• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba Completes Acquisition of OCZ SSD Assets, Launches New Subsidiary

Toshiba Corporation, a global technology leader and manufacturer of NAND flash memory, today announced that the Company has finalized the purchase of substantially all assets of OCZ Technology Group, making it a wholly owned subsidiary and Toshiba Group Company. Effective immediately, the Group company will operate independently as OCZ Storage Solutions, a leading provider of high-performance solid state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems.

The acquisition provides Toshiba with OCZ's enterprise and client SSD businesses and enables the established OCZ brand to continue in full force with a current product portfolio that includes SATA and PCIe consumer drives for high-performance and mainstream applications, and SATA, SAS and PCIe enterprise drives supported by virtualization, cache and acceleration software. OCZ Storage Solutions will leverage Toshiba's cutting-edge NAND and combine it with the Company's proprietary controllers, firmware and software to provide both client and enterprise customers with innovative and cost-effective solid-state storage solutions.

"The acquisition of OCZ further expands our solid-state storage capabilities and represents Toshiba's commitment to this high-growth area," said Mr. Seiichi Mori, Vice President of Toshiba's Semiconductor and Storage Company and Corporate Vice President of Toshiba. "Our goal is to offer a leading edge portfolio of solid state solutions to address the storage challenges faced by both client and enterprise customers, and the acquisition of OCZ is an ideal addition to our team in realizing this strategy."

"We are very excited to be part of the Toshiba family where we will continue to develop new and unique solid-state storage technologies that position the new entity as a market leader," said Ralph Schmitt, CEO for OCZ Storage Solutions. "With Toshiba's financial strength and portfolio of leading-edge NAND flash memory, OCZ is now in a advantageous position as one of the few companies in the SSD industry with advanced controller IP and NAND flash supply under one global organization, which in turn will help enable more robust and competitive solid-state solutions going forward while expanding our market presence in the rapidly growing SSD market."

As a Toshiba Group Company, OCZ Storage Solutions will continue to maintain its established worldwide sales channels. The new Company's headquarters will remain in San Jose, California, with strategic design centers located in Irvine (California), Tel Aviv (Israel), and Abingdon (UK).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name UnMort
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H rev 1.1
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 780 GHZ
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB & Western Digital Black 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case NZXT Phantom 630
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Beautiful!

Now can anyone tell me if they'll honor my warranty if my Vector craps out?

I understand why Toshiba wanted to buy OCZ (the controller IP), but why they thought keeping the OCZ brand name would be a benefit is beyond me.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm actually surprised they decided to keep the OCZ name

System Name Purity Control
Processor Intel i5 2500
Motherboard ASRock H61 Pro BTC
Cooling Grand Kama Cross 2
Memory 8 GB Corsair XMS 3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 750 Ti Storm X OC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Westen Digital Black 500 GB
Display(s) Asus VX239H-W 24 inch
Case Bitfenix NEOS (All white)
Audio Device(s) Integrated (VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)
Power Supply Corsair CX 430
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Beautiful!

Now can anyone tell me if they'll honor my warranty if my Vector craps out?
Yes, Toshiba said they will honor all existing warranties for SSDs.
If you are unlucky enough and have a OCZ power supply, you might not be so lucky as the Toshiba sale was for the SSD division only and there is little interest in the power division.

System Name UnMort
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H rev 1.1
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 780 GHZ
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB & Western Digital Black 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case NZXT Phantom 630
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Yes, Toshiba said they will honor all existing warranties for SSDs.
If you are unlucky enough and have a OCZ power supply, you might not be so lucky as the Toshiba sale was for the SSD division only and there is little interest in the power division.

Much obliged for reassuring news. My Vector is the sum of my OCZ exposure, so I'm right as rain.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I understand why Toshiba wanted to buy OCZ (the controller IP), but why they thought keeping the OCZ brand name would be a benefit is beyond me.

Pretty easy. They did some research and probably found there is a devoted small group of people who post negative comments on every OCZ article they find under many different names. Lots of people I am sure have experienced a problem with an OCZ product, no one debates that. But spending hours of your day posting about a blue screen you got once 3 years ago with an Agility 3? There is something unique in devoting hours of your day to finding every OCZ article or review you can and posting the same negative comments over and over. That has an emotional element.

I keep using OCZ and Samsung SSD products - I have experienced a single failure of each. I can't understand how one of those failures could lead me to hate either company and devote my life to grinding an axe.