• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Unveils the RT-AC52U Wireless Router with the USB-AC50 Wireless Adapter

ASUS today announced RT-AC52U with USB-AC50, an AC750 dual-band router and AC450 wireless adapter package that provides consumers with an extremely affordable instant upgrade to the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology - for super-fast data-transfer speeds of up to 733 Mbit/s.

RT-AC52U provides simultaneous Wi-Fi connections via both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and includes a specially-designed antenna that extends the wireless signal by up to 150% compared to other routers. The new router includes a multipurpose USB port that allows users to connect and share a printer, hard disk drive or 3G/4G (HSPA+) data connection. It can even be used to charge mobile gadgets such as smartphones and tablets - a brilliant little convenience.

RT-AC52U supports ASUS AiCloud for easy file synchronization, sharing and streaming and is bundled with USB-AC50, an 802.11ac wireless adapter that works in the 5GHz band for fast, interference-free connections at speeds of up to 433 Mbit/s (AC450) - and delivers an instant upgrade to the latest 802.11ac Wi-FI technology.

Simultaneous dual-band connectivity, high-power transmission and sleek design
RT-AC52U's three antennas are built in to the router for ultra-sleek looks, and they work simultaneously on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands - doubling the wireless possibilities and more than doubling performance potential.

RT-AC52U is able to transmit and receive data at up to 300 Mbit/s in the 2.4 GHz band and up to 433 Mbit/s in the 5 GHz range - simultaneously. The 733 Mbit/s combined bandwidth is a huge benefit because, with the included USB-AC50 wireless adapter, users can rely on the 2.4 GHz band for daily tasks such as web surfing and email and enjoy fast, smooth and buffer-free online gaming and HD content-streaming on the less-congested 5 GHz frequency - and all without a trace of lag.

ASUS engineers have also fitted RT-AC52U with high-powered amplifiers for extended indoor and outdoor range. Compared to competing 802.11ac routers, RT-AC52U increases the wireless signal by up to 150% - extending the router's range to all corners of the typical home and well into the garden.

Built-in multipurpose USB port for servers, sharing and synchronization
RT-AC52U is much more than just a router, thanks to its built-in USB port. Simply by plugging in a USB hard disk drive, RT-AC52U becomes a file server - and one that extends into the cloud via ASUS AiCloud technology. Alternatively, users can attach a USB printer to RT-AC52U to create a print server - great for sharing one device with several users.

The USB port also accommodates 3G/4G mobile broadband dongles, so users can have two broadband (WAN) connections on one router - helping to balance network traffic and providing an effective backup (failover mode) to ensure uninterrupted internet access. The port can even be used for powering gadgets such as smartphones and tablets, so RT-AC52U doubles up as a handy charging station.

Sync, share and stream on demand with ASUS AiCloud
RT-AC52U includes support for ASUS AiCloud, an exclusive application that turns the router into a powerful personal cloud server. Files stored on the network, on attached USB storage devices or on ASUS WebStorage can be effortlessly synchronized using the ASUS Smart Sync feature. They can also be shared with friends, colleagues and family members simply by sending a link via email, text message or popular social-networking apps. Users can access their data via the AiCloud web interface or the free AiCloud app for Android and iOS devices - so they can sync, share and stream content anywhere.

AiCloud also features a new router-to-router synchronization mode that automatically synchronizes USB-connected storage on other compatible ASUS routers, for easy sharing of large files with family and friends.

Simple setup and great flexibility with ASUSWRT
Setting up RT-AC52U is extremely simple with the easy-to-use ASUSWRT dashboard. This makes it simple to configure the advanced networking features, such as quality-of-service (QoS) prioritization - so users can monitor and control the bandwidth usage on each of the four available Ethernet (LAN) connections. Other great ASUSWRT features include parental controls, dual WAN management, network mapping and printer sharing.

RT-AC52U even includes an easy-to-configure VPN server, configured via ASUSWRT, so users can set up private, secure remote access to their home network.

AVAILABILITY & PRICING
RT-AC52U with USB-AC50 will be available from in the UK mid-February at Amazon, Dabs and eBuyer.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 4690K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-P
Cooling CRYORIG H7
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Fury, DDRS 1600MH2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition
Storage Lots
Display(s) 24" Predator GN246HL, 1080p, 144Hz
Case Phanteks P300
Power Supply Corsair CX650
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 1/0 0.o
Recently bought myself the Asus RT-N56U and the stability of my home WLAN did improve. The usb connection and "NAS capabilities" were a joke .. tried having my 1.5TB Lacie usb 2 plugged in but nooooo can't recognize it :(.

Googled it and it might get fixed if I reformat my drive from NTFS to EXT3 or 4 but don't wanna do that since it is already full with stuff. Many others seem to have some usb issues with these things aswell, but hopefully they got em fixed with this new model.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I don't like most the USB sharing features in routers anyways and I find myself not using them due to the low file transfer speeds. I would only get like 4MBytes/sec compared to a low of 20Mbytes/sec on a USB2.0 USB HDD and 18Mbytes/sec on a USB2.0 stick.

They need to work on the transfer rates, however the weak processor on most these consumer routers is not capable of sustaining high transfer rates. They would need a decent dual core 1Ghz or higher processor on the SoC for them to be able to pull that off in addition to having enough processing power for the routing functions. Really it's hard to pull off for consumer grade routers.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Recently bought myself the Asus RT-N56U and the stability of my home WLAN did improve. The usb connection and "NAS capabilities" were a joke .. tried having my 1.5TB Lacie usb 2 plugged in but nooooo can't recognize it :(.

Googled it and it might get fixed if I reformat my drive from NTFS to EXT3 or 4 but don't wanna do that since it is already full with stuff. Many others seem to have some usb issues with these things aswell, but hopefully they got em fixed with this new model.

It's because Asus doesn't provide NTFS drivers for a lot of their routers, since they have to pay a license fee for the driver to whoever makes the driver.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I don't like most the USB sharing features in routers anyways and I find myself not using them due to the low file transfer speeds. I would only get like 4MBytes/sec compared to a low of 20Mbytes/sec on a USB2.0 USB HDD and 18Mbytes/sec on a USB2.0 stick.

They need to work on the transfer rates, however the weak processor on most these consumer routers is not capable of sustaining high transfer rates. They would need a decent dual core 1Ghz or higher processor on the SoC for them to be able to pull that off in addition to having enough processing power for the routing functions. Really it's hard to pull off for consumer grade routers.

Expect better speeds this year, some of the new USB 3.0 routers can do a lot better than what we've seen so far.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Amped has NTFS support out of the box. I can plug in an NTFS drive and it works.