• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shuttle Delivers 43 mm Thin Robust Slim PC for LGA1150 Processors

Shuttle Computer Handels GmbH, the European subsidiary of Shuttle Inc., one of the leading developers and manufacturers of compact PC solutions such as the world-renowned XPC Mini PC Barebones, starts delivery today of its new Slim PC for the latest Intel processors. With the Shuttle Barebone DS81, the company is launching a robust and powerful platform that measures just 43 mm in height.

The special feature of this machine is its compatibility with fourth-generation Intel Core processors (former codename: Haswell) with LGA1150. Nearly all models, from the low-cost Celeron to the large Core i7, are supported (TDP max. 65 W). The Intel H81 chipset is used on the motherboard. For the first time, two DisplayPort connectors and a HDMI connector are available. The increased performance of the integrated graphics built right in to the new processors even enables playback of 4K content.

"The robust DS81 attracted a great deal of attention at CeBIT," reports Tom Seiffert, Head of Marketing & PR at Shuttle Computer Handels GmbH. "The reliability of the model even at ambient temperatures up to 50 °C and under full load was clearly demonstrated live in Hannover."

To deal with special networking applications, the DS81 has 2x Gigabit Ethernet and also offers two serial RS-232 interfaces for device control (1x switchable to RS-422/RS-485). Also on the rear panel is a "remote Power-On" connector to which a separate button can be connected to turn on the machine. If the user wants the DS81 to switch on automatically as soon as it is connected to a power source, an "Always-On" jumper can be found on the mainboard.

In addition to powerful processors, up to 16 GB DDR3 memory and an internal 2.5" drive (SSD/HDD) with SATA 6 Gbit/s can be fitted in the DS81. Two Mini-PCI Express expansion slots are available for additional cards, e.g. Wireless LAN or mSATA-SSD. On the front panel of the machine is a card reader for SD memory cards. A total of eight USB ports (both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0) are available at the front and rear of the machine.

The DS81 can be operated horizontally or vertically. The machine comes supplied with a VESA mount for installation to monitors or walls. In addition, it also has numerous M3 threaded holes for custom fixing concepts.

The recommended price for the Shuttle DS81 is EUR 179.00 (ex VAT). The machine shown here is available on the market now.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
In 2014, companies like Shuttle should know that when they advertise Display Port, they should either state the revision, ie DP 1.2, or the max resolution capability. We are heading into the hi-res/hi-dpi desktop world. By omission, it makes the savvy reader think the PC is not capable of UHD

System Name VALKYRIE
Processor Intel Core i7-4770K (4.7GHz, 1.300V)
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling Corsair H100i w/SP120 PWM HP Edition Push-Pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II (Boost 1175MHz, Mem 6808MHz)
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm 64MB Cache HDD
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 2560x1440 IPS 27"
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (OEM)
In 2014, companies like Shuttle should know that when they advertise Display Port, they should either state the revision, ie DP 1.2, or the max resolution capability. We are heading into the hi-res/hi-dpi desktop world. By omission, it makes the savvy reader think the PC is not capable of UHD

I definitely agree with you that Shuttle should explicitly state the specs. Especially for such a specialized product like this. But I'd argue that omission would make a truly savvy reader look up the DP revision.

Processor i7 920 @ 3.66
Motherboard Gigabyte UD7
Cooling Intel BXRTS2011LC
Memory 6gb Corsair 1066mhz
Video Card(s) HIS HD7870
Storage WD Caviar Blue 320
Display(s) Asus VG248QE
Case 400 R
Power Supply Ultra X4 600w
Software Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores It just laughed at me....
Looks good, no doubt overpriced though. Too bad the case isn't being sold standalone.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I'd like to quote
LeMonarque
above but the new quote system is all farked up
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/members/lemonarque.135727/

I disagree. It shows the "Press Release" team, incl. Tom Siefert, are clueless. If you go to the product page, the 4K ability is the NUMBER ONE feature of this model. http://global.shuttle.com/news/productsDetail?productId=1767

There is a monstrous competence gap between the product development team (who understand the target market) and the PR team (who do not understand diddly squat and should be fired)