• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Z97-DELUXE NFC & WLC (Intel LGA 1150)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
We have none other than the Z97-DELUXE (WLC & NFC), ASUS's expensive high-end Intel Z97 product, with us today. Packing everything you expect and perhaps a few things you do not, the ASUS Z97-DELUXE (WLC & NFC) has everything Intel's latest platform has to offer, all wrapped into a classy new esthetic.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Nice review-----
wow ... what a wonderful board.....
if i werent into ROG and TUF boards i would buy this one - although, as you said...the pricetag some how seems to be on the high side

System Name LongBoi
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory 4x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (CMW32GX4M4D3600C16)
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC
Storage 2x WD Black (SN850X 2TB(OS), SN770 2TB), 2x Seagate HDDs (2TB+3TB)
Display(s) Asus TUF VG27AQ
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Nani!?
Power Supply EVGA Supernova P6 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Redragon K556
VR HMD VR is BS.
Software Windows 11 Pro (2H23)
Dat sexy-looking board!... Very nice review :)
But that price... :shadedshu:

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Nice review. Looking forward for Maximus VII series. :)

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
  • Color scheme used may not appeal to all
on the contrary, this is the best colour scheme so far. i like the black-silverish on other board too. as far as the rampage black edition goes, theres too much of red still.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
  • Color scheme used may not appeal to all
on the contrary, this is the best colour scheme so far. i like the black-silverish on other board too. as far as the rampage black edition goes, theres too much of red still.

Heh. I agree with you, actually, but the posts can be found everywhere. It is what it is. But the Rampage Black Edition? Man, I have mine sitting right here, can't say I agree with you on that bit. :roll: I'll have more to say on that subject specifically in a few weeks.

Dat sexy-looking board!... Very nice review :)
But that price... :shadedshu:

Well, you know, maybe there will be a version without the added goodies, that will be more affordable. I have my own ideas what that would cost ,but honestly, I haven't even looked to see if it exists in retail. :p

So, I just looked at Newegg, and they have the one without the added stuff for $289. Seems about right to me.

Nice review. Looking forward for Maximus VII series. :)

Soon. The HERO review is done, but I have many reviews done already, so maybe a few weeks it will be live, maybe sooner.

Nice review-----
wow ... what a wonderful board.....
if i werent into ROG and TUF boards i would buy this one - although, as you said...the pricetag some how seems to be on the high side
It's high, but not unjustified. Thunderbolt, NFC and WLC All have a cost. This board is like James Bond's BMW, not the fastest on the road, but ever so capable in the right hands, and filled with extra goodies. Every latest thing that comes with the platform, and some stuff for tie-in with other ASUS-branded products is all here. That's kind of what a "flagship" mainstream board should be.

Thing is, total build cost for a fully equipped board with all the high-end stuff is gonna cost ya $5k, and that's with a couple of 780 Ti cards.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Hey Cadaveca, nice review....

Can you tell me if the distance between the CPU socket and first memory slot is the same as Z87? It looks like it is........

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Hi Dave,

Any comment on the benchmarks, it looks like it's a noticeable (as far as artificial benchmarks are worth anything) amount slower than the MSI Gaming 5?

I'd be curious if removing some of the add-ons made any difference in this respect in case they are "doing things" in the background.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hi Dave,

Any comment on the benchmarks, it looks like it's a noticeable (as far as artificial benchmarks are worth anything) amount slower than the MSI Gaming 5?

I'd be curious if removing some of the add-ons made any difference in this respect in case they are "doing things" in the background.

Yeah, the installed software does have a slight impact. It's also worth noting that this isn't a GAMING product, so the BIOS is not tuned at "stock" like a gaming board would be. That said, since most performance-affecting options are available in BIOS, I see the benchmark results here a non-issue. I'd really like to remove as many benchmarks as possible, since even a BIOS flash can change this. You just have to have the knowledge to be able to get the best possible, and really, if this board was tuned to "perfection", then ASUS would have no reason to offer ROG products other than for colour. If you want top-level performance with a gaming focus, from ASUS, ROG is where it's at.

Hey Cadaveca, nice review....

Can you tell me if the distance between the CPU socket and first memory slot is the same as Z87? It looks like it is........

