• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reports 2013 Fourth Quarter and Annual Results

AMD today announced revenue for the fourth quarter of 2013 of $1.59 billion, operating income of $135 million and net income of $89 million, or $0.12 per share. The company reported non-GAAP operating income of $91 million and non-GAAP net income of $45 million, or $0.06 per share.

For the year ended December 28, 2013, AMD reported revenue of $5.3 billion, operating income of $103 million and a net loss of $83 million, or $0.11 per share.

"Strong execution of our strategic transformation plan drove significant revenue growth and improved profitability in the fourth quarter," said Rory Read, AMD president and CEO. "The continued ramp of our semi-custom SoCs and leadership graphics products resulted in a 38 percent revenue increase from the year ago quarter. Our focus in 2014 is to deliver revenue growth and profitability for the full year by leveraging our differentiated IP to drive success in our targeted new markets and core businesses."

Quarterly Financial Summary
  • Gross margin was 35 percent in Q4 2013.
    Gross margin decreased 1 percentage point sequentially. Q4 2013 gross margin included a $7 million benefit from the sale of inventory previously reserved in Q3 2012 as compared to a similar benefit of $19 million in Q3 2013.
  • Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities balance, including long-term marketable securities, was $1.2 billion at the end of the quarter, in line with expectations.
  • Computing Solutions segment revenue decreased 9 percent sequentially and 13 percent year-over-year. The sequential and year-over-year declines were primarily due to decreased chipset and notebook unit shipments.
    Operating loss was $7 million, compared with operating income of $22 million in Q3 2013, primarily due to lower revenue and higher bonus expense. Operating loss for Q4 2012 was $323 million.
    Microprocessor Average Selling Price (ASP) increased sequentially and year-over-year.
  • Graphics and Visual Solutions segment revenue increased 29 percent sequentially and 165 percent year-over-year primarily driven by our semi-custom SoCs.
    Operating income was $121 million compared with $79 million in Q3 2013 and $22 million in Q4 2012, primarily due to increased revenue from our semi-custom SoCs.
    GPU ASP increased sequentially and year-over-year.

Recent Highlights
  • Microsoft and Sony launched their next-generation gaming and entertainment consoles powered by semi-custom AMD APUs. Combined, the two consoles sold more than seven million units in less than two months.
  • AMD began shipping the next-generation AMD A-series desktop APU codenamed "Kaveri," ushering in the next level of graphics, compute and efficiency for desktops, notebooks, embedded systems and servers. "Kaveri" is the first APU to include Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) features, AMD TrueAudio technology and support for AMD's Mantle API.
  • AMD announced low-power APU offerings for 2014 with the addition of "Beema" and ultra-low power "Mullins" mobile APUs to its roadmap. Raising the performance bar across fanless tablets, 2-in-1s and ultrathin notebooks, the new APUs deliver more than 2x the performance-per-watt of the previous generation(2)(3). AMD showcased the innovative features and potential of both "Beema" and "Mullins" at CES 2014 with the company's award-winning Discovery Project PC gaming and productivity tablet, as well as the "Nano PC," a full-featured Windows 8 PC reference design the size of a smartphone.
  • AMD launched a new family of mobile discrete GPU products. The AMD Radeon R9, R7, and R5 M200 Series mobile GPUs are powered by the award-winning Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture and bolstered by the Mantle API. Dell, Lenovo, MSI, and Clevo have announced notebooks featuring the new GPUs.
  • AMD FirePro professional graphics continued to gain momentum, with Apple launching its new Mac Pro, featuring dual AMD FirePro professional graphics solutions (GPUs.) AMD also announced the new AMD FirePro S10000 12 GB Edition graphics card, the industry's first "supercomputing" server graphics card with 12 GB memory, specifically designed for big data, high-performance heterogeneous compute workloads for single precision and double precision performance.
  • AMD was awarded a multi-year research project associated with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Extreme-Scale Computing Research and Development Program, known as "DesignForward." The "DesignForward" award supports the research of the interconnect architectures and technologies needed to support the data transfer capabilities in extreme-scale computing environments.

Current Outlook
AMD's outlook statements are based on current expectations. The following statements are forward-looking, and actual results could differ materially depending on market conditions and the factors set forth under "Cautionary Statement" below.

For the first quarter of 2014, AMD expects revenue to decrease 16 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, sequentially.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Kavari will be a good revenue generator but without an AM3+ Steamroller successor, AMD has shot themselves in the foot with no desktop upgrade path for two or more years. They continue to stumble as they move forward but at this rate they are never going to get themselves into a strong market position.

System Name Purity Control
Processor Intel i5 2500
Motherboard ASRock H61 Pro BTC
Cooling Grand Kama Cross 2
Memory 8 GB Corsair XMS 3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 750 Ti Storm X OC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Westen Digital Black 500 GB
Display(s) Asus VX239H-W 24 inch
Case Bitfenix NEOS (All white)
Audio Device(s) Integrated (VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)
Power Supply Corsair CX 430
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Good move to see some profit finally. Now just bring FX to FM2+ to unite the platforms as the AM3+ is now dead in the water. Movement in the right direction at least.

Kaveri is a good chip, but I don't really see it making such an impact as to be a revenue generator. Unless mantle not only provides SIGNIFICANT performance gains, but also gains rapid and widespread developer focus this year. Without that, I don't see a compelling argument for major revenue gains in a shrinking desktop form factor market. I like kaveri, but honestly, for my next build, I'm leaning towards an Intel+AMD system.

Seems like the CPU division is shrinking while the GPU division is gaining ground.

System Name BlackDeath
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE c3 3.5GHz OC
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X ATX
Cooling CM Hyper 212+ Noctua Fan
Memory G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4gb, Kingston HyperX 2x4gb DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770
Storage Seagate 7200.11 3x1.5TB RAID5 + Intel 520 180gb
Display(s) Samsung 2494 - 24"
Case CoolerMaster HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows OS
Benchmark Scores Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse
Down 11% already on the day.. looks like you can meet your own guidance but not the investors (no matter how crazy/illogical) and you'll get hit hard. AMD's lack of a clear coherent mobile strategy is choking it's future even as chip sales shrink and gpu sales fluctuate. The boost from xbox one and ps4 chip sales is good but they need to start putting chips into mobile phones, tablets, and other electronics FAST before the AMD dream is put to bed for good.

[Full disclosure: I own this stock and am a reasonable fan of ATI/AMD products and their spunky company (see my system specs :) ]

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Down 11% already on the day.. looks like you can meet your own guidance but not the investors (no matter how crazy/illogical) and you'll get hit hard. AMD's lack of a clear coherent mobile strategy is choking it's future even as chip sales shrink and gpu sales fluctuate. The boost from xbox one and ps4 chip sales is good but they need to start putting chips into mobile phones, tablets, and other electronics FAST before the AMD dream is put to bed for good.

[Full disclosure: I own this stock and am a reasonable fan of ATI/AMD products and their spunky company (see my system specs :) ]

While they moved a lot of APU's in terms of volume for game consoles, the profit margins on those are razor thin--that's why Nvidia dropped out of supporting game consoles. You can say they moved ~7m APU's in 2 months for those consoles, but when they are making next to nothing on each one (or worse, recouping R&D costs) it really doesn't help them much. I do agree they need something for Tablets\Phones. I think the problem is they just don't have the resources to make a serious stab at it.