• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two Internet Connections - 1 Modem - 1 Router

System Name MSI GT77HX
Processor Intel i9-13980HX
Memory 64 GB DDR5 @ 4800 mhz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 4090 Mobile
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
Display(s) 4K/144 Hz Mini-LED
Benchmark Scores 23,616 Timespy Graphics
I recently switched from Wide Open West to Comcast for Internet, but have not canceled service with WOW yet.

I am not trying to combine the two internet connections, I understand that that'd have very little if any real-world benefit (as I understand I could configure the network to choose between the two connections based on which would be faster at any given time, but couldn't ever have my bandwidth exceed the bandwidth of either single connection), I just want to use the Comcast Internet instead of the WOW internet that the router is currently broadcasting.

EDIT:

The router shows:

Firmware Version:v1.52.5 build 002, Jan. 9, 2008
Current Time:Sat, Apr 05 2014 08:26:00
MAC Address:00:18:39:76:05:55
Router Name:WRT54GS
Host Name:
Domain Name:wowway.com
Internet

Configuration Type

Login Type:Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address:69.14.138.116
Subnet Mask:255.255.248.0
Default Gateway:69.14.136.1
DNS 1:64.233.217.2
DNS 2:64.233.217.3
DNS 3:
MTU:1500

Does the fact that it shows DNS 1 and DNS 2 imply it is receiving both internet connections but only broadcasting one?

Last edited:
System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
You need to remove the images that point to 192.168.1.1 so people stop getting prompts to enter their usernames and passwords for their own router.

Take screenshots and host them elsewhere.

System Name MSI GT77HX
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
You need to remove the images that point to 192.168.1.1 so people stop getting prompts to enter their usernames and passwords for their own router.

Take screenshots and host them elsewhere.
Whoops, didn't realize the copy&pasta had that affect.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
You could always reset the router. Your router should find a connection with DHCP from comcast

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
It doesn't quite work that way. I would just switch to the new service and cancel the old. There is no need to try to make your internet highly available.

System Name MSI GT77HX
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
It doesn't quite work that way. I would just switch to the new service and cancel the old. There is no need to try to make your internet highly available.

I mainly just waited to cancel the old service till the new was active to ensure there was no downtime, the new service claims it is active, but I don't seem to be able to use it at the moment, and am unsure if I will be able to after canceling the internet I am currently able to access.

You could always reset the router. Your router should find a connection with DHCP from comcast

I've unplugged the modem and router, when plugging them back in they only pick up the WOW connection as far as I can tell.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the fact that it shows DNS 1 and DNS 2 imply it is receiving both internet connections but only broadcasting one?

No those are the DNS servers, that belong to WOW that you set, or defaulted, to use for Dynamic Nameservers.

Your ip address 69.14.138.116 is in a range of addresses that are assigned to Wide Open West.

Question... Has Comcast run a separate line to your router to use as a second line?
If not, then they will probably use the same cable coming in to your house that the WOW service is on.
They have to run their service to your box, before you get it, unless Comcast and WOW are in the same center and can just flip a switch.

I just want to use the Comcast Internet instead of the WOW internet that the router is currently broadcasting.

Then you will have to have a connection that Comcast installed... either replacing the WOW connections or a whole new separate run to the cable box.

EDIT:
I've unplugged the modem and router, when plugging them back in they only pick up the WOW connection as far as I can tell.

Comcast probably has not done the work at your premise then.

Last edited:
System Name MSI GT77HX
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
No those are the DNS servers, that belong to WOW that you set, or defaulted, to use for Dynamic Nameservers.
Question... Has Comcast run a separate line to your router to use as a second line?
If not, then they will probably use the same cable coming in to your house that the WOW service is on.
They have to run their service to your box, before you get it, unless Comcast and WOW are in the same center and can just flip a switch.

Then you will have to have a connection that Comcast installed... either replacing the WOW connections or a whole new seperaste run.

EDIT:

Comcast didn't schedule coming to the house, there was an option to rent a modem from them or use your own, I had them provision the same modem I had already been using for WOW, they asked me for the EMAC Address, MTA MAC Mac Address, Serial # and Make/Model of the modem, which was as far as I was aware all that had to be done to let their service work with my existing modem and router setup once activated.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Your ip address 69.14.138.116 is in a range of addresses that are assigned to Wide Open West.

Then you will have to have a connection that Comcast installed... either replacing the WOW connections or a whole new seperaste run.

Title made me think of this lol

EDIT:

pressed a button. They might try get him to ay for all new wiring too.. So only let them change the wiring outside the house unless you can get proof that they are not going charge for it lol

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I would try resetting the modem
Comcast didn't schedule coming to the house, there was an option to rent a modem from them or use your own, I had them provision the same modem I had already been using for WOW, they asked me for the EMAC Address, MTA MAC Mac Address, Serial # and Make/Model of the modem, which was as far as I was aware all that had to be done to let their service work with my existing modem and router setup once activated.

If you've given Comcast your modem's HFC MAC address already, you should just need to reset the modem to defaults and it should pick it up.

If your modem is ready for Comcast's network, you should see it listed on your account at comcast.net

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member

So, in your area Comcast and WOW share facilities?

System Name MSI GT77HX
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
So, in your area Comcast and WOW share facilities?

No, though I had assumed the wires coming into the house weren't company-specific. much like I wouldn't need new phone lines if changing service providers for my home phone.

Is that not the case?

EDIT:

If your modem is ready for Comcast's network, you should see it listed on your account at comcast.net

It does indeed show up show up on comcast's site.

A few recent google searches have led me to stumble upon the term MAC for the first time (not MAC Address, I know what a MAC Address is, this is Migration Authorization Code), I haven't requested such a thing from my current provider as I hadn't been aware of its existence, I assume this is likely the missing step and why the modem isn't connecting to the Comcast connection?

EDIT 2: Actually further research makes it seem that MAC is only a thing when switching DSL providers, not between cable providers.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
No, I meant your modem's HFC MAC address. Here in NH, you'll *never* see different companies servicing the same cable lines. It doesn't happen. If you're on the boarder of a town where you're between Metrocast, Time Warner, or Comcast, you actually need a run coming from either network. I really doubt that they're on the same cabling. In fact I don't think DOCSIS even supports doing that. You may need to call both WOW and Comcast, WOW to disconnect the old drop and Comcast to install the new one.

In other words, you're going to have downtime because you can't have both installed at the same time.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
EDIT 2: Actually further research makes it seem that MAC is only a thing when switching DSL providers, not between cable providers.

That is correct.

No, though I had assumed the wires coming into the house weren't company-specific. much like I wouldn't need new phone lines if changing service providers for my home phone. Is that not the case?

I have not heard of Comcast sharing their facilities with other cable providers.

Aquinus beat me to the rest.

EDIT:

You need to call Comcast and WOW to coordinate your disconnect from WOW and your connect to Comcast.
Comcast may have to lay a temp drop on the ground(if you have buried service) or place an aerial drop to the point where your service enters the premise.
They may need to do some inside work depending on the type of inside wire or cable you now have.
And, you may wish to go with their modem and equipment, as, it sometimes has particular (Comcast specific) functions for voice and features for video.

Last edited: