• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft and NVIDIA Team Up On Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4 And More

Ubisoft and NVIDIA today announced the next chapter in their strategic partnership bringing amazing PC gaming experiences to life in Ubisoft's highly anticipated upcoming titles including Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, The Crew and Tom Clancy's The Division.

NVIDIA's GameWorks Team is working closely with Ubisoft's development studios to incorporate cutting edge graphics technology and gaming innovations to create game worlds that deliver unprecedented realism and immersion. NVIDIA's GameWorks technology includes TXAA antialiasing, which provides Hollywood-levels of smooth animation, soft shadows, HBAO+ (horizon-based ambient occlusion), advanced DX11 tessellation, and NVIDIA PhysX technology.

"Working with NVIDIA has enabled us to bring an enhanced gameplay experience to our PC players," said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing, Ubisoft. "We look forward to continuing our partnership with NVIDIA on our biggest upcoming titles."

This announcement builds on the successful collaboration between Ubisoft and NVIDIA that added visually stunning effects to Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist, Assassins Creed IV Black Flag and Watch Dogs.

"We're excited to continue our long-term partnership with Ubisoft in bringing our latest PC technology to their games", said Tony Tamasi, senior vice president of Content & Technology at NVIDIA. "Through GameWorks, we have been able to add unique visual and gameplay innovations to deliver amazing experiences for these stellar Ubisoft games, I can't wait to play them myself."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Windforce
Processor i7-4790K @4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Gene VII
Cooling Swiftech H220X
Memory 12GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
Storage 1x Western Digital 160GB 1x OCZ ARC 240GB SSD
Case Corsair Carbide Air 240
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Coolermaster CM Storm Quickfire TK
Software Windows 10
Bringing the amazing watch dogs experience to pc kappa

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Bringing the amazing watch dogs experience to pc kappa

I really wanted to know what the problem people have with watch dogs on the PC. I finished the game with a 3570K and GTX660, setting the graphics to reasonable level (high texture, SMAA, other settings mostly high) and it seems fine.

The only problem I have with the game is that if I alt+tab out and in, there's a huge stutter + freeze but it's fixed if I restart the game.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
oh great purposely poor performing games ahead.

They way its meant to be paid.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Still promoting the junk called TXAA I see. How can they still pursue this garbage forward, is beyond my understanding....

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I really wanted to know what the problem people have with watch dogs on the PC. I finished the game with a 3570K and GTX660, setting the graphics to reasonable level (high texture, SMAA, other settings mostly high) and it seems fine.

The only problem I have with the game is that if I alt+tab out and in, there's a huge stutter + freeze but it's fixed if I restart the game.

The problem is lack of good performance with AA cranked up on Radeon. Radeon users have no TXAA, so we're left with 4x MSAA to have any hope of clean graphics, and 4x MSAA roasts the GPU, leading to throttling and rubber-banding.

The end result still doesn't end up looking like it needed so much GPU power to process.

This is what makes Gameworks suck, and incomparable to AMD GamingEvolved. Games bearing GamingEvolved play just as good on AMD and NVIDIA, with the same effects and features; while Gameworks gives games features that are exclusive to GeForce.

Don't bring in the Mantle argument. Mantle doesn't give a game any new eye-candy. It only makes low-end CPUs play the game better.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
The problem is lack of good performance with AA cranked up on Radeon. Radeon users have no TXAA, so we're left with 4x MSAA to have any hope of clean graphics, and 4x MSAA roasts the GPU, leading to throttling and rubber-banding.

The end result still doesn't end up looking like it needed so much GPU power to process.
Relax. No need for the blurry-resource hog TXAA. I am playing using Temporal SMAA which is way, way better, both quality and speed, than any TXAA, MSAA or other resource hungry techniques.

I didn't see any special visual effects playing Watch Dogs on my GTX670. The graphics look very cartoonish and flamboyantly bright. The physics effects and movement mechanics are pretty much identical to those in Assassin's Creed. I didn't finish the game, or rather I couldn't get myself to play the game after a couple of days or 3.5 hours of game play.

I'm also opposed to Nvidia's Gameworks "middleware". Considering the game doesn't look better than BF4 and runs much worse than BF4, I don't see what the point was in using a bunch of specially compiled .dll files by Nvidia without any source code around to make sense of by both Ubisoft and AMD/Intel.

This is what makes Gameworks suck, and incomparable to AMD GamingEvolved. Games bearing GamingEvolved play just as good on AMD and NVIDIA, with the same effects and features; while Gameworks gives games features that are exclusive to GeForce.

Don't bring in the Mantle argument. Mantle doesn't give a game any new eye-candy. It only makes low-end CPUs play the game better.

Yet developers are choosing to use GameWorks regardless of everything you said.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Still promoting the junk called TXAA I see. How can they still pursue this garbage forward, is beyond my understanding....

Imo, it's the best AA/performance hit there is that pretty much removes visible aliasing. Blurry? Yes and it's quickly noticeable but I think just leaving the option there for those that prefer having no aliasing rather than sharper image is a pretty good idea. At least we can choose whether we want to use it or not while Nvidia (or others) works on something new (hopefully).

I really hope SMAA catches up though. It baffles me that some games still only have FXAA, since SMAA is plain better while having around the same performance hit.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro

Well said.

System Name Handsome Bear
Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
Memory Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
Storage OCZ Vector 180 240GB Plextor M6S 256 GB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Antec EDGE 550W
Mouse Tek Syndicate Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
Software Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 17.1
NOOOOO!!! Sad thing, Nvidia workshop means all Ubi games be unoptimized laggy mess even for Nvidia users. GG.

System Name Pukeko
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
Video Card(s) Asus RX 5600 XT TUF Gaming X3 OC
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q
Case NZXT, H510i, Matte Black/Red, Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) TUF Gaming H3
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W Gold
Mouse Touchpad + Logitech MX518
Keyboard Cooler Master, CK 350, Outemu Red
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 7,42,69 and 666
For me, as an AMD GPU user this means that I will download the game to check how it runs, before paying anything.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
oh great purposely poor performing games ahead.

They way its meant to be paid.

I thought you will be happy. (GR: Future Soldier, Tomb Raider, Dirt Showdown, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution...)

Why scrubs so desperately trying to prove that FXAA/TXAA blurs especially when they don't even use it?

This remind me Dirt Showdown and global illumination.

So what's better: don't have some features (GameWorks) or have it but can't turn them on because gameplay would be impossible.

I didn't see any special visual effects playing Watch Dogs on my GTX670. The graphics look very cartoonish and flamboyantly bright. The physics effects and movement mechanics are pretty much identical to those in Assassin's Creed. I didn't finish the game, or rather I couldn't get myself to play the game after a couple of days or 3.5 hours of game play.

I'm also opposed to Nvidia's Gameworks "middleware". Considering the game doesn't look better than BF4 and runs much worse than BF4, I don't see what the point was in using a bunch of specially compiled .dll files by Nvidia without any source code around to make sense of by both Ubisoft and AMD/Intel.

Because BF4 based on renamed Frostbite 2 engine from 2011. Ant it runs on 2014 hardware.

bunch of specially compiled .dll files by Nvidia without any source code around to make sense of by both Ubisoft and AMD/Intel.

Where did I heard this? Oh yeah, Mantle. No sence for Nvidia, Intel, Mali, PowerVR.

Ignorant as always

Why scrubs so desperately trying to prove that FXAA/TXAA blurs especially when they don't even use it?

Ever occurred to you people might own both ?..

Where did I heard this? Oh yeah, Mantle. No sence for Nvidia, Intel, Mali, PowerVR.

Mantle doesn't affect competitors DX performance. The compiled .DLL issue with GameWorks was raised by developers through social media and how it was bad for the industry before Nvidia partially opened it up to certain features after pressure.

Last edited:
System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
Ignorant as always.

Mantle doesn't affect competitors DX performance. The compiled .DLL issue with GameWorks had to be raised by developers complaining through social media and how it was bad for the industry before Nvidia partially opened it up to certain features.
and yet what recus mentioned above is true, stop being a fanboy all of the evidence shows that if amd had more developers in their pocket the same would happen to us. Amd is far from being classified as "good" company !!

and yet what recus mentioned above is true, stop being a fanboy all of the evidence shows that if amd had more developers in their pocket the same would happen to us.

Amd is far from being classified as "good" company just remember that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ubisoft do seem amazingly determined to make people pirate their games.

Personally, I'll avoid anything with this GameWorks crap entirely, despite having a mix of AMD & NVIDIA.

trustedsource

This is not a GameWorks related problem. Watch Dogs only use this lib for two effects. Even if you turn these off, the game still run poorly.
The problem is the engine. Ubisoft spends a lot of money to understand D3D11 deferred contexts. But even Microsoft admits that deferred contexts is a complete failure, so spending money to implement that function is the worst way to gain speed in a D3D renderer. It is hard to implement it right and stable, and the technique is simply not working in a complex game.
Most publishers just don't care about this, and they research other techniques to gain speed. For example well known effects redesigned with compute shaders in mind, or there is a D3D11_MAP_WRITE_NO_OVERWRITE function in D3D11.1, which is a huge help for CPU-limited scenarios.

Ubisoft just don't want to spend too much money on PC. They aware now that even if an idea is good the actual standard APIs are not working correctly in complex scenarios, so the actual implementation could be sucks. In this case they just licenc the effects from NVIDIA, because it's cheap ... and if a studio won't implement Mantle the only thing that matters is to bring the PC port in the cheapest way possible.

There will be Mantle titles where some effects doesn't possible in D3D. In this case these will be Mantle exclusives. Mostly high-tech console effects.

Last edited:
I always find it laughable, to me it just seems like butt hurt people wanting everything anytime mantel or gameworks comes up.

Can't do xxx because i don't own card from company yyy. A complaint that can easily be summed up because it feels wrong and it feels wrong because a person cannot have both without doing something unreasonable like having two gaming computers.

Trying to blame one or the other while especially absolving the other is just mud throwing and unproductive just encourages more partisan tactics.

Simple truth is AMD pays game companies either literally or with resources such as engineers to get mantel into games. It's the same deal with Nvidia and gameworks they give away their time and resources to get their own product showcased.

Mantel wouldn't be in anything larger than indie without that support from AMD and gameworks wouldn't be a thing if nvidia charged companies to use it.

It's the same idea just different vectors.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
I hope you Nvidia cooperate more efficiently with gaming industry and bring more SLI utilization not like the garbage Watch dogs ,OMG "The division" RIP.

trustedsource

I hope you Nvidia cooperate more efficiently with gaming industry and bring more SLI utilization not like the garbage Watch dogs ,OMG "The division" RIP.
NVIDIA can do nothing if an engine is too complex for efficient AFR. D3D11 és OpenGL don't provide good QoS for multi-GPU and this won't change.

NVIDIA can do nothing if an engine is too complex for efficient AFR. D3D11 és OpenGL don't provide good QoS for multi-GPU and this won't change.

Bad programming. The engine is a hybrid of Anvil and Dunia and if Ubisoft hasn't figured out how to optimize their own engines time and time again. There is little hope for PC users wanting more then a higher texture/audio console port.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs’ Engine Was Originally Built for Driver
It’s not like Watch Dogs started as Watch Dogs. The Watch Dogs project was initially another game. At some point it changed. That’s at least three years ago, and then the Watch Dogs project reused some of the work that had been done on this driving engine.”

Last edited:

trustedsource

Bad programming. The engine is a hybrid of Anvil and Dunia and if Ubisoft hasn't figured out how to optimize their own engines time and time again. There is little hope for PC users wanting more then a higher texture/audio console port.
But the same programmers write extremely good code for consoles. So they are extremely skilled. But even the most talented programmers can't able write a good code for the standard APIs. There is a reason why Mantle is so popular. If you find a problem in the Mantle renderer you just profile it and fix it. You can profile a D3D renderer also, but some case it is almost impossible to fix performance problems. More complex engines means more unfixable scenarios.

Last edited: