• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Needed in Installing Motherboard and Processor

akhil512

Hello Everyone,i ordered AMD A10 7850k Processor and i will order Asus A88XM-A Motherboard(because it's the only available FM2+MOBO in india) this week

i dont know anything about installing Motherboard or processor(i didnt even removed my Mobo/processor)

But i changed my 180w PSU To corsair vs450 and 1Gb 1333mhz ram to 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 Ram(by seeing some youtube videos:cool:),really worried about installing processor in motherboard(because of those pins),applying thermal paste etc:mad:

Updating Bios(To support Kaveri)is another big problem i guess
:(
How to install Motherboard Drivers

i thought of getting a good GPU,but due to my awesome processor:p,i just had to buy a APU(with Free Battlefield 4 :D)

my current specs

intel E5700 3GHz processor
Corsair Vengence 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM
Corsair Vs450
windows 7 x64 bit
No GPU
1366*768 Resolution
i dont know the names of Mobo and Case and HDD(because i got them with Lenovo H220 Desktop PC)

Hope i get solutions to my problems
:lovetpu:

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
The case is Micro ATX, so luckily you bought a mATX motherboard, so it should fit. Inside the case the motherboard will be screwed in with approx 7-8 screws, 6 on each corner and the left and right edges, and maybe 1 or two in the middle, similar to this but not identical:

unscrew all of those and the motherboard will come out. Put your new motherboard in and put the screws back in. Connect the 24pin PSU cable, and the 4pin CPU cable.

Your CPU will have small empty sections, that correspond with the motherboard socket, unclip the bar on the socket and pull it up, put the processor in the right way round, then slide the bar back down and clip it back in place. The processor will not go in the socket unless you unclip the bar first.

AS for thermal paste, the 7850K stock cooler should come with paste already on it, so you don't need to worry about that until you get a custom CPU cooler.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
You are going to be in trouble if the BIOS on the motherboard that you purchased does not already support the APU that you purchased. The motherboard will need to have an APU in it that it recognizes to update the BIOS. You will need to buy or borrow an older APU to update the BIOS to support your new APU. This is a very common problem.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Regarding CPU/socket orientation, all CPUs have a golden arrow head in one of their corners and the socket does too:

(pictured: FM2 socket, AM3 CPU)

you should match them.

If the CPU doesn't just fall in, you might have got a bent pin (uncommon but not impossible). DON'T PUSH THE CPU DOWN. You can straighten it with a razor blade.

akhil512

You are going to be in trouble if the BIOS on the motherboard that you purchased does not already support the APU that you purchased. The motherboard will need to have an APU in it that it recognizes to update the BIOS. You will need to buy or borrow an older APU to update the BIOS to support your new APU. This is a very common problem.

A guy Told Me That you can just update the BIOS by using flash drive,he said it's easy with Asus EZ Flash,he did the same thing,he posted some gameplay videos in youtube . iam really not sure,so i didnt order motherboard,ordered only Processor

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Some AMD motherboards will boot with unsupported CPUs in "safe mode" (800Mhz, with higher CPU instructions disabled). If your board does this you shouldn't have any problem updating the bios

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
This should help:

akhil512

@devon,it's a old video.do you think it will be similar to that

just now removed processor,it' easier than i thought,but couldnt remove Mobo,i removed all six screws, couldnt remove the back panel,how do i remove that

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

just now removed processor,it' easier than i thought,but couldnt remove Mobo,i removed all six screws, couldnt remove the back panel,how do i remove that
back panel? i/o panel
just push it, it will secure since it has same width

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

You mean this?

That comes out seperately to the motherboard. You removed the motherboard first, then give this a forceful push to the inside of the case. If the motherboard doesn't come out by simply lifting, it means there's still screws attached, probably in the middle area of the board.

akhil512

You mean this?

That comes out seperately to the motherboard. You removed the motherboard first, then give this a forceful push to the inside of the case. If the motherboard doesn't come out by simply lifting, it means there's still screws attached, probably in the middle area of the board.

yeah,sorry i dont know what's it's called,will try it now ,Bios, does any one know,whether we can update bios with a kaveri on that mobo,should i get windows 8.1(students get offer so it's not costly)or reinstall windows 7.How to install AMD Display Drivers(14.2 or 13.12)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
yeah,sorry i dont know what's it's called,will try it now ,Bios, does any one know,whether we can update bios with a kaveri on that mobo,should i get windows 8.1(students get offer so it's not costly)or reinstall windows 7.How to install AMD Display Drivers(14.2 or 13.12)

