• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Take Unreal Engine 4 Elemental Tech Demo for a Spin

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Wish you could run one of those awesome Unreal Engine 4 tech demos on your own hardware instead of watching its lossy, pixellated video-grabs on YouTube? Well, now you can. Epic's "Elemental" tech demo for Unreal Engine 4 cropped up on the web, and we wasted no time in re-hosting it for you. The demo doesn't appear to be a public release, but something developers put together for demos to be run by Epic and its partners, only. To begin with, it doesn't come with an installer. You have to extract its files into a folder, and manually edit its settings INI file to specify resolution, window behaviour, and other settings. You then have to install VC++ 2013 runtime if you don't already have it (the redistributables are included in the archive), and then run the demo from the relevant batch file. Unreal included both 32-bit and 64-bit executables. When you're done drooling rainbows at the demo, only an Alt+F4 closes the thing down (there's no in-demo UI). There's no internal benchmark, and you're left to use third-party frame-rate loggers. These little issues aside, the demo sure makes Unreal Engine 4 look promising. We also added a collection of five other tech-demos for your viewing pleasure.

DOWNLOAD: Unreal Engine 4 Elemental Demo (RAR archive) | Unreal Engine 4 Five Tech Demos

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

People say this demo was more impressive before release?
Yeah so I just ran it, does not look that great for a tech demo.

Last edited:
+1

It looks ok, it runs good, of course.
But dear lord, texture quality is horrible.

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
People say this demo was more impressive before release?
Yeah so I just ran it, does not look that great for a tech demo.
Yep, its a PS4 version with extra PC details, smoke, debri, particles..

Lighting, dynamic shadows and textures took a small dump..

I really really wish if there will be a Samaritan Demo available soon ^^

Not impressed! They're using too much blur and the texture quality is sub par. After all these years, no real improvements have been made to both the geometry and clarity of modern graphics in video games.

System Name RYZEN RECKER
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Prime B350-plus
Cooling Arctic Cooler 120mm CPU, Cougar case fans.
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair LPX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6700XT Swift 309
Storage 6.5TB total across 4 different drives
Display(s) Acer 32" 170hz VA
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 headset
Power Supply Corsair CX850m
Mouse Steel Series Sensei Ten
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Not impressed! They're using too much blur and the texture quality is sub par. After all these years, no real improvements have been made to both the geometry and clarity of modern graphics in video games.

Yeah, blur and other post-process effects annoy the hell out of me. As for the geometry, the consoles have and will be behind for some time. A lot of dx11 games on PC use tessellation that significantly improves the geometry of character models and environment textures. It requires a lot of processing power though. More than the "next-gen" consoles can properly dish out. That combined with proper anti-aliasing is near impossible on consoles.

Yeah, blur and other post-process effects annoy the hell out of me. As for the geometry, the consoles have and will be behind for some time. A lot of dx11 games on PC use tessellation that significantly improves the geometry of character models and environment textures. It requires a lot of processing power though. More than the "next-gen" consoles can properly dish out. That combined with proper anti-aliasing is near impossible on consoles.

I think the problem is inherently in the Direct3D API. It's the API that translates all the draw calls produced by the game engine to low-level threads and loads them onto GPU RAM. So it's the API that does the actual drawing (and memory/thread management). The images are too cartoonish too bland and unrealistic, heck, they look like dough in Battlefield 4 and Metro.

The PS4 has decent hardware. They could've done a lot better had they gone with a discreet 7970 GPU for graphics processing and a Kaveri class APU for both AI and simulation/physics processing, which would've made things a lot better. Still, the PS4 can output some decent graphics and so alright simulation. Deep Down look nice and has much better physics and destruction than Metro, a PC exclusive.

the smoke and the embers are the only impressive part, everything else is painfully average, especially the solid physics (or should i say physx)
Deep Down look nice and has much better physics and destruction than Metro, a PC exclusive.
don't judge the game until it's out, they often show a better version in the trailers, then downgrade lighting and other details to make it playable

Last edited:
Unfortunately this demo doesn't look anywhere near what the original demo looked like.

Effects are different (worse), there are fewer particles, there's no SVOGI.

And there's a mistake in the news: "Unreal included both 32-bit and 64-bit executables." Obviously you're talking about Epic.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
Epic should work on a new Unreal Tournament with this tech.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Meh. Looks just like a heavily modded Unreal Engine 3.0.. We will be stuck with this kind of graphics for the next decade I guess.