• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Readies 16-core Processors with Full Uncore

Allow me to make the performance arguments, so this thread doesn't become a pissing contest.

1) AMD chips have a higher TDP than Intel, so they must be more efficient.
No. AMD and Intel do measure chips differently. Between chips being measured differently, and completely differing architecture, efficiency cases can be made for both sides. There is no clear winner here.
2) Intel chips don't clock as high as AMD ones, so AMD makes better chips.
This one is generally true. If you're looking for bragging rights about the highest clock, then AMD wins. The reality is that both manufacturers' chips take huge amounts of power to do this. You don't run a CPU at peak frequencies constantly, unless you want a huge bill and rapidly deteriorating chip. For every day use, either manufacturer produces a relatively solidly performing chip.
3) Intel and AMD don't measure cores the same.
Absolutely. Intel has traditional cores, while AMD decided to share a component among the cores. A four core Intel chip doesn't match the 4 core AMD chip, a two core with hyper-threading chip doesn't match a 4 core AMD chip, and none of this matters. This is not a move for the consumer CPU market. In that market only a handful of program use more than a couple of cores. People using more cores are doing server related work, crunching, or running encoding software.

Now that the silly arguments have been made, can we get back on topic? AMD looks to be firing for the server market, without any bashfulness. Assuming this is the case, it seems like they are making a large step back into competing with Intel. This bodes well for more reasonably priced servers, but more importantly could be parlayed into something interesting on the desktop CPU front. Anyone care to comment on that, rather than on how much they think the current parts are either awesome or terrible?

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
AMD single thread is good enough? Yea really? How many games at this point in time for example uses more then 4 threads?....cause don't think to many games will span much past 4 cores on best top side which puts AMD behind a bit, on top of that they use 50% more power then the competitors cpu
as PS4 and Xbox One are based on an 8 core CPUs, there's the possibility that in the near future games will be using more than 4 cores.

Heck even a lot of programs don't really use much more then 2

If I open all the programs I use every day, I get 100% CPU on my FX8320, that includes a lot of excel, encoding audio and video, burning, browsing (like 50 tabs or so) and some calculus programs for other stuff. Sometimes I even do some gaming on this thing while doing all those kind of things on background.

Yea AMD cpu looks good cause initial cheaper cost but over year or 2 that cost even's out when it add's up in an eletric bill.

Disagree. An electric bill is composed by several electrical appliances, an oven alone may meet 3000 watts unless you use propane. An Air Conditioner reaches at peek like 1200watts. Then you have a microwave oven, all the light bulbs, water heater tank, and 90% of the bill will be of appliances. I don't believe the choice of AMD CPU over Intel will really change the game on the bill, to make it a useless choice after just 2 years.... If what you need is to browse internet and visit facebook, get an AMD C60, its just 8 watts, then you'll be choosing correctly. If you want to save the planet, and our wallets, we should stop gaming then, but choosing an intel over an AMD will not "save our wallets" on the long run, the difference in power consumption and efficiency is not the catastrophe you described.

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
as PS4 and Xbox One are based on an 8 core CPUs, there's the possibility that in the near future games will be using more than 4 cores.
I don't remember exactly what they said about Mantle, but it seemed it can scale to beyond 8 cores as well, independently of how the game engine is coded. And it'd be about time, might be tricky but makes a lot more sense to make game engine/API future proof so as to take advantage of the tech of tomorrow as well, doesn't it? Anyway, here's bit of a mind-twister... imagine somewhere down the HSA line, having games and their APIs doing draw calls off of the APU itself, rather than just x86 cores... GPUception... O_O

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
1) AMD chips have a higher TDP than Intel, so they must be more efficient. No. AMD and Intel do measure chips differently. Between chips being measured differently, and completely differing architecture, efficiency cases can be made for both sides. There is no clear winner here.

Actually there is a clear winner here and it's Intel. AMD CPU efficiency comes close to Intel only for those kind of tasks that AMD architecture favors. Meaning, you would need a heavily multi threaded code with no floating point instructions at all (only integer SIMD and SISD instructions), to have somewhat comparable efficiencies.

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
Actually there is a clear winner here and it's Intel. AMD CPU efficiency comes close to Intel only for those kind of tasks that AMD architecture favors. Meaning, you would need a heavily multi threaded code with no floating point instructions at all (only integer SIMD and SISD instructions), to have somewhat comparable efficiencies.
Still not clear enough to care. Everybody is talking like if there was a massacre of a difference, and its not that deep.

System Name BlueKnight
Processor Intel Celeron G1610 @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PH (rev. 1.0)
Memory 1x 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (Kingston KVR13N9S8/4)
Video Card(s) Onboard
Storage 1x 160GB (Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75M0A0)
Display(s) 1x 20" 1600x900 (PHILIPS 200VW9FBJ/78)
Case μATX Case (Generic)
Power Supply 300W (Generic)
Software Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
Everybody is talking like if there was a massacre of a difference, and its not that deep.
For me, 1 watt is crucial for me to choose Intel instead of AMD. Why? Energy costs a lot where I live, a few watts less is better than a few watts more in my energy bill.

The less the better, no matter if 1 or 1/x. Just my stupid opinion.

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
For me, 1 watt is crucial for me to choose Intel instead of AMD. Why? Energy costs a lot where I live, a few watts less is better than a few watts more in my energy bill.

I don't find anything stupid in your opinion, its just your opinion. However take into consideration that if that is your point for choosing one over the other, then I assume you do the same for the rest of your home appliances. LED TV over LCD, as an example to begin with. If you only care about the CPU alone over the rest of your home then your opinion wouldn't be honest enough. But I don't think its stupid.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Bring on the hexadecimal core for desktop

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home

You must live in Australia then?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

I take it you remove all LED's from everything you have. You should get night vision goggles so you don't need lights at all. Imagine how much you would save!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Meanwhile, Intel is busy making things like low power SoCs with 8 cores. When it comes to servers, power efficiency can mean a lot if you're running a cluster, a lot of servers, or if your resources are limited. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that these are changes AMD should have started making a long time ago. What boggles me is why they didn't do it sooner. APUs have been designed this way since Llano.

System Name BlueKnight
Video Card(s) Onboard
Case μATX Case (Generic)
LED TV over LCD, as an example to begin with. If you only care about the CPU alone over the rest of your home then your opinion wouldn't be honest enough.
Ah no. I can watch TV on computer and eliminate TV. But I am still using tube TV.

Why? LED or LCD TV costs a lot here, I can't invest in one at the moment. But I would buy if I could, no doubt. Sometimes, to save watts costs a lot too. It's not the same with computers because I can build a low power mini ITX for much less instead of more. But I prefer micro ATX as mini ITX has some disadvantages...

You must live in Australia then?
No.

You should get night vision goggles so you don't need lights at all. Imagine how much you would save!
I do not live alone. Other people prefer light... What can I do?!

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
Meanwhile, Intel is busy making things like low power SoCs with 8 cores. When it comes to servers, power efficiency can mean a lot if you're running a cluster, a lot of servers, or if your resources are limited. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that these are changes AMD should have started making a long time ago. What boggles me is why they didn't do it sooner. APUs have been designed this way since Llano.

AMD did a great job with its kabini lineup, the A4-5000 is a good contender, 4 cores, Radeon GPU, 15watts
But that atom (8 cores!) looks nice on paper, I would like to try it out, seems a good one, but still at 20watts.

I found on amazon an ECS KBN motherboard with an A6-5200, quad core, Radeon GPU, 25watts.

get an intel...!! :lovetpu:

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
change all Your lightbulbs 'n sh*t, including those "energy saving" ones into LED lights and enjoy your >10x energy consumption for lighting. Plus these even cost less than those "power saving" ones, too. Thus, no excuse not getting those and start enjoying comically low power consumption.

If You don't already do this, I'd say Your "Intel because every single watt counts" is hypocrisy.

Back on topic:
8 core Atom? Please do enlighten me. Because I kinda remember that Atoms were friggin' slow compared to AMD's low power CPUs AKA equivalents.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
change all Your lightbulbs 'n sh*t, including those "energy saving" ones into LED lights and enjoy your >10x energy consumption for lighting. Plus these even cost less than those "power saving" ones, too. Thus, no excuse not getting those and start enjoying comically low power consumption.

If You don't already do this, I'd say Your "Intel because every single watt counts" is hypocrisy.