I'd like the think that you won't need to update the BIOS. The motherboard should support the Kaveri APU straight away without having to update. Ask wherever you bought it from if it will support the APU, if not, you can ask them to do it before shipping. As for windows 8 or 7, that's entirely your choice, whichever you prefer, both are good :)
Once you've installed windows, you can then download the AMD Drivers from the AMD website from > here < and then install them. That's the driver for the APU. After that, install your other drivers for motherboard (Audio, etc). The rest is up to you.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
I think It should be the same but maybe someone with more experience or someone who tried it knows better.
After installing windows you might find this site helpful:
http://ninite.com/
Since I use many of the software found on this page i just check the ones i need and click download installer. Once downloaded just start the installer and it will download the selected software and install it automatically.

akhil512

@Rcoon,Thank you very much for helping me,one last question,after i install mobo and processor,when i start the system,what to do(does the system just boot like usual or should i do some thing in the bios settings),how do i know whether processor is compatible,what happens when if it's incompatible,sorry for noobish questions

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
@Rcoon,Thank you very much for helping me,one last question,after i install mobo and processor,when i start the system,what to do(does the system just boot like usual or should i do some thing in the bios settings),how do i know whether processor is compatible,what happens when if it's incompatible,sorry for noobish questions

When you start the system, you will need to have your windows disk in the DVD drive. If the processor is incompatible, it will either not POST anything at all, or it will say "NO CPU ERROR". That shouldn't be a problem. Provided there is no problem, you'll want to install Windows, if it boots from the Windows DVD, it should say "Press any key to boot from disk . . . "
If not, spam the DEL key to get into BIOS, and set the 1st boot device to your DVD drive, and HDD as second drive.
If everything operates normally (AKA windows installs as normal), then the CPU is fine.

akhil512

@Devon68 ,that's a very good software,it has all the things i need,bookmarked the site :)
@RCoon ,Thanks you very much,you have explained me everything clearly and patiently :oops:

Thanks To all other guys for helping me :peace:
:lovetpu:

System Name Rhino
Processor FX6300
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO R2
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory HyperX Beast 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX560ti
Storage OCZ Agility 3
Case Lian-li
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Sound Studio
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Keyboard Tt eSPORTS Challenger Pro
Software W10 64bit
C'mon guys, give this guy a break.
Of course the you A10 is compatible with an Asus A88XM-A.
If you want to update the bios, which you probably won't need to as this gear is cutting edge (as has been mentioned), install the ASUS desktop UI which comes with it on the driver CD, which you will need to run at some stage anyway. In this software UI you will see a button for update with three to four options for source of update file.
Choose the ASUS update bios from the internet.
If you don't get any sense out of it go to the ASUS website, (Link has been given above) enter your Mobo in the search box and look up the latest bios version. You can see on the Mobo packaging when your Mobo was made and compare it to the Bios dates on the website.
Download it and repeat the process with ASUS update UI but update from file instead.

Last edited:

akhil512

C'mon guys, give this guy a break.
Of course the you A10 is compatible with an Asus A88XM-A.
If you want to update the bios, which you probably won't need to as this gear is cutting edge (as has been mentioned), install the ASUS desktop UI which comes with it on the driver CD, which you will need to run at some stage anyway. In this software UI you will see a button for update with three to four options for source of update file.
Choose the ASUS update bios from the internet.
If you don't get any sense out of it go to the ASUS website, (Link has been given above) enter your Mobo in the search box and look up the latest bios version. You can see on the Mobo packaging when your Mobo was made and compare it to the Bios dates on the website.
Download it and repeat the process with ASUS update UI but update from file instead.

No, after you install Mobo and processor and Turn on the System all you can see is blackscreen,you cannot get into bios,you can do nothing,so you should update your bios before installing processor,kaveri is supported from 1003 Bios Version(old Mobo's have version 0311).the bios update 1003 was released in january 2014

System Name Rhino
Processor FX6300
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO R2
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory HyperX Beast 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX560ti
Storage OCZ Agility 3
Case Lian-li
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Sound Studio
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Keyboard Tt eSPORTS Challenger Pro
Software W10 64bit
No, after you install Mobo and processor and Turn on the System all you can see is blackscreen,you cannot get into bios,you can do nothing,so you should update your bios before installing processor,kaveri is supported from 1003 Bios Version(old Mobo's have version 0311).the bios update 1003 was released in january 2014
You sure your screen plugged in to the mobo and you got your RAM in and the heatsink on the CPU?