I did not have Z87 DELUXE, so cannot answer this question. Every board has slightly different measurements here, just in general. If you are thinking about waterblocks or similar, I suppose I could pull out my digital clamp...what are you after exactly?

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Good points Dave.

Indeed reviews of boards should be about stability and hardware extras/tweaking features. So yes, even just one or two benchmarks to show it's not performing really badly would make sense. :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Good points Dave.

Indeed reviews of boards should be about stability and hardware extras/tweaking features. So yes, even just one or two benchmarks to show it's not performing really badly would make sense. :)
Well, since this platform, for Intel, is also about power savings, and not just high-level performance, had ASUS tuned this board's BIOS like an ROG board, I would have seen that as a negative. ASUS' mainstream line-up is about showcasing tech and their own engineering, and changing a couple of options in BIOS that the end user has access to is hardly engineering anything.

I mean, these boards have physical switches to turn on XMP, even, TPU switch for minor auto OC, EPU for full power savings. It's SUPPOSED to be right in the middle of the results.

Also, in BIOS is this option to adjust multiplier settings for performance. Single-click options for added performance are here, they just aren't enabled at default, and I do not want to see them enabled at default in a mainstream product, either.

ASUS may have their own ideas on this too. However, in the end, I report out-of-the-box results anyway, and the results given are what I got on the most recent BIOS a the time. So it is even possible me flashing the board had an impact...

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As an audiophile I find it funny they had to name it "Crystal Sound."

Throws me back to the mid-1990s, when a Cirrus Logic-made pre-AC'97 onboard EISA CODEC was named "Crystal Sound."

Due to the limited bandwidth EISA gave it, its output quality with 16-bit 44.1 kHz was only marginally better than a musical greeting card.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
As an audiophile I find it funny they had to name it "Crystal Sound."

Throws me back to the mid-1990s, when a Cirrus Logic-made pre-AC'97 onboard EISA CODEC was named "Crystal Sound."

Due to the limited bandwidth EISA gave it, its output quality with 16-bit 44.1 kHz was only marginally better than a musical greeting card.

Yeah, that part did bug me, to be honest, because I have tested many many boards now, all in the same way. Admittedly, I have moved to a new OS, but having tested other ASUS products since this one in the exact same way, I found it odd that the sound did that when maxed out. I do have more than one cable to test with, and the only way to get decent numbers was with the volume lowered. This then required the input line level to be increased...

Normally, I just crank the volume knob. If there is surround software giving weird results, it shows before you even start the test, so I'll disable that if it is a problem. So, yeah, stuff enabled in driver, disabled... one channel is whacked.

Could just be my board in particular. Maybe I knocked something with VGA install... maybe it's got a cold joint somewhere.

Audio is a big part of why the score is what it is. Otherwise there'd be nothing to complain about here other than the price, but the board sold without the goodies easily explains that, so that's it.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I think you need to start taking points off when the board includes features that can't be used. Usually the boards have a choice between SATA express and M.2, which is reasonable, but ASUS takes the concept too far with this board. For $400 you shouldn't have to make compromises.

The only reason you would buy this board over its competitors is if you want Thunderbolt. But if you use Thunderbolt, then you have to disable two USB 3.0 ports and a SATA express connector. In that case why even include the USB 3.0 controller and the SATA express controller in the first place? The extra controllers only raise the cost. It seems like deceptive advertising on ASUS's part to tout that the board has all these features but to play down that you can't use them all at once.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
But if you use Thunderbolt, then you have to disable two USB 3.0 ports (USB5_6) found on rear panel OR a SATA express connector (SATA_EXPRESS_E1).

The board does this automatically if you use two of the three devices, yes, disables the third.

Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Case NZXT Source 530
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
The board does this automatically if you use two of the three devices, yes, disables the third.

Both have to be disabled for the PCIe slot to get x4 bandwidth. If you disable only one, then the PCIe slot gets x2 bandwidth and the Thunderbolt controller cannot be used to its full capacity.

See section 3.6.7 from the user's manual.

It's really pointless to include the extra controllers simply because there's no reason to buy this model if you aren't using Thunderbolt.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Both have to be disabled for the PCIe slot to get x4 bandwidth. If you disable only one, then the PCIe slot gets x2 bandwidth and the Thunderbolt controller cannot be used to its full capacity.

