• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROG SWIFT PG278Q Official release tracking thread.

Yes, I'm not a 4K believer either, would rather have three of these monitors in surround, the problem with free sync is that we won't see 1.2a DP enabled monitors until Q3 or more, although at this rate those monitors will probably be released at the same time than the Swift...

C'mon Asus, hurry up and take my money already!

Need to wait some more. JJ just said this a few hours ago

lim 4 hours ago
Still no release date?

JJ 4 hours ago
Not at this time we are still communicating mid to late Q2. Once we have more specifics trust me I will be posting the information here first thing.

Its already mid Q2 so a month and a half to go.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Yes, I'm not a 4K believer either, would rather have three of these monitors in surround, the problem with free sync is that we won't see 1.2a DP enabled monitors until Q3 or more, although at this rate those monitors will probably be released at the same time than the Swift...

C'mon Asus, hurry up and take my money already!

Have you tried 4K though? It does pretty much blow up your mind, on the right panel of course, not that TN crap that is being marketed with 1ms/4K.

Trust me ;)

System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Have you tried 4K though? It does pretty much blow up your mind, on the right panel of course, not that TN crap that is being marketed with 1ms/4K.

Trust me ;)

We just bought one of these monitors for the office for one of the engineers. It's a 28in single tile panel. The panel is not used for gaming and while I admit that games look terrific, the resolution makes it hard to focus on the text unless you use zoom. As I play fps almost entirely I definitely believe that the reduction of input lag and response time from 120mz panel at 2560x1440 is a better value proposition for me than the leap to 4K. I certainly have the graphics power to try (2xR9-290's in CF). I spent some time tow months ago with a 24in Asus 144hz panel and loved the fluid mouse and smooth frames, it was hard to go back to my Dell U2711, however I like the 2560x1440 resolution.

Guess I need to wait a little longer too :)

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
With AMD's Freesync being developed I can't help but think that Gsync is doomed, especially as Freesync is being picked up by Vesa...

Back on topic: I'd rather replace my U2711 with a 120hz 2560x1440 monitor than a 60fps 4K monitor. I may still buy in to the ROG when it arrives even with Gsync (I run a pair of R9-290's in CF, so Gsync is useless for me)..... having said this by the end of summer I expect to see a number of 2560x1440 monitors with true support for 120hz (not overclocked import) with better pricing than the ROG.

Just my opinion though :)

Most people do not understand that "freesync" isn't free. It's going to be a very long time before monitor manufacturers impliment VR into their monitors.

there are only a few laptop LCD's that have the VR capability.

Gsync is here it works. I have a feeling since Nvidia did all the leg work the monitor manufacturers will stick with Gsync.

System Name Intel 2023
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Most people do not understand that "freesync" isn't free. It's going to be a very long time before monitor manufacturers impliment VR into their monitors.

there are only a few laptop LCD's that have the VR capability.

Gsync is here it works. I have a feeling since Nvidia did all the leg work the monitor manufacturers will stick with Gsync.

I disagree, the specs for Freesync have already been finished and Vesa have incorporated them in to their specifications. All that is required are some driver updates (Nvidia and AMD) and some compatible monitors. Gsync is not supported by Vesa, is only suitable by SOME Nvidia cards and the hardware required to run Gsync will limit the monitors that come to market. How many Gsync monitors are available now? By the time Gsync monitors become available Freesync enabled monitors will also be available and in larger quantities as no specific Nvidia Gsync license will be required by the monitor manufacturers.

So Freesync will be cheaper to build in to pc monitors, supported by Vesa and will be compatible with both AMD and Nvidia......

Gsync is doomed..... Shame really as it is a great technology..... IMO of course :)

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
I disagree, the specs for Freesync have already been finished and Vesa have incorporated them in to their specifications. All that is required are some driver updates (Nvidia and AMD) and some compatible monitors. Gsync is not supported by Vesa, is only suitable by SOME Nvidia cards and the hardware required to run Gsync will limit the monitors that come to market. How many Gsync monitors are available now? By the time Gsync monitors become available Freesync enabled monitors will also be available and in larger quantities as no specific Nvidia Gsync license will be required by the monitor manufacturers.

So Freesync will be cheaper to build in to pc monitors, supported by Vesa and will be compatible with both AMD and Nvidia......

Gsync is doomed..... Shame really as it is a great technology..... IMO of course :)

It's not just a matter of display port 2.1 or whatever. Monitor manufacturers have to implement a scaler or logic board (what Gsync is) into their monitors.

It's not as easy as just saying ok we put DP 2.1 now we have VR. doesn't work like that. There is a lot more to VR and it all boils down the the logic/scaler board.

System Name Intel 2023
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Mouse Razer Basilisk
It's not just a matter of display port 2.1 or whatever. Monitor manufacturers have to implement a scaler or logic board (what Gsync is) into their monitors.

It's not as easy as just saying ok we put DP 2.1 now we have VR. doesn't work like that. There is a lot more to VR and it all boils down the the logic/scaler board.

Of course, however it is a whole lot easier and cheaper when Vesa adopt your design and specification and monitor manufacturers are not limited to specific hardware and licensing.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Of course, however it is a whole lot easier and cheaper when Vesa adopt your design and specification and monitor manufacturers are not limited to specific hardware and licensing.
agree there, There is nothing wrong with standards. I'm just speaking from a logical/economical point of view. I really hope manufacturers push VR into their monitors. I do think though that because G-sync is out and ready that they will lean on Nividia's tech as the "safer cheaper" rout then have to develope Boards for their monitors.

System Name Intel 2023
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Mouse Razer Basilisk
I've seen both technologies working and they both impressed the heck out of me. I do run a pair of R9-290's in CF at the moment on my gaming pc, so I have more of an interest in Freesync. I am not a fanboy having run a single GTX 780 before the 290's and a pair of GTX 670's in SLI before.

Right now I would have to say that Gsync is the more impressive of the technologies, however it is limited and will end up costing the consumer and manufacturer more.

Based on the costs associated with the Gsync technology and license alone I would imaging that a 27/28in 2560x1440 TN based panel running at an officially sanctioned and supported 120hz without Gsync would be at least $200-250 less, notwithstanding the ROG name and branding premium that Asus likes to charge....

For example you can buy the Asus VG248QE for $249 on Amazon and then purchase the Gsync do it your self upgrade kit from Nvidia for $199 plus shipping!!!!

Point I'm making here is that the Freesync while not free will be a lot cheaper than Gsync and available to all manufacturers and consumers..

When I saw the Swift at CES I was blown away and wanted one immediately, now I am happy to wait and see what comes to market.

Strategically a paper launch is not a good idea for manufacturers as the competition have a chance to develop a similar solution before the products appears in the channels. Nvidia should have kept quiet until they had a retail product to launch with, this would have given Gsync the market advantage over anything that AMD could bring to the table...

Anyhow, I think that we are a little off topic now. If this monitor comes to market at around the $600 mark then it may have a chance, at $800 it is unlikely to succeed....

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
I've seen both technologies working and they both impressed the heck out of me. I do run a pair of R9-290's in CF at the moment on my gaming pc, so I have more of an interest in Freesync. I am not a fanboy having run a single GTX 780 before the 290's and a pair of GTX 670's in SLI before.

Right now I would have to say that Gsync is the more impressive of the technologies, however it is limited and will end up costing the consumer and manufacturer more.

Based on the costs associated with the Gsync technology and license alone I would imaging that a 27/28in 2560x1440 TN based panel running at an officially sanctioned and supported 120hz without Gsync would be at least $200-250 less, notwithstanding the ROG name and branding premium that Asus likes to charge....

For example you can buy the Asus VG248QE for $249 on Amazon and then purchase the Gsync do it your self upgrade kit from Nvidia for $199 plus shipping!!!!

Point I'm making here is that the Freesync while not free will be a lot cheaper than Gsync and available to all manufacturers and consumers..

