• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's FreeSync ?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I'm guessing there is a reason they used a laptop, answers on a postcard.

I'm guessing there is a reason they used a laptop, answers on a postcard.

Yes, the standard for vblank manipulation has been there since eDP 1.0 and the eDP 1.3 tcon can do more then what the G-Sync module is doing. The standards just need to be adapted to the standalone monitors which is taking time. When they do you'll be able to go green or red and not worry about it and it can be TN to IPS screens.

The next HDMI and DP standards will have vBlank manipulation as a standard. Makers of Tcon can battle it out to have low end gaming, to high end image ones and the price will be fixed into the purchase while not being locked into a gpu camp.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Yes, the standard for vblank manipulation has been there since eDP 1.0 and the eDP 1.3 tcon can do more then what the G-Sync module is doing. The standards just need to be adapted to the standalone monitors which is taking time. When they do you'll be able to go green or red and not worry about it and it can be TN to IPS screens.

The next HDMI and DP standards will have vBlank manipulation as a standard. Makers of Tcon can battle it out to have low end gaming, to high end image ones and the price will be fixed into the purchase while not being locked into a gpu camp.

I love it, sure things just need to adapted which takes time (presumably money?). I'm guessing every company that sells technology just doesn't want to give it away, maybe the onus should be on companies that actually sell monitors?

And you're damn right we have hate being locked into a gpu camp. When it comes to API's one company was always going to see sense.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
exactly, thats what you've got from amd "freesync" :laugh:
Ding Ding Ding +10!!!

Yah If that day every happens, Manufacturers are not going to spend extra to build a monitor with VR since Nvidia did all the foot work already.

BTW "tcon can do more then what the G-Sync module is doing." where and from did you pull that from?

"To his knowledge, no scaler ASIC with variable refresh capability exists—and if it did, he said, "we would know." Nvidia's intent in building the G-Sync module was to enable this capability and thus to nudge the industry in the right direction."

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
you are wrong again!!!!! Are you not able to grasp the understanding that display architecture other than desktops, with a more direct interface between the GPU and the LCD panel, generally based on standards like LVDS or eDP (embedded DisplayPort). Desktop monitors use other interfaces, like HDMI and DisplayPort, and typically have a scaler chip situated in the path between the GPU and the panel. As a result, a feature like variable refresh is nearly impossible to implement on a desktop monitor as things now stand.
It wouldn't make sense for AMD to pursue this and call it free unless there were plenty monitors to use it on. Prove that is wrong please vs being so insulting and childish. So far you've only uttered unsubstantiated claims.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
It wouldn't make sense for AMD to pursue this and call it free unless there were plenty monitors to use it on. Prove that is wrong please vs being so insulting and childish. So far you've only uttered unsubstantiated claims.

It's called making sense. Pure and simple. I've not claimed a thing over then facts.

Done with this thread.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
It's called making sense. Pure and simple. I've not claimed a thing over then facts.

Done with this thread.

Seems you were done with it before you got started. And no, it's not called making sense, it's called a lack of respect for others. Lack of respect for AMD, lack of respect for a reputable site like AnandTech trusting it to be no special hardware required when they say so, and a lack of respect for anyone else interested in a more open source approach.

Much of what's done on PCs now a days is software and/or firmware driven, and DP IS quite a step above HDMI in what it can do. So unless you can prove AMD's method will take more than DP 1.3, then go ahead and DO SO. Otherwise quit tooting your horn and insulting people.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)

"To his knowledge, no scaler ASIC with variable refresh capability exists—and if it did, he said, "we would know." Nvidia's intent in building the G-Sync module was to enable this capability and thus to nudge the industry in the right direction."

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Hmmm, a lot of butthurt I see, anger over much nothing.

bad_dudes.jpg

I am.

Hitman, you aren't contributing anything worthwhile to the thread, we all accept that AMD did this mostly as a PR stunt and to show that many monitors already have the standard in place, my TV does, and it uses it, we have had 3/5 scaling for years where frames were interpolated, but at the end of the day if G-sync or this really mattered we wouldn't need any faster graphics cards, I see you have two titans in SLI and a gsync monitor, that is super....... but you came into a thread to flame and thread crap.

For the rest of you, there is this ignore feature, where if comments or users bother you, you can use it, people have the right to have different ideas and opinions, its what makes this whole forum great, and the world go around. Either get used to it or go live in a monastery with a vow of silence.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
...many monitors already have the standard in place, my TV does...
3/5 scaling, but does it have DP? I've yet to see any current TVs in the states that have DP at all, let alone DP 1.3.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Hmmm, a lot of butthurt I see, anger over much nothing.

View attachment 56220

I am.

Hitman, you aren't contributing anything worthwhile to the thread, we all accept that AMD did this mostly as a PR stunt and to show that many monitors already have the standard in place, my TV does, and it uses it, we have had 3/5 scaling for years where frames were interpolated, but at the end of the day if G-sync or this really mattered we wouldn't need any faster graphics cards, I see you have two titans in SLI and a gsync monitor, that is super....... but you came into a thread to flame and thread crap.

For the rest of you, there is this ignore feature, where if comments or users bother you, you can use it, people have the right to have different ideas and opinions, its what makes this whole forum great, and the world go around. Either get used to it or go live in a monastery with a vow of silence.

real mature dude.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
LOL, pot, kettle.

I digress, back on topic.

Guru3D is stating only DP1.2a is required. I was wondering if it was a typo, but then it probably wouldn't have the a.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd_freesync_will_be_adopted_by_vesa.html

Here's some forum chat talking about some protocol details, and the ability to upgrade firmware as I hinted at before.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1479232/hardware-fr-amd-freesync-proposal-adopted-by-vesa/210

It's not so much that FreeSync will be difficult to implement, it's just a matter of cooperation from display manufacturers, whom are largely already adopting DP on monitors anyway, hence VESA agreeing to adopt FreeSync.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
It does motion adaptive interpolation and changes the display to match source content and avoid flickering with 120Hz backlight. So unless I manage to hit some ungodly unplayable frame rate like 12FPS it doesn't tear and there is no noticeable input lag, all because it has this nifty 14 bit display chip built by samsung of course.

My old gaming LCD would tear, and its why I use my TV now, 60FPS looks great but so does 45 unless you are moving really fast where you only geat a few tears along the blended edges.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I happened to luck out with my TV. It's a Panasonic TC-L32U3 (Alpha IPS) and with most games I can leave VSync off with no screen tear problems. Usually the worst I see is a bit of slight tear on some cutscenes.