to-fab-arm-processors

Google.

Intel is seeing the light due to their crappy Atom, and failure of most low power chips, and finally the overabundance of competitors already making good low power chips and the fact that X86 doesn't belong in low power in the duty they have given Atom.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57610120-92/intel-on-track-to-build-two-chips-with-arm-inside/

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...er-intel-announces-plan-to-fab-arm-processors

Google.

Intel is seeing the light due to their crappy Atom, and failure of most low power chips, and finally the overabundance of competitors already making good low power chips and the fact that X86 doesn't belong in low power in the duty they have given Atom.
my company uses Altera's cyclone and many other chips heavily and I fully knew/know all about that (ALtera Arm powered chip plus arm+fpga)but that is NOT an intel chip, and though they both hold an ARM license and intel may even use Arm cores in some of its chips (for security? though i think its just Amd)they are not consumer use cores and dont count as an intel cpu with arm processing cores ,,well googled though i read that a fair few weeks ago;), dont assume others dont have googlefoo though thats why i post no links, look for yourself imho.

my company uses Altera's cyclone and many other chips heavily and I fully knew/know all about that (ALtera Arm powered chip plus arm+fpga)but that is NOT an intel chip, and though they both hold an ARM license and intel may even use Arm cores in some of its chips (for security? though i think its just Amd)they are not consumer use cores and dont count as an intel cpu with arm processing cores ,,well googled though i read that a fair few weeks ago;), dont assume others dont have googlefoo though thats why i post no links, look for yourself imho.

If amd released a CPU / APU arm based with a motherboard with 4 or more sata ports id buy them tomorrow. To replace my NAS.
Id love an arm based PC for an NAS but you can only get 1 port arm boards :<

I think if AMD went the way of ARM they would be going in the right direction.
From what I have seen ARM who are risc based designed by DEC would pwn any X86 intel chip.