When I saw the Swift at CES I was blown away and wanted one immediately, now I am happy to wait and see what comes to market.

Strategically a paper launch is not a good idea for manufacturers as the competition have a chance to develop a similar solution before the products appears in the channels. Nvidia should have kept quiet until they had a retail product to launch with, this would have given Gsync the market advantage over anything that AMD could bring to the table...

Anyhow, I think that we are a little off topic now. If this monitor comes to market at around the $600 mark then it may have a chance, at $800 it is unlikely to succeed....

Way off topic, this thread is about the swift.

I expect to see the $ drop on the swift as did the 120hz 3Dvision monitors shortly after they're release.

Gsync was not a paper launch? I have the Asus VG248QE/Gsync and it works amazingly.

I bought a couple Acer HN274H when they first came out on new egg. Paid $650 not even 3 months later they were down to $550

I hope to see the same trend with all Gsync monitors after the initial launch. If DP standard VR works as well as Gsync (AMD's freesync demo sucked and anyone who saw it would agree it's a farcry from Gsync) It should keep Nvidia in price check hopefully.

I'm curious to see what the future brings for this tech.

Last edited:
System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Need to wait some more. JJ just said this a few hours ago

Its already mid Q2 so a month and a half to go.

Man I really Hope JJ is right. that is what he told me on twitter a week ago but ASUS tweeted me yesterday with mid July..... I just want them to get out stat!

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Last edited:
System Name Intel 2023
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
So that Acer is going to be 4K and have G-Sync? If they price it close to the Swift, it may really bring the heat to Asus, man all these new display technologies are really exciting!

I've had my 3D monitors for a few years now, but after gaming or browsing the net on the beautiful IPS 15.6" 1080p panel on my laptop the pixel density (or lack thereof) really hurt my eyes when I go back to my surround setup, and I'm talking about my main gaming rig here :(

I don't now what to do, 2560x1440 may be just a stopgap measure and cheaper 4K monitors may be just around the corner, man I wish I could go to a local store and just try the Swift before deciding what to do, I mean, I'm really excited for G-Sync, but at 4K that technology might actually be more beneficial as most video cards will struggle trying to maintain a smooth frame rate at such high resolution...

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
So that Acer is going to be 4K and have G-Sync? If they price it close to the Swift, it may really bring the heat to Asus, man all these new display technologies are really exciting!

I've had my 3D monitors for a few years now, but after gaming or browsing the net on the beautiful IPS 15.6" 1080p panel on my laptop the pixel density (or lack thereof) really hurt my eyes when I go back to my surround setup, and I'm talking about my main gaming rig here :(

I don't now what to do, 2560x1440 may be just a stopgap measure and cheaper 4K monitors may be just around the corner, man I wish I could go to a local store and just try the Swift before deciding what to do, I mean, I'm really excited for G-Sync, but at 4K that technology might actually be more beneficial as most video cards will struggle trying to maintain a smooth frame rate at such high resolution...

Pricing should be very competitive, there are going to be several new G-sync monitors releasing next month. Hopefully this competition will challenge ASUS/Swift price tag.

Do you guys remember how expensive 1080p was when it first came out, now it's dirt cheap because its the norm. I expect to this happen with 4k and G-sync in the near future. New tech is always a bit pricey at launch.

You have to take into account the ceiling and the floor of G-Sync. Frame rate cant drop constantly below 35 and you cant max to monitor either. You'll have to frame cap the games. ROG Swift will have a wider range being 120hz+

As far as IPS comparable. JJ already spoke a few times that its not comparable to anything other then being better then current TN panels.

JJ 4weeks ago
Additionally there are other varibles we must consider due to the difference in how we can color calibrate the monitor due to the G-SYNC implementation.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Way off topic, this thread is about the swift.
I expect to see the $ drop on the swift as did the 120hz 3Dvision monitors shortly after they're release.
Gsync was not a paper launch? I have the Asus VG248QE/Gsync and it works amazingly.

well Gsync is for people who game or care about gaming. If your not a gamer then G-sync is not necessary for you.
This thread is about G-sync and the ROG swift.
Kindly leave and troll else where if your here just to talk sh1T

It's about both apparently.

I have to admit I'm pretty excited for this monitor, more though about what competition it will bring with it's release which will hopefully drive down prices. It's about time there are some 3D capable monitors above 1080p :) GSync is just a bonus from my point of view.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
IT is here finally! $719 USD is the claim so far buy this rep in Europe.

I Hope they really do sell it for $700 instead of $800 here in the US.

I'll be replacing this 27" 120hz Acer with the Swift! So excited for this!

I don't understand why ppl bash TN panels so much. I've ordered my third TN display few days ago (size and refresh rate wise, not because the old one was crap as such), the 144Hz ASUS and i don't think i'll regret it. The older 2 had perfectly fine colors after tiny bit of tweaking the settings. The viewing angle was also never a problem. When do you game from the side of the screen? That would be like driving a race car from a passenger seat. You just never do that. If the colors are one or two shades off, like anyone cares when bullets are flying near your head and you have million other things to worry about than how bit perfect colors are.

Latency, frame skipping, absolute sharpness during motion etc, that's what matters for gamers, not super accurate colors.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Looking forward to what you have to say about the ROG Swift after you've tried it out Hitman_Actual and what others have to say too. I'm certainly interested in the Swift and $700 isn't too much to me as long as it's worth it. I'm either going to get the Swift or try an Asus PLS 1440p for $500. The way I look at it $700 for an improved gaming experience over the lifespan of a monitor isn't much at all.

I don't understand why ppl bash TN panels so much. I've ordered my third TN display few days ago (size and refresh rate wise, not because the old one was crap as such), the 144Hz ASUS and i don't think i'll regret it. The older 2 had perfectly fine colors after tiny bit of tweaking the settings. The viewing angle was also never a problem. When do you game from the side of the screen? That would be like driving a race car from a passenger seat. You just never do that. If the colors are one or two shades off, like anyone cares when bullets are flying near your head and you have million other things to worry about than how bit perfect colors are.

Latency, frame skipping, absolute sharpness during motion etc, that's what matters for gamers, not super accurate colors.

I've never used an IPS/PLS panel before but I think the people that hate TN panels is because they use their monitor for more than just gaming. I only use my desktop for gaming so that's all that matters to me. My laptop is for everything else.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Looking forward to what you have to say about the ROG Swift after you've tried it out Hitman_Actual and what others have to say too. I'm certainly interested in the Swift and $700 isn't too much to me as long as it's worth it. I'm either going to get the Swift or try an Asus PLS 1440p for $500. The way I look at it $700 for an improved gaming experience over the lifespan of a monitor isn't much at all.

I've never used an IPS/PLS panel before but I think the people that hate TN panels is because they use their monitor for more than just gaming. I only use my desktop for gaming so that's all that matters to me. My laptop is for everything else.

G-sync ,1440p and 144hz is why I'm all about The swift. My only use for this is gaming obviously. Being a Gsync user now for several months now I cannot go back to fixed refresh rate monitors. It's 2 different worlds all together. Seeing how much of system potential and power is being wasted on Fix refresh is totally discouraging. I rather game on my 3930K with a single 780(with Gsync) then my main rig with SLI titans(Fixed refresh rate 120hz)

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Well, i prefer to game with much cheaper Radeon gfx so G-Sync is totally useless to me either way.

Even without gsync this monitor will rock for gaming with 144Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time.

Bear in mind though that you'll pay a premium just for the G-Sync feature which like you said, you don't even need, I think there are less expensive alternatives there that will serve you better.

I'm still torn between this monitor and the Acer 4K with G-Sync, reports from computex actually mention that having gsync on a 4k monitor was really beneficial as having frame rates drop bellow 40FPS wasn't so jarring thanks to the synced refresh rate....

I guess in my case it'll come down to price, if the Swift is closer to the $700 mark and the Acer to the $900 I might just go for Asus, my Acer 3D panels have served me well but it's time to retire them :)