• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seasonic 1000W Platinum fault?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Well, I tried a different household socket with only the PSU plugged in and still no joy. I think the problem is the earthing in the PSU. If it was mobo I'd have other power issues but like I say when it;'s on, it's rock solid.

I'll see what Seasonic say. If I'm not happy, I'll get my cash back and buy a Superflower unit.

They said this

Hi David,

Your replacement PSU was sent yesterday from Germany.

As I have mentioned to you before, we are in an unexpected shortage situation and we had to air freight the power supplies from our China factory to EU to fulfil our obligations. We apologise for the delay but the BitMine crazy took us by surprise.

Regards

FUCKING BITCOIN!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Well, this is worth a double post to smooth things out.

Just been contacted by Seasonic again to say they will (and they have) refunded my 250 Euros and will send a pre-paid shipping label to me as well. They've apologised and stated sales is only half their business as customer support is just as vital. They had to air freight PSU's from China having been hit by the unprecedented demand in higher end PSU's for mining. To be fair, a lot of the 1000w+ PSU's are out of stock where i normally look.

I'll keep you guys updated on the replacement PSU.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Sorry for the trouble you're having with Seasonic :shadedshu:

I have 3 of their psu's running in my rigs and may move over to Corsair exclusively in the future if their customer service is this questionable.

Good job Seasonic.... you're making ASUS look good at this point *probably a bit too harsh :oops:

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
BitCoin miners are ruining everything for us. GPU prices, and now devastating PSU stock. I hope they choke on their less than useful currency xD
Do you have an expected date on the new PSU arriving?

Good job Seasonic.... you're making ASUS look good at this point

Oh no, no no no. That sir is impossible.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
BitCoin miners are ruining everything for us. GPU prices, and now devastating PSU stock. I hope they choke on their less than useful currency xD
Do you have an expected date on the new PSU arriving?.

I'd imagine i'll have it Monday or Tuesday.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Is this a modular PSU by chance? I didn't read the whole thread.

seasonic rep

Seasonic Rep
Sorry for the trouble you're having with Seasonic :shadedshu:

I have 3 of their psu's running in my rigs and may move over to Corsair exclusively in the future if their customer service is this questionable.

Good job Seasonic.... you're making ASUS look good at this point

I am not familiar with Asus RMA policy but for sure this shipping delay issue for the54thvoid is not of the norm. In fact, we pride ourselves on our excellent RMA track record thus far but for sure, this time, yes, we dropped the ball.

Our RMA is handled by a 3rd party company and their stock is fed by our selling inventory held in The Netherlands. When the sales team cleans out our inventory, then the stock feed to our RMA service centre stops and problems start. We are now airfreighting products to meet demand.

That said, I hope we have sufficiently rectified the issue with the54thvoid but we won't know until he receives his replacement in the next days.

If you feel that this particular incident is enough for you to move to another brand, well, what can I say...?

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
If you feel that this particular incident is enough for you to move to Corsair, well, what can I say...?

DOWN with Corsair!

No? Too much?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Is this a modular PSU by chance? I didn't read the whole thread.

It's fully modular. And it was fine for a while in the new test bench. So there has been no cable wiggling or anything.

I am not familiar with Asus RMA policy but for sure this shipping delay issue for the54thvoid is not of the norm. In fact, we pride ourselves on our excellent RMA track record thus far but for sure, this time, yes, we dropped the ball.

Our RMA is handled by a 3rd party company and their stock is fed by our selling inventory held in The Netherlands. When the sales team cleans out our inventory, then the stock feed to our RMA service centre stops and problems start. We are now airfreighting products to meet demand.

That said, I hope we have sufficiently rectified the issue with the54thvoid but we won't know until he receives his replacement in the next days.

If you feel that this particular incident is enough for you to move to Corsair, well, what can I say...?

I'm now happy with the current situation and service from Seasonic, they fumbled the ball a wee bit but it's in hand again now. Hoping the new unit will make everything right. If not...it's an Asus mobo, lol.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
It's fully modular. And it was fine for a while in the new test bench. So there has been no cable wiggling or anything.

I'm now happy with the current situation and service from Seasonic, they fumbled the ball a wee bit but it's in hand again now. Hoping the new unit will make everything right. If not...it's an Asus mobo, lol.
Just for fun I would do two things.

1. Reseed all the cables. Just incase one is not ALL the way in. I know you think you're sure but a reseed never hurts.

2. When you reseed the cables check the male and female connections. If there is a little lose brass on either end you could have an issue like you are describing.

Just food for thought.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!

If you feel that this particular incident is enough for you to move to another brand, well, what can I say...?

You guys make a quality product that's for sure. However, I would be concerned if your subcontractor gets into the habit of dropping the ball and tarnishing the quality of your product(s) with customer service that doesn't meet the same standards.

If this is/was an isolated incident... Awesome, nothing to worry about! :toast: If not, it's a concern for me as a buyer and for Seasonic as a company.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

EDIT- note- I adjusted my previous post... the comparison I made may have been a bit too harsh

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I will say that I've waited longer for less reputable brands, and fortunately for @the54thvoid , at least the PSU works and you have a way to turn it on. I would be livid if I had a dead PSU and it took this long.

With that said, I hope I never need to test out the warranty on my PSU for any reason. Hardware failing is always a PITA.

Processor Intel i5-3570k @ 4.2
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Formula
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 FTW
Storage Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid SSD | Seagate Barracuda 250GB
Display(s) 24" 144hz ASUS VG248QE
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ASUS OnboardFX
Power Supply Seasonic SS-1050XM
Software Windows 7 64-bit
I'm going through just about the same ordeal myself with nearly the same problem. Unfortunately here in the states Seasonic doesn't have any kind of advanced RMA service which is a huge letdown. However, I have to say the turnaround has been quite fast. I shipped it on the 7th, they got it on the 13th and the new one should be here tomorrow or the 20th. Ground shipping from coast to coast is slow.

So far my RMA process has been stress free, though I must give Seasonic a negative mark because you are forced into paying to ship the defective unit back, and then they don't bother to 2 day ship your new one. It's not a deal breaker, but I would expect more from a company with such high-end products.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm going through just about the same ordeal myself with nearly the same problem. Unfortunately here in the states Seasonic doesn't have any kind of advanced RMA service which is a huge letdown. However, I have to say the turnaround has been quite fast. I shipped it on the 7th, they got it on the 13th and the new one should be here tomorrow or the 20th. Ground shipping from coast to coast is slow.

So far my RMA process has been stress free, though I must give Seasonic a negative mark because you are forced into paying to ship the defective unit back, and then they don't bother to 2 day ship your new one. It's not a deal breaker, but I would expect more from a company with such high-end products.

I completely agree. With WD doing 2-day and allowing advance RMAs and Apple overnighting a box to you, to send back, already with a pre-paid overnight fed-ex label returning to them, then you get it back overnight. I've seen a laptop return to Apple and come back repaired in 5 business days from the time I called them to the time I got the laptop back. People insult Apple, but that service is top-notch. I've had a number of WD drives fail on me and RMA has always been smooth, however if I had a RE-series WD drive, I would be more likely to expect overnight with an enterprise grade product.

I should also note that my RMAs with Apple have always been through Apple Education since I work for an educational institution and I'm too cheap to buy an Apple product for myself. :p

Last edited:

seasonic rep

Seasonic Rep
You guys make a quality product that's for sure. However, I would be concerned if your subcontractor gets into the habit of dropping the ball and tarnishing the quality of your product(s) with customer service that doesn't meet the same standards.

If this is/was an isolated incident... Awesome, nothing to worry about! :toast: If not, it's a concern for me as a buyer and for Seasonic as a company.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

EDIT- note- I adjusted my previous post... the comparison I made may have been a bit too harsh

Please note, this was not an issue of our 3rd party service centre dropping the ball. This was an issue of unexpected demand which cleaned out our selling inventory which feeds our service centre's stock. This was a miscommunication between sales and service centre.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Final update.

New unit arrived this morning. Long story short - it works perfectly! If it breaks from now, I'll blame Asus.

What is relevant is that when i tried putting the PC to sleep (something it didn't wake from with the fault) I heard a clicking from the PSU*. I now recall it used to make that sound on sleep but since the fault developed I hadn't heard the click noise on sleep. I think it's a charge dissipation type thing going on. That would explain why it was only switching on when i 'crackled' the power lead into the PSU to 'hotwire' it - I would have been earthing it as I plugged it in?

*Edit - it makes it on shut down too. A nice re-assuring click.

Anyway, communication issues regarding the stock problem aside, it has turned out to be a good RMA. They didn't argue and once they had it, the new unit was fast getting here. It left Germany on Wednesday and I have it now (early Friday morning).

So, thanks Seasonic. :toast:

Last edited:

seasonic rep

Seasonic Rep
Final update.

New unit arrived this morning. Long story short - it works perfectly! If it breaks from now, I'll blame Asus.

What is relevant is that when i tried putting the PC to sleep (something it didn't wake from with the fault) I heard a clicking from the PSU*. I now recall it used to make that sound on sleep but since the fault developed I hadn't heard the click noise on sleep. I think it's a charge dissipation type thing going on. That would explain why it was only switching on when i 'crackled' the power lead into the PSU to 'hotwire' it - I would have been earthing it as I plugged it in?

*Edit - it makes it on shut down too. A nice re-assuring click.

Anyway, communication issues regarding the stock problem aside, it has turned out to be a good RMA. They didn't argue and once they had it, the new unit was fast getting here. It left Germany on Wednesday and I have it now (early Friday morning).

So, thanks Seasonic. :toast:

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter and your continued support of our company and products. And once again, our apologies for the delay and the inconveniences caused.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter and your continued support of our company and products. And once again, our apologies for the delay and the inconveniences caused.
This is how you conduct business people. Like a boss.

Not to swing from Seasonic nuts to much but you guys make an awesome product. (Giggles like a school girl and runs off)

asorrell80

So glad I found this forum / thread! I actually have the same "hot wiring" my power supply problem. This is the SECOND time I've had it with the same SS-1050XM. The first time, I took the power supply back to my friend who owns a computer business and he had it repaired. Well that was about 6 months ago and it is back now. Last time it came slowly and I was able to jump start it for a few weeks before it finally quit. This time I was only able to use it for a couple days before it quit. I leave my computer on 24/7 (torrent seeding machine in China). Could that be the problem? I haven't taken it in to get repaired yet.... considering to switch to something else...

seasonic rep

Seasonic Rep
Hi Asorrell80, when you use the PSU for mining, please make sure you do not use the Y cables for the PCIe power and to use only single PCIe cable per single PCIe power port on the PSU to the VGA. Please take the PSU to your local authorized Seasonic dealer and they will take care of the service for you. Thank you.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Heres a solution. Go buy a server class psu if you going to fall for mining (which crashed anyway)

asorrell80

Hi Asorrell80, when you use the PSU for mining, please make sure you do not use the Y cables for the PCIe power and to use only single PCIe cable per single PCIe power port on the PSU to the VGA. Please take the PSU to your local authorized Seasonic dealer and they will take care of the service for you. Thank you.

Thanks for the quick reply! Strangely enough my friend disconnected 1 fan and it seemed to solve the problem... I'm not convinced it is solved but keeping my fingers crossed. 2 days with no problem.