Back on topic:
8 core Atom? Please do enlighten me. Because I kinda remember that Atoms were friggin' slow compared to AMD's low power CPUs AKA equivalents.
I agree, but Atoms used to also be 32-bit dual cores with only a single memory channel. This thing has two memory channels, runs at DDR3-1600, has 8 cores that run at 2.4Ghz with a 2.6Ghz boost. All wrapped into a 20-watt TDP SoC CPU. It also has 16 PCI-E lanes and support for 6 SATA ports and 4 NICs off the CPU. Clearly it's aimed to be a server product.

Someone has to tell me why this doesn't look awesome as a cheap server.
ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600/1333

System Name BlueKnight
Video Card(s) Onboard
Case μATX Case (Generic)
AMD did a great job with its kabini lineup, the A4-5000 is a good contender, 4 cores, Radeon GPU, 15watts
I do not like processors with integrated graphics, so I will never use their integrated graphics. Only in "emergency" cases.

And I prefer low-end NVIDIA chips as I never had any problems with their drivers and I am sure they will work for my needs, so why to change?!

"Intel because every single watt counts"
Not only every single watt but also every single instruction per second. Single core performance is crucial as I like to disable all the unnecessary cores to use even less power.

And maybe the opposite of overclocking in extreme cases. I did that already! :D

EDIT:
And to mention other DECISIVE factor for me to choose Intel instead of AMD: CPU pins. I let my E2200 to fall onto the ground in December 2013 and I was happy it was not an AMD. Ohterwise, it would bend many pins and give me a lot of headache and a non-working processor.

Last edited:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit

Back on topic:

The newer Atoms are 64bit OoO with HT. I don't know how they stack up to Jaguar but they're not the same Atoms we knew (and loathed).

System Name BlueKnight
Video Card(s) Onboard
Case μATX Case (Generic)
Australia is officially the hottest and the most expensive place to live on the planet at the moment.
Maybe because it is isolated from everything. It makes sense.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
And to mention other DECISIVE factor for me to choose Intel instead of AMD: CPU pins. I let my E2200 to fall onto the ground in December 2013 and I was happy it was not an AMD. Otherwise, it would bend many pins and give me a lot of headache and a non-working processor.

That's nothing. Back when I had a Phenom II 940, the stock cooler was on so bad because the thermal paste got so dry, that I accidentally ripped the CPU out of the socket in the process while bending a good 100-ish pins.I straightened them out, and while getting it into the socket took a little work, it eventually went in just fine and ran without an issue.

Ever bent a pin on a motherboard with LGA? It's a bitch to fix and more often than not, you can't fix it. While I like LGA in general because of how the CPU is secured, I'm less worried about bending a pin on a CPU than on an LGA motherboard though.

Last edited:
System Name BlueKnight
Video Card(s) Onboard
Case μATX Case (Generic)
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
No, that would require no care at all. To bend CPU is infinitely easier.
For what purpose have you even replied in this thread.
Your a big telly owning amd hating fool who should stick to using a pda or pad imho, efficiency wtf and as for this last reply he was removing a heatsink harshly .

You dropped ya soddin chip er your worse.

And what the feck any of this has to do with the Op is beyond me.

System Name BlueKnight
Video Card(s) Onboard
Case μATX Case (Generic)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
No, that would require no care at all. To bend CPU is infinitely easier.

No way. Over-tightening a cooler alone can cause LGA pins to bend. It's part of the reason why you hear people saying to re-seat their CPU when memory or PCI-E is acting funky and to not over tighten it.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I do not like processors with integrated graphics, so I will never use their integrated graphics. Only in "emergency" cases.

And I prefer low-end NVIDIA chips as I never had any problems with their drivers and I am sure they will work for my needs, so why to change?!

Well a high end APU GPU would be quicker than a low end Nvidia card. It would be quicker than a low end Intel chip and a low end Nvidia chip as well, with the added benefit of Hybrid Crossfire if you find a GPU that works with it. I mean if you're happy with your current setup you shouldn't change it just because (penis measuring is a terrible thing), but it is a viable alternative would you ever need to upgrade.

For what purpose have you even replied in this thread.
Your a big telly owning amd hating fool who should stick to using a pda or pad imho, efficiency wtf and as for this last reply he was removing a heatsink harshly .

You dropped ya soddin chip er your worse.

And what the feck any of this has to do with the Op is beyond me.

Drunken englishmen, they all sound so cute. :D