• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

keyboard and mouse not responding after bootup

System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
Hi,

Its been a while since I last posted here, I generally know how to fix my pc problems when they arise and if I dont google has been my friend, but I have ran into something that has me banging my head on the desk.

My pc that I built just over a year ago or so has been running smoothly until today. I woke up from a nap and booted up my pc and neither my mouse or my keyboard would respond.

My microphone is also plugged in via USB, the light on that is on, as with my caps lock key on my keyboard, but my mouse light will not turn on after I tried unplugging and replugging it.

Please note: I am unable to enter bios since I cannot get my keyboard working, I also am not able to run in safe mode because that also requires keystrokes. Keyboard and mouse are in good working order as I am using them now on my secondary PC (one that got replaced) to type out this thread.

I took these steps:

1) unplugging the USB connections and re-plugging them back in - no results - restarted pc - no results
2) unplugging the USB connections and re-plugging them back in in different locations - no results - restarted pc - no results
3) unplugging USB mouse and used the USB to PS2 adapter to plug it back in via PS2 - no results - restarted pc - no results

So now that I am unable to get into bios or safe mode, what are my options? I was thinking of just trying to re-install windows, but only as a last resort.

Thanks in advance.

<----Specs should be found if you look to the left (in case you need them)

System Name Harley
Processor Intel core i7 3820
Motherboard ASRock Extreme6 X79
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600+ 16GB
Video Card(s) EVGA SuperClocked GTX Titan
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD / Toshiba 7200 2TB HDD
Display(s) Crossover 30" 2560x1600
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB - Custom Modded
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
Software Win7 64
nvm, problem seems to be gone for now,

I hooked up one of my old USB 2.0 keyboards and all of a sudden it and the mouse both work, im still dumbfounded as to why i cant get my good keyboard to work on this machine, it works on my old pc just fine.

I did run both CC cleaner and malwarebytes + the free version of avg to scan/clean out anything that may be causing this if it is indeed software related, but nothing turned up in either of the 3 programs.

oh well, its a bummer, but the good news is, i finally had a reason to get that old pc a fresh windows install and is ready to be sold to my sister for her kids.

edit: along with swapping out the keyboards, i also removed the cmos battery for 30 seconds and slapped it back in. now that my stuff works, i updated my malwarebytes and re-ran it, it found 3 things to remove (conduit or something like that) is now gone. I read somewhere that outdated adobe add-ons/plugins for FireFox can allow such crap to get into your stuff, so im guessing that was what happened, i have also updated all of that stuff as well and everything should be up to date and ready to roll.

Last edited: