• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus HD 7770 2Gb, Not Working, Currently Have Intergrated... HELP

System Name ViBox
Processor AMD 3.4 Ghz Quad Core
Motherboard Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Video Card(s) Intergrated ATI Radeon 3000
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
Software Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Hi everyone,

I currently have in my computer an intergrated graphics card, the ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics.

I have bought myself a new Asus 7770 2gb dedicated graphics card to use instead.

I did much research on the subject and when i went to change it i have encountered some problems. Firstly i downloaded all the necessary drivers from the website for the 7770, which i know are up to date now. Then i went to install my new gpu and when i turned the computer back on i had no signal (yes i had plugged HDMI into the gpu not the MOBO). Therefore i unplugged the gpu, rebooted my system and went into my BIOS. In BIOS i changed the settings from 'pci' to 'OnBoard VGA'. I then booted my system and had video. I turned the system off, plugged in my 7770 and booted, this time i was using the intergrated as a primary video so i could see, with the 7770 plugged in. When i went into 'Device Manager' the computer could see that the 7770 was plugged in, and said it was 'working properly'. From this i thought that surely this means my GPU is not broken. In GPU-Z it reads the device as having no clock speed or anything like that. Then when i disable my ATI 3000, enable my 7770, and go into bios and select the settings to 'PEG'. When i boot the system there is still no signal. Can someone PLEASE HELP.

Thankyou for your time and help.

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Welcome to TPU

test with another VGA/HDMI/DVI cable [ensure monitor [input select] is set to correct input signal]
ensure power cables to the vga card are secure
make sure the PSU has enough amps on the 12v rail to power the card

vga card boots to BIOS Screen [If no *test it in another PCIe slot: *If available]
ensure motherboard bios is up to date: *still no boot to bios [*if possible test vga card in another system; if same vga card maybe DOA]

unplug 24/8/4 pin power from motherboard; remove all hardware from motherboard; reseat CPU; [while CPU is removed from the motherboard reset CMOS]
use minimal hardware setup when testing: PSU, Motherboard, CPU & Heatsink, single stick of memory and vga card [plug-in keyboard and mouse - boot to bios]

Note: before clearing CMOS write down settings on paper

General Info here

atb

Law-II

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
+1 one for the bios reset.

I have worked on AsRock boards that required completely removing the cmos battery and leaving the pc unplugged for 2-3mins before plugging everything back in before the system would boot up with the new GPU

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
I have had to previously reset the CMOS to allow myself to restore the system to defaults so i could use it again. Are you saying that if i reset the CMOS, then plug in the graphics card, THEN boot the system, that it will work with the new GPU?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
make sure the onboard video is set to DISABLED and that the bios video select is set to PCIe or PEG
also make sure their is no DVI > VGA adapter plugged into the on-board or something silly like that

if that doesn't work
clear cmos
install gpu
boot system
in that order

try connecting with a DVI cable

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Plug the new gpu in then reset the cmos or rest first then plug it in it really doesnt matter so long as it has the new gpu installed when you first boot then it should be ok.

If that doesnt work then try testing the card in a spare pc if you have one.

It would also help if you list your power supply that you are using just to rule out power being part of the problem

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
Okay thankyou everyone, i will try that now and post a response asap.

Thankyou very much for all your help so far.

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
Okay so i removed the graphics card, reset CMOS, and plugged it back in. I re booted the system and still no signal. I did however have my speakers plugged in, and i could hear windows and everything loading up... Surely this is a good sign?

Any other advice? Thankyou once again.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Okay so i removed the graphics card, reset CMOS, and plugged it back in. I re booted the system and still no signal. I did however have my speakers plugged in, and i could hear windows and everything loading up... Surely this is a good sign?

have you checked the slot? maybe it didnt sit right or you may test it on other pc just make sure

System Name Winter Heater
Processor Intel Core I7 5820k@4250 Mhz
Motherboard ASUS x99 Deluxe
Cooling Cryorig H5
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 + 2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) OEM GTX 970
Storage Seagate ST4000VN000, Hitachi 2TB, Crucial CX500 1TB
Display(s) LG 23EA63
Case Thermaltake Versa N21
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
You need to disable the integrated gfx and make sure it initializes the dedicated gfx in bios. On my motherboard there's a choice between IGD and PEG. I don't know how it's on Gigabyte boards, but it's worth checking it out :).

System Name YACS amd.
Processor 5800x, 5700g, i9-9900k
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite. or msi x570 gaming plus
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 16,16,16, 36, or gskill
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx, or 6750xt watercooled. (alphacool)
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.

great, so the computer is working...

sometimes that happens, because windows thinks that a second monitor is hooked up, and is displaying the desktop on the "second monitor" which does not exist, thus you can not see the desktop.

so shutdown the computer, and switch the monitor cable to the integrated graphics, then start it up. if you can see the desktop, great.

if not...

so we need default windows to the main screen, which is a pain to reset... shut down computer, remove the graphics card. set to integrated graphics. get to the desktop. then shutdown, add graphics card. (don't move the monitor cable)
see if windows 7 "sees the graphics card"...

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox

sometimes that happens, because windows thinks that a second monitor is hooked up, and is displaying the desktop on the "second monitor" which does not exist, thus you can not see the desktop.

so shutdown the computer, and switch the monitor cable to the integrated graphics, then start it up. if you can see the desktop, great.

if not...

so we need default windows to the main screen, which is a pain to reset... shut down computer, remove the graphics card. set to integrated graphics. get to the desktop. then shutdown, add graphics card. (don't move the monitor cable)

Well, i know that windows 7 see's the graphics card already because when i have it plugged in and i use the intergrated graphics card, the 7770 displays in Device Manager. Is that of any help?

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
You need to disable the integrated gfx and make sure it initializes the dedicated gfx in bios. On my motherboard there's a choice between IGD and PEG. I don't know how it's on Gigabyte boards, but it's worth checking it out :).

Yes this has all been previously done but it did not resolve the problem, we are currently on the step after that of trying to resolve it. Thankyou for your help, though

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox

if not...

Also, i will try doing that and seeing if i get a signal from the Intergrated gfx as you said. If i do get signal, as you said, what would be the steps from there?

System Name YACS amd.
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Mouse logitech g703
Well, i know that windows 7 see's the graphics card already because when i have it plugged in and i use the intergrated graphics card, the 7770 displays in Device Manager. Is that of any help?

great, now we just need to add it as a second screen...(to test the new gpu) hook up the 7770 to the monitor using another cable, so you can switch between cards using the monitor...

so right click on desktop, select "screen resolution", extend the desktop... switch the monitor input, to see if you can see the "extended desktop"

if that does not work, then uninstall the graphics drivers, then run drive sweeper/display driver inistaller to remove the last bits of driver, then shutdown the computer, and move the monitor cable to the 7770... windows should start in "default resolution", and you can install the drivers, and everything should be ok.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
great, now we just need to add it as a second screen...(to test the new gpu) hook up the 7770 to the monitor using another cable, so you can switch between cards using the monitor...

so right click on desktop, select "screen resolution", extend the desktop... switch the monitor input, to see if you can see the "extended desktop"

if that does not work, then uninstall the graphics drivers, then run drive sweeper/display driver inistaller to remove the last bits of driver, then shutdown the computer, and move the monitor cable to the 7770... windows should start in "default resolution", and you can install the drivers, and everything should be ok.

Okay thankyou... That sounds a bit complicated but im sure i'll manage it xD
I'll try and do that today and ill post a reply asap.
Thankyou very much... Also
Does it sound to you like the card will work, and its not DOA?

System Name YACS amd.
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Mouse logitech g703
Okay thankyou... That sounds a bit complicated but im sure i'll manage it xD
I'll try and do that today and ill post a reply asap.
Thankyou very much... Also
Does it sound to you like the card will work, and its not DOA?

i think that if windows recognizes it, it is not DOA. but i have had problems with amd drivers, so completely removing the drivers, and running a clean install of the drivers seems to fix it.

if you can see the bios boot/splash screen on the card, it isn't DOA. (99 percent of the time...)

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
i think that if windows recognizes it, it is not DOA. but i have had problems with amd drivers, so completely removing the drivers, and running a clean install of the drivers seems to fix it.

if you can see the bios boot/splash screen on the card, it isn't DOA. (99 percent of the time...)

I have not done what you said yet, as i am still uncertain on how to do it, however;

I have collected a series of print screens that may be relevant. You may want to look through them to find some information.

The first is of the resolution settings that you mentioned. These are with the graphics card plugged in whilst using the Integrated as the visual display.

Resolution.jpg

The second is of when the 7770 is enabled, and the intergrated is disabled. The display is still however coming out of the integrated.
When using 7770.jpg

Note that it says the 7770 has no conflicts when enabled and the intergrated disabled.

This is of the 7770 when viewed in GPU-Z:
GPU tweak.jpg

The next is simply of the 7770 in device manager whilst using the integrated gfx:
GFX DEVICE MANAGER.jpg

I hope these are of some help.
Thankyou.

(i am currently working on the other aspects you mentioned to try)

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox

Okay so i have tried the 'extend desktop method. When i select extend desktop and switch to the VGA input coming from the 7770 there is still no signal from the VGA.

All that happens is when i select it, the normal display displays no icons, desktop, start menu ect...

Therefore if i need to try the other method. Could you describe that method in more detail please. Thankyou.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
rma the card

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
rma means sent it back for replacement card is defective
./thread

May i ask how you have come to this conclusion?
Others seem to think the card is not defective; according to the evidence.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
May i ask how you have come to this conclusion?
Others seem to think the card is not defective; according to the evidence.
because I know more then he does if the card isn't displaying video on boot(you said you got no video on boot with the card connected to the monitor) and isn't working directly after booting into windows then odds are the video out DRIVERCHIP on the card is defective or there is something wrong with the HDMI out on the card
it has nothing todo with drivers or software or windows bugs
no video on post = dead card
your board is new enough to where you should not need to change anything in the bios
you can try DVI > VGA adapter and hook it up via vga

System Name ViBox
Cooling Default cpu fans
Memory 8gb Ram
Storage 1Tb HDD
Case ViBox
because I know more then he does if the card isn't displaying video on boot(you said you got no video on boot with the card connected to the monitor) and isn't working directly after booting into windows then odds are the video out DRIVERCHIP on the card is defective or there is something wrong with the HDMI out on the card
it has nothing todo with drivers or software or windows bugs
no video on post = dead card
your board is new enough to where you should not need to change anything in the bios
you can try DVI > VGA adapter and hook it up via vga

But, in device manager it says the device is working properly.
It also shows up in GPU-Z