• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS ROG Announces Poseidon GTX 780 Graphics Card

ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced Poseidon GTX 780 with DirectCU H2O, a new graphics card with an exclusive hybrid thermal solution that enables extremely efficient cooling by either air or water.

The new card is powered by the latest NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 GPU (graphics-processing unit). With DirectCU H2O on board offering users the unique ability to cool either by air or water, ROG Poseidon GTX 780 achieves running temperatures that are up to 24°C lower than reference designs - that's up to 140% cooler for gaming performance that's up to 12% faster in both Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and BattleField 4.

ROG Poseidon GTX 780 is also loaded with ROG technologies and innovations, including dust-proof fans for increased card longevity, die-cast thermal armor for improved cooling in the crucial MOSFET area, DIGI+ voltage-regulation modules (VRMs) with black metallic capacitors power design for incredible stability and reduced noise. The new card also comes with GPU Tweak, an easy-to-use software that squeezes maximum performance from the GPUs - real-time graphics tuning and live streaming has never been this easy.

Exclusive DirectCU H2O technology for up to 140%-cooler and 3X quieter performance
ROG Poseidon GTX 780 is fitted with exclusive DirectCU H2O technology, which employs a combined air and water channel to provide complete flexibility for the user - and ultra-efficient cooling for the graphics cards.

A custom vapor chamber is in direct contact with the card's GPU for faster heat dispersal, while copper heat-pipes and extended cooling fins further transfer heat out and away from the card to keep it running cool. With water cooling, Poseidon GTX 780 achieves up to 24°C-lower running temperatures than reference designs - keeping the GPU cooler when using GPU Boost 2.0. With air cooling, Poseidon GTX 780 achieves up to 7°C-lower running temperatures than reference.

What's more, with standard G¼-inch threaded fittings, ROG Poseidon GTX 780 easily accommodate existing cooling equipment - so users can get going with water cooling right away.

The new card features dust-proof fans that deliver cooler, quieter operation and extend lifespan - Poseidon GTX 780's increased resistance to dust and other particulates mean that the card will remain working for up to 25% longer than reference designs.

Thoughtful power design that's built to last
ASUS engineers have designed ROG Poseidon GTX 780 to just keep on going. The card includes exclusive DIGI+ VRM with Super Alloy Power technology. Black metallic solid-state capacitors,10-phase Super Alloy Power concrete-core chokes and hardened MOSFETs all withstand much greater stress and heat due to the application of specially-formulated materials - increasing reliability and overall card lifespan up to five times (5X). DIGI+ VRM delivers digital voltage regulation that ensures ample room for experimental performance tuning - to levels unmatched by other graphics cards.

Poseidon GTX 780 also benefits from a tough back-plate that's made from an aluminum alloy and a unique die-cast thermal armor with thermal pads - preventing bending and further improving cooling in the crucial MOSFET and memory areas.

Immense gaming power that bathes in an awesome glow
ROG Poseidon GTX 780 includes GPU Tweak, an exclusive tuning tool that allows quick, simple and safe control over video-memory clock speeds, cooling-fan speeds and power-consumption thresholds - allowing the card's GPU to be pushed to its limits.

As well, the GPU Tweak Streaming tool lets users share on-screen action over the internet in real time - so others can watch live as games are played. It's even possible to add a title to the streaming window along with scrolling text, pictures and webcam images.

On top of this ability to unleash incredible power, ROG Poseidon GTX 780 also looks amazing, with a gorgeous LED light that glows a glorious red and pulsates majestically when the cards are active - a stunning reminder of awesome power at work.

AVAILABILITY & PRICING
Poseidon GTX 780 will start shipping worldwide from December.

SPECIFICATIONS
Poseidon-GTX780-P-3GD5
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
  • PCI Express 3.0
  • 3072 MB GDDR5 memory
  • 1006 MHz core speed
  • 2304 CUDA cores (stream processors)
  • 6008 MHz (1502 MHz GDDR5) memory clock
  • 384-bit memory interface
  • DVI-/DVI-D output
  • HDMI output
  • DisplayPort output

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Wonder if they will come out with a Ti edition?
The price on this card will be interesting...

Why i don't like the poseidon:

Simply put, it doesn't have the best air cooling a GTX 780 can get or the best watercooling it can get. That's the core of the problem.

If an enthuseist want to go water-cooling, he will, with a costum full-cover or half-cover water-block. He doesnt need additional cooling on the card.

If an enthuseist want air-cooled system, he will go full DirectCUII witch will provide better cooling to the card with closed, gas-fulled copper heatpipes that provide just over-all better temperatures.

So, the poseidon just falls between the two better options there are, and the price isn't helping at all.

Last edited:
System Name ASAS
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Patriot 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 T1 @ 1.5V
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Gaming
Storage Samsung 830 256GB + Samsung Spinpoint T133 HD400LJ 400GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster EX1920
Case Bitfenix Ghost
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889
Power Supply Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Simply put, it doesn't have the best air cooling a GTX 780 can get or the best watercooling it can get. That's the core of the problem.

If an enthuseist want to go water-cooling, he will, with a costum full-cover or half-cover water-block. He doesnt need additional cooling on the card.

If an enthuseist want air-cooled system, he will go full DirectCUII witch will provide better cooling to the card with closed, gas-fulled copper heatpipes that provide just over-all better temperatures.

So, the poseidon just falls between the two better options there are, and the price isn't helping at all.
You have something against hybrid cooling?

took them quite long to bring this card onto market. I had Cooler Master Hydra 8800 although it performed brilliantly it had one shortcoming- the water cooling barb solder came off too easily. I hope Asus Posiedon does not have this problem.

System Name My PC
Processor i7 4790k @4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte z97m-d3h
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133-9-11-11-31-1T
Video Card(s) GTX970 Stric oc
Storage Samsung 840Pro 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT
Case Lian Li 359
Audio Device(s) Denon DA-300USB / Denon AH-D5000
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10 64-bit home

While you are right for the cases you describe, I think this type of hybrid cooler is designed to provide the functionality of a waterblock card with an integrated radiator. You must admit that having 40-45 max temps on an heavily overclocked high end card is kind of an overkill anyway (and those are the temps you should get with a WC'ed card), so this offer from Asus is not bad, you will be getting not-so-high temps while having some heat dissipation at the location of the card silently.

You can essentially buy this GPU with the matching mobo that has optional watercooled heatsinks and manage to get a fully WC'ed system at a lower price.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
The temperature will surely fall! Everything is done here is added a narrow tube around vaper chamber which could become standerd add :) and thereby reduce the cost of acquisition of additional block! Review is on Guru3d !

System Name VALKYRIE
Processor Intel Core i7-4770K (4.7GHz, 1.300V)
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling Corsair H100i w/SP120 PWM HP Edition Push-Pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II (Boost 1175MHz, Mem 6808MHz)
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm 64MB Cache HDD
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 2560x1440 IPS 27"
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (OEM)
Why I don't like the Poseidon:

The card is already taller than an expansion slot and the G1/4 threads aren't 90 degrees.

Take that, slap a straight fitting on it, account for tubing curve, and you're looking at a total width of about a foot.

Not too many cases are 12 inches wide. The way the G1/4 threads on this card are oriented, you're basically forced to use 90-degree fittings. Not that that's a bad thing, but nobody ever said having options was bad either.

For people who can't afford a radiator/pump/reservoir though, I wonder if filling the card with coolant and capping the card with G1/4 plugs would improve heat transfer from the GPU to the heatsink. I mean, without coolant in the block there's just going to be air on the inside.

'
'Simply put, it doesn't have the best air cooling a GTX 780 can get or the best watercooling it can get. That's the core of the problem.

So, the poseidon just falls between the two better options there are, and the price isn't helping at all.[/quote] You make a good point , It's like buying a Corvette and the dealer says this car is also offroad capable . It wouldn't do a good job offroad .What I want to know is can you run both air & water simultaneously for a double wammy . I would imagine the fan sensors would run the blades very slowly if at all if you watercool .