• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plextor to Introduce New Lineup of Solid-State Storage Solutions

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Plextor, a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media and storage devices, will introduce its new portfolio of consumer, enterprise and industrial storage solutions at a press conference in Las Vegas during the International Consumer Electronics Show.

Plextor will formally unveil its sixth generation M6 series consumer solid-state drive lineup. The new M6 series features next-generation firmware with 2.5-inch and mSATA solutions, as well as the addition of an ultra-fast M.2 PCI express SSD. Plextor will also introduce its new portfolio of enterprise storage products. Designed specifically for the cloud-computing environment, Plextor will present storage solutions for both read-intensive and mixed-usage server application that focus on reduced total cost of ownership and enhanced user experience.

Finally, Plextor will introduce new solutions for the rapidly growing industrial storage market. Plextor's industrial portfolio is designed to meet a wide range of challenging environmental conditions and demanding applications, including ATMs, POS, gaming, defense, and automotive solutions.

All Plextor SSDs feature design, development, production, and testing by Plextor's in-house team of engineers.

The press conference will be held at the Bellagio in Las Vegas on the morning of Wednesday, January 8, 2014, followed by a press breakfast and open Q&A with Plextor engineers, project managers, and executive team.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

PCIe based SSDs are where it's at. I'd be very surprised if this is not the dominant format within two years as they ramp production and costs drops. It's all good for consumers as long as you get a reliable SSD.

Technology is very good and performance is better and better, unfortunately, the price is so much higher than HDD, even hybrid HDD. If the price were similar with HDD, SSD would dominate the market. In addition, the advertised speed is different with dirty SSD in real application. The development speed does not match with price velocity.

Technology is very good and performance is better and better, unfortunately, the price is so much higher than HDD, even hybrid HDD. If the price were similar with HDD, SSD would dominate the market. In addition, the advertised speed is different with dirty SSD in real application. The development speed does not match with price velocity.

Unless you need a lot of storage capacity SSD pricing is reasonable and dropping all the time just as HDD pricing has over the years. Most people have no need for a terabyte of storage but they buy HDDs of this capacity because they can't get a faster, better HDD. Mechanical drives will still be around for another five years or so but all of the HDD makers are transitioning to SSDs because they know the HDD dinasaur is soon to die.

BTW, SSDs are still lightyears faster then mechanical drives even when "dirty". With proper algorithms SSDs maintain 90+% of their new drive performance for their entire useful life. Mechanical drives need constant cleaning to maintain performance even close to their new condition.

Unless you need a lot of storage capacity SSD pricing is reasonable and dropping all the time just as HDD pricing has over the years. Most people have no need for a terabyte of storage but they buy HDDs of this capacity because they can't get a faster, better HDD. Mechanical drives will still be around for another five years or so but all of the HDD makers are transitioning to SSDs because they know the HDD dinasaur is soon to die.

BTW, SSDs are still lightyears faster then mechanical drives even when "dirty". With proper algorithms SSDs maintain 90+% of their new drive performance for their entire useful life. Mechanical drives need constant cleaning to maintain performance even close to their new condition.
Thanks for your clarification. Yes, I know HDD will seem as a "tape" in the future. Now, I am using a SSD, but, in my subconscious, I am not sure if can work for me for 10 years. I have used a 10GB HDD from seagate since 1998. It can also work well so far. It looks program/erase cycle is not better with advance of NAND process. In my opinion, NAND structure is a transitional product, we must have a better material and structure for non-volatile, high speed and high density storage.