• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Z97 OC Formula Sets Two New World Records

ASRock Inc., the Taiwanese global leading motherboard manufacturer, breaks one new world record after another! With the latest flagship ASRock Z97 OC Formula, John Lam, a professional overclocker from HKEPC OC, has pushed Intel Core i7-4770K Processor to astonishing 7181.23 MHz and ranked the world's No.1 at HWBOT.org!

As merely one world record wasn't able to satisfy him, John Lam has even achieved another world record. With the same CPU + MB combination, he scored unprecedented 1601 marks in Intel XTU and gave the world a new definition of CPU overclocking!

Now, everyone is curious about "how is this possible?" Undoubtedly, ASRock Z97 OC Formula made a great contribution. Designed and fine-tuned by the legendary overclocker Nick Shih, ASRock Z97 OC Formula is built with "Super Alloy Technology", including XXL Aluminum Alloy Heatsink for fast heat dissipation, Premium Alloy Choke which largely lowers working temperature, Dual-Stack MOSFET for more efficient CPU Vcore power, and NexFET MOSFET which provides DRAM power more efficiently and resistance against electrostatic discharge up to 15KV. These luxurious components are very crucial when it comes to breaking the world's OC record.

In addition to Super Alloy Technology, ASRock Z97 OC Formula also packs the newly added 4 Phase Memory Power design and inherits the excellent tradition of OC Formula series, including Multiple Filter Cap, Hi-Density Power Connector, 12 Phase CPU Power design, 8 Layer PCB, 4 x 2oz copper, and a whole lot more. Besides, there is another secret weapon in BIOS - Jumbo V. By providing a wider range of CPU Vcore and VCCM options to a maximum of 3V, Jumbo V allows overclockers to select the most optimal settings for extremely overclocking. If you are pursuing the ultimate overclocking experience or even trying to break the current world record, ASRock Z97 OC Formula is definitely the motherboard you should never overlook!

Learn more about ASRock Z97 OC Formula:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 OC Formula/

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

stulid

This has more to do with finding a good CPU rather than the board itself.

BenchmarkBOT

This has more to do with finding a good CPU rather than the board itself.

Have to disagree mate,

For instance, put that same CPU on below-average Z97 board without proper tuning, and you won't reach the exact same frequency. Under air/watercooling, these OC Boards won't give you much OC advantage(or there won't be any at all), but I've seen that under LN2 some CPU can clock differently on different board even if you used the same settings. The iVR on Haswell makes VRM on motherboard 'less' important, but in the end there are some fine tuning given on these boards that will make that little MHz difference.

More importantly, reaching high XTU scores like that needs not only great CPU speed, but also good memory tuning. If you have tried some Samsung-based IC, try clocking it on a 'normal' Z97 motherboard, and I doubt you'll reach DDR3-2800++ 9-12-12-18 1T stable with all the subtiming and RTLs tightened up, as with these OC boards.

And if you noticed, these OC boards have been given so many fine-tuning that reaching these kind of insane speeds will be 'easier' than using a 'normal' board. I won't argue that a cherry-picked CPU sample is needed for these record, but put these golden CPU with the same settings on average motherboard, and I doubt it will reach same frequency and/or benchmark scores.

The difference between a 'normal' motherboard to a OC motherboard is subtle, and sometimes the range is too little to give any perceived difference to 99.9% of all the users out there. But that doesn't mean that there won't be a few 0.1% who will go the extra mile to push that record. And for these extreme-overclockers, that motherboard matters.

Just my 2c,

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The difference between a 'normal' motherboard to a OC motherboard is subtle, and sometimes the range is too little to give any perceived difference to 99.9% of all the users out there. But that doesn't mean that there won't be a few 0.01% who will go the extra mile to push that record. And for these extreme-overclockers, that motherboard matters.

Just my 2c,

You're pretty much totally right here. Memory trace design and VRM frequency options and ability matter when pushing limits under sub-zero for sure. And only 0.1% of users care about that. So why even bother selling products like this to normal users?

Because the R&D that goes into these designs gets passed down to other boards, sometimes.

I have that Samsung kit, and I have been playing with lots of boards, and just BIOS support sucks. Why many boards @ 2666 offer less performance compared to Z77, due to BIOS tuning, I am not sure. You can see it in my reviews, even with some Z87 boards...2666 memory performance SUCKS. But then, why would you run a $750 16 GB memory kit on a <$300 motherboard?

I try, just because I can. But then you look at those "lesser boards"...and can be highly critical.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
1.89v suicide run? Newsworthy?

If you look at mostly all record OC, all of them are same way, super high volts that are gonna fry the cpu in short time.