• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Delivers Peak Performance for Key Features in Latest Photoshop CC Release

AMD today announced that it has delivered significant optimizations in the graphics processing pipeline to increase performance for powerful creative features and workflows in the newest version of Adobe Photoshop CC. Use of both OpenCL and OpenGL standards enables Adobe Photoshop CC to directly tap the compute and graphics processing capabilities of AMD FirePro Professional Graphics, AMD Radeon Graphics, and AMD A-Series APUs to unlock new levels of performance in the Smart Sharpen filter, and provide highly responsive, visually accurate experiences for the new 3D printing workflows, and transformations such as Perspective Warp.

"Compute performance is essential to effective creative workflows," said Steve Belt, corporate vice president, Strategic Alliances & Platform Enablement, AMD. "An efficient, speedy process is often the difference between successfully capturing inspiration and seeing flashes of brilliance ebb away. That is the real essence of what the AMD-Adobe collaboration achieves. Together we continually find ways to successfully tap open standards in order to deliver the highest levels of performance for the most sophisticated new tools like those unveiled today in Photoshop CC."

This new version of Photoshop CC, a key offering of Adobe Creative Cloud, builds on the success of its predecessor, which leveraged OpenCL to power the Blur Gallery. The new updated version of the Smart Sharpen feature leverages the power of OpenCL parallel processing to take direct advantage of AMD GPUs and APUs to accelerate the entire Smart Sharpen pipeline -- including the broad palette of user-controlled options for achieving perfect results such as Amount, Radius, Reduce Noise, and algorithm choice. AMD's latest graphics technology can increase application performance up to 11 times the performance of non-OpenCL implementations and enables a lightning-fast editing experience, even with large images.

The latest version of Photoshop CC also brings new OpenGL pipeline support in AMD APUs and GPUs to enhance the responsiveness and display quality for new, high-value features including:
  • Perspective Warp - OpenGL performance provides virtually instant feedback for this new feature that enables users to selectively adjust the perspective of portions of an image in relation to other elements that remain untouched.
  • 3D Printing - OpenGL performance enhances the experience of working with the powerful new 3D printing capabilities in Photoshop CC by providing rapid visual feedback as 3D models are enhanced as well as accurate, WYSIWYG previews and fast mesh repair and 3D print preparation.

"We rely on OpenCL and OpenGL technologies to provide our customers superior performance and to take full advantage of all the power their hardware provides," said Pam Clark, director of product management at Adobe. "Working with AMD, we can leverage open standards to deliver the fastest and best experience for our Photoshop customers."

These new Photoshop features accelerated by AMD are just the latest developments of a long-standing collaboration that has brought dozens of hardware accelerated features to Photoshop including the Blur Gallery of effects, Puppet Warp, Liquify and many more.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
To bad the entire Adobe suite is now a monthly payment. Ill stay with Adobe CS6 until my OS can't run it anymore. There is NO WAY I am paying monthly for a program.

What's funny is I talk to people all around my industry and they all agree. There is zero willingness to pay monthly. I am curious how long they will continue this business model.

With all that being said these "enhancements" will only benefit a very small percentage of Adobe users. This seems more PR than anything.

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
To bad the entire Adobe suite is now a monthly payment. Ill stay with Adobe CS6 until my OS can't run it anymore. There is NO WAY I am paying monthly for a program.

What's funny is I talk to people all around my industry and they all agree. There is zero willingness to pay monthly. I am curious how long they will continue this business model.

With all that being said these "enhancements" will only benefit a very small percentage of Adobe users. This seems more PR than anything.

i discovered jasc paint shop pro long ago and never looked back at photoshop since.. (it belongs to corel these days).

i click NO everytime a window pops up at the start of system encouraging me to visit their site and update the mighty FLASH plugin, lol.. way to starve adobe skinny ppl out.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.

This pay-to-use rather than buy-a-copy licensing model reflects the company's view of their future: running out of ideas how to innovate the product to sell more in the future. Adobe is so worried that they have reached the end of the development and upgrade path - that in 3 or 4 years time they cannot find a reason for users to buy a new copy or upgrade an existing product - that they have gone down this licensing route. They are foregoing sales revenues this year for the lock-in of income in years 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 ...

I too dislike the CC model. Not just for software, but for data. Serious enthusiasts and serious companies do not use "the cloud". They have their own software, they can work 100% offline, and they manage their own data backup and archiving. "Cloud" is just a way for the consumer and small business user to scale capability without IT departments. Enthusiasts love to be in control. International companies *must* be in total control of their business processes.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
i discovered jasc paint shop pro long ago and never looked back at photoshop since.. (it belongs to corel these days).

i click NO everytime a window pops up at the start of system encouraging me to visit their site and update the mighty FLASH plugin, lol.. way to starve adobe skinny ppl out.

I own jasc paint shop pro 6 and 9 and its amazing, I use it all the time for any non-serious photo editing.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

Nothing by Corel was ever worth my time. Adobe and Micromedia (before they were bought by Adobe) were industry standard.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I used Corel in school, 1996 I think. It was on a mac, and man could I get high ummm, draw awesome shapes and colors for art projects.

You can buy the last year edition of Adobe for cheap, or there is Gimp, or paint.net, or many others that work as well, hell even excel can render art.