• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteelSeries Introduces The Sentry Eye Tracker

Today, as E3 kicks off in Los Angeles, SteelSeries, global gaming peripherals leader, announced eye tracking technology that is specifically designed and optimized for gamers. In a partnership forged earlier this year with Tobii Technology, the global leader in eye tracking, SteelSeries is introducing the Sentry Eye Tracker. This virtual, visual coach provides players with the ability to track, analyze and benchmark eye movement and behaviors during gameplay in order to improve and ultimately win.

"When you think about the concept of eye tracking, you immediately think of innovation and next generation technology; apply that to gaming and you have something truly unique for gamers," said Tino Soelberg, SteelSeries CTO. "At its core, the Sentry employs eye-tracking functionality from our partner, Tobii, who has been a pioneer in eye tracking across many industries. When you take that core functionality and apply the deep gaming expertise of SteelSeries, we think we are able to offer a product that is innovative and incredibly beneficial to gamers."

THE VIRTUAL & VISUAL COACH
The SteelSeries Sentry Eye Tracker brings players an entirely new way to train for competitive gaming, by allowing the player to analyze a wide range of statistics based on where and how long a user focused, or fixated, on the screen. Fixations per Minute (FPM) tracks how often a user moves his or her eye gaze and attention around the screen; low values indicate that the gamer is able to process a lot of information. For comparison, FPM in eye tracking is the same type of correlation as APM or the total numbers of actions per minute a player can perform.

In order to provide gamers with a standard for their eye-tracking stats, SteelSeries is working with some of the world's top-performing professional gamers to establish peak performance goals. This benchmarking will allow users to compare their eye movements in gaming sessions with those of professional-level champions. It's these benchmark comparisons that will allow users to gain deeper insight into how to use their eyes to improve their game.

Chief Gaming Officer and former captain of Team Fnatic, Patrik 'cArn' Sättermon, who believes in the value and benefit of innovative technologies like eye-tracking said, "We are constantly looking for ways to improve, even if its improvement at a granular level, that will sometimes be the difference between death and victory. Our players are incredibly motivated to not only use the Sentry Eye Tracker for their own gaming, but to be able to create standards that other players can measure their progress against."

OPTICAL INNOVATION
Beyond the features of analyzing and benchmarking, the Sentry Eye Tracker also has the capability to enhance gameplay by using eye movement as a new type of in-game control. SteelSeries and Tobii are working together to offer this functionality in the future. With the capacity to operate and control games with eye movement, the game enhancement opportunities are endless.

SteelSeries and Tobii will also work with additional partners to implement eye-tracking functionality into other platforms specifically dedicated towards gamers. For example, Overwolf is working with the Sentry to optimize the social aspect of gaming by implementing its overlay application with eye-tracking accessibility. It will provide users of the SteelSeries Sentry with instant access to their social media channels and web, as well as the ability to share their gaming sessions amongst community and friends.

The SteelSeries Sentry Eye Tracker will be available to gamers later this year. For more information, video content, information for game developers and to stay up-to-date on the product announcements, please visit steelseries.com/steelseries-sentry-eye-tracker.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Just what I need , eyeball benchmarks!!

Reminds me of OCZ neural impulse thing a few years ago.....they sold a few then it disappeared, never to be seen again.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not interested in terms of "improving my gaming" but as a Software Engineer this could be a very cheap solution for testing out user interfaces with user experience testers.

Could be neat if it would pop up different applications depending on if I look above my monitor or to the right.

Or pause a game when I close my eyes for more than 2 seconds.

It also seems like this is the kind of thing Valve wanted a few years back when they were investigating sensors to determine the mood of the player. If your eyes widen, it could be used in a game trying to induce fear to suggest fear has been accomplished and provide the player dynamically more of what works on the player. As it starts to diminish in fear factor, you could have the computer begin probing to determine what new horrors to display. Switching them in and out to determine what works and what doesn't.

Sounds great, right? Too bad a niche peripheral won't get the kind of traction to help us get to a future where our games are adjusting to our moods because, well, ...they'll be niche. Maybe when they're built into every monitor/tablet...

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Just what I need , eyeball benchmarks!!

Reminds me of OCZ neural impulse thing a few years ago.....they sold a few then it disappeared, never to be seen again.
That OCZ neural impulse was very fun to play with for a few months, before I sold it just under what I paid.