See section 3.6.7 from the user's manual.

It's really pointless to include the extra controllers if you bought the board to use Thunderbolt, and honestly, there's no reason to buy this model if you aren't using Thunderbolt.
I wonder if there is any actual impact. I'll have to plug in everything and test for myself.

Thunderbolt is primarly a display device. Does USB 5_6 get disabled and routed through Thunderbolt card to add in, or is USB 3.0 just naturally there?

Case NZXT Source 530
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
I wonder if there is any actual impact. I'll have to plug in everything and test for myself.

Thunderbolt is primarly a display device.

You do have a point. If you are using Thunderbolt as a display interface, then the PCIe x2 interface will be less of an issue. Thunderbolt has 20Gb/s of bandwidth for both display and PCIe while PCIe 2.0 x2 provides 10Gb/s. If you're using >10Gb/s for a display, then you don't need the extra interface bandwidth of PCIe x4.

That said, I think the main use for display over Thunderbolt is so that you can dock a laptop with one cable. In a desktop environment where you aren't constantly disconnecting cables I would think that you would want to run a separate Displayport cable just for the monitor signal and then a Thunderbolt cable for whatever external PCIe devices are required. In that case you could use the entire 20Gb/s of bandwidth for whatever PCIe devices are attached and PCIe x2 (10Gb/s) would be a bottleneck.

Does USB 5_6 get disabled and routed through Thunderbolt card to add in, or is USB 3.0 just naturally there?

USB 5_6 is driven by an ASMedia PCIe to USB controller. The board needs those PCIe lanes if you want to run the slot at x4 bandwidth. When you select x4 mode the board routes the PCIe lanes from the USB controller to the PCIe slot therefore disabling the controller.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, I have the board built up right now with 780 Ti SLi and ASUS Hyper Express. I'll add in the Thunderbolt card and dig a bit deeper into this when I get some more CPUs. I do plan on using this Z97-DELUXE a fair bit.

Considering on most board you couldn't do that, and the third slot would be driven by the CPU, I'm willing to overlook this problem although it IS something to be aware of. I am also curious as to what happens when you have all three populated...I assume by default the USB gets disabled.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Case Corsair 850D
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
I did not have Z87 DELUXE, so cannot answer this question. Every board has slightly different measurements here, just in general. If you are thinking about waterblocks or similar, I suppose I could pull out my digital clamp...what are you after exactly?

Hi, if you can just measure the distance like in the picture on the Z97 then I can compare it to my Z87.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Case Corsair 850D
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Cool man ,thanks a lot. I'll measure mine and see but I think its about the same.

System Name Cooler GTX660
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Cooling Aero Cool
Memory Cosair 8GB Vengance 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX660
Storage 1TB 2x500GB RAID 0
Display(s) 26 inch Samsung 1920 x 1200
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Onbord Realtek
Software Windows 8.0 64Bit
Nice boad, its sexy too, I love the the new black and gold theme from Asus rather than that Blue one.

System Name BLACK
Processor Intel i7 4790
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling LEPA AquaChanger 120
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3@2133Mhz
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 780 Ti WindForce 3X OC (SLI)
Storage WD BLACK SN720 256GB NVMe + Seagate 3TBx2 + 2TB + 1TB + 500GBx5
Display(s) Sony Bravia 42W650a
Case Coolermaster COSMOS II
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Recon 3D - CM Storm Sirus 5.1/Triton Pro+ 5.1
Power Supply Zalman ZM-1000HP (1000W)
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 & G602
Keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard & Logitech K800
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Beautiful motherboard. That combination of black with gold is superb.
Thanks Asus for using the black color!

It has everything a fan would want, however I think their price is excessive because it has certain drawbacks
- Poor audio chip. I've seen better audio chips on motherboards that cost half this board.

- It is impossible to fill all connectors at the same time: this is a problem that is inadmissible in a board this price.

- What's more, Skylake a year away, it makes even more difficult the decision to buy a motherboard for 1150 at this price.

In short, this board gives me mixed feelings of pleasure and disappointment.
It's beautiful where you look, immediately note its quality, but for $ 380 is the minimum that one would expect.