• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROG SWIFT PG278Q Official release tracking thread.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I don't understand why ppl bash TN panels so much. I've ordered my third TN display few days ago (size and refresh rate wise, not because the old one was crap as such), the 144Hz ASUS and i don't think i'll regret it. The older 2 had perfectly fine colors after tiny bit of tweaking the settings. The viewing angle was also never a problem. When do you game from the side of the screen? That would be like driving a race car from a passenger seat. You just never do that. If the colors are one or two shades off, like anyone cares when bullets are flying near your head and you have million other things to worry about than how bit perfect colors are.

Latency, frame skipping, absolute sharpness during motion etc, that's what matters for gamers, not super accurate colors.

I agree with you regarding TN panels and games; I find that many of the detractors of TN panels only think they way they do because they have never seen a good TN panel. If the only TN panels you have ever seen are on cheap laptops circa 2008, then of course your opinion of TN panels will be that they are all horrible.

I would like to get three of these 120Hz G-Sync monitors in the future, but what's holding me back is not ASUS but that NVidia does not have drivers that support G-sync and surround at the same time. The drivers may be coming (I don't see how NVidia could reasonably alienate surround users) but I don't want to buy this monitor only to have a better model come out by the time the software is released.

Yeah. TN on my sister's laptop was horrible. Any other angle than 90° was hardly visible. Where on my cheap Compaq, it's perfectly fine. Colors change slightly, but not as much to become almost invisible. Same for stand alone TN monitors. Only vertical plane affects the image the most. But i hardly ever watch it any other way than near perfect 90° angle.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
Yeah, i did take the ASUS 144Hz 1ms without G-Sync module. It's probably the same thing as above, just without G-Sync.
Exactly:

I bought the ASUS VG248QE(NVIDIA G-SYNC) from digital storm with the module pre-installed. My uncle has this monitor with out Gsync and it still get's it done.

I'm just totally sold and Fixed on Gsync. I hope in the future variable refresh rate will actually become a standard. One thing AMD has not been forthcoming about is that yah they helped push the vesa DP1.2a standard that can support VR but does it? No it doesn't magically do this by itself, it requires the monitor manufacturers to replace the logic board with a VR type board like Gsync. And bet your butt there will be a premium for that.

Nothing is free in this world. Especially when you want the best experience. Free-sync makes me laugh because it's not free. It will only work on the most current AMD cards and there has not been a single monitor company confirming yet that they will be deploying VR capable monitors. This is yet to be seen.

with all that said I think the future will Show that VR is very important and will become main stream and Fixed refresh rate like CRT's will be the past.

Last edited:
Well, FreeSync has just been accepted by VESA standard body, so you can't expect hardware being released already. And no, you don't need some special super expensive hardware attached to monitor, like you do with the G-sync (not to mention you're limited to GeForce cards only then).

Seams JJ got tired of the questions

JJ 9 hours ago
Any news or updates will be posted in the FAQ section of the article. Stay tuned.

Maybe you seen these. VG278H on left PG278Q on right.

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Hm, that pendulum looks sharper on the left monitor. O is that just a camera issue?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I'm guessing it is a camera issue though, I mean it has to be. The resolution does look MILES better on the swift though which is how it should be.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Well, FreeSync has just been accepted by VESA standard body, so you can't expect hardware being released already. And no, you don't need some special super expensive hardware attached to monitor, like you do with the G-sync (not to mention you're limited to GeForce cards only then).

When G-sync was introduced back in October 2013 5 major monitor companies were on board and expresses their dedication to bringing this new tech into the world. That was before Gsync modules were evening being sold. The reason for this is simple. Nvidia created the module and did all the foot work in designing this. Big name monitor companies just have to plug it in and Nvidia will help them develop the firmware for each monitor.

Now I think if AMD was to put actually contribute something more then just say "hey our drivers support VR, now can you make a monitor for the world" Then we would have seen monitor companies jumping on board with this. Nothing is free and believe it when I say mock my words it will cost a premium to get premium experience whether it's Gsync or if some type of VR monitor comes out.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)

Dude you need to read up. PCper just did a article about "freesync" AMD is requiring their latest cards for this tech. Please read up on it.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
All this Feesync vs G-sync talk is derailing this thread, why don't we just focus on the Swift as originally intended?

Has the $719 price been confirmed, just saw a couple more youtube videos about the Swift that were recently posted, man I want to believe the hype, never tried G-sync in my life but every single person who's tried swears by it, it must really be a game changer (pun totally intended)

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
All this Feesync vs G-sync talk is derailing this thread, why don't we just focus on the Swift as originally intended?

Has the $719 price been confirmed, just saw a couple more youtube videos about the Swift that were recently posted, man I want to believe the hype, never tried G-sync in my life but every single person who's tried swears by it, it must really be a game changer (pun totally intended)

I swear by Gsync and will probably swear by any other VR once it comes out.

It is game changer. Makes playing any game much more enjoyable. Like some people are total prudes when it comes to color correct IPS monitors I feel the same way about gaming,input lag and tearing.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Because DisplayPort is required for it to work and older cards don't have it.
AMD has made a statement already stating that freesync will require their latest lineup of GPU's.

Q: What AMD Radeon™ GPUs are compatible with Project FreeSync?
A:
The first discrete GPUs compatible with Project FreeSync are the AMD Radeon™ R9 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 graphics cards. Project FreeSync is also compatible with AMD APUs codenamed “Kabini,” “Temash,” “Beema,” and “Mullins.” All compatible products must be connected via DisplayPort™ to a display that supports DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...adaptive-sync-gets-added-to-displayport-spec/

Last edited:
Hm, that pendulum looks sharper on the left monitor. O is that just a camera issue?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I'm guessing it is a camera issue though, I mean it has to be. The resolution does look MILES better on the swift though which is how it should be.

If you look at the pillars and background there is ghosting on the VG278H. The PG278Q is just far-sighted :). Actually never mind. If you look at Pic2 the PG278Q does the same thing. If you look closely the pendulum on the PG278Q seams to have a ghosting trail 2-3 images. Double in Pic1 and three in Pic3. Easy to point out with the center circle indentations and the multiple layered reflections on the side edges.

Pic5 might explain everything. The reflection on the VG278H bezel appears to be a cellphone which is being used to take the photos.

I was more taken back by how aweful the VG278H CMI TN panel is. Just a reminder that gaming monitors are couple years behind incorporating the latest TN panels.

Asus clarified it in the comments.

ASUS Nordic 1 day ago
Sorry its 799 USD. BR Emanuel

Last edited:
Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
This monitor is on my buy list too ! Count me in !

I hope nvidia will not upgrade their G-Sync 1.2 or 2.0 after release of this monitor or im gonna be very angry !!!

This monitor need to last 4 years minimum for me !

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
If you look at the pillars and background there is ghosting on the VG278H. The PG278Q is just far-sighted :). Actually never mind. If you look at Pic2 the PG278Q does the same thing. If you look closely the pendulum on the PG278Q seams to have a ghosting trail 2-3 images. Double in Pic1 and three in Pic3. Easy to point out with the center circle indentations and the multiple layered reflections on the side edges.

Pic5 might explain everything. The reflection on the VG278H bezel appears to be a cellphone which is being used to take the photos.

I was more taken back by how aweful the VG278H CMI TN panel is. Just a reminder that gaming monitors are couple years behind incorporating the latest TN panels.

Asus clarified it in the comments.

Darn! I had a feeling it was still $799
I was hoping with Acer's 28" 4K 60hz Gsync monitor announcement that the Swift might have lowered it price.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
This monitor is on my buy list too ! Count me in !

I hope nvidia will not upgrade their G-Sync 1.2 or 2.0 after release of this monitor or im gonna be very angry !!!

This monitor need to last 4 years minimum for me !
I think we'll be golden pony boy. lol ya but seriously I think if anything there might be firmware updates at most. we'll see.

The DYI module and monitor I have work so damn good it's hard to imagine them improving this.

songfat

hi everyone, i have a question about G-Sync technology,
may i have two monitors one with G-Sync and the other without G-Sync, using G-Sync on the monitor through displayport and using fixed 60hz on the other monitor through hdmi ?(same graphics card)

hi everyone, i have a question about G-Sync technology,
may i have two monitors one with G-Sync and the other without G-Sync, using G-Sync on the monitor through displayport and using fixed 60hz on the other monitor through hdmi ?(same graphics card)

Maybe Hitman or someone with one can try it for you.

I would imagine the motion can get out of sync between the monitors during gaming.

Last edited:
System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Maybe Hitman or someone with one can try it for you.

I would imagine the motion can get out of sync between the monitors during gaming.
Yes Guys it works. You must be using Full screen mode for Gsync to work properly.

I use a little 75hz monitor on the side for battle screen and whatever games that have 2nd monitor funtions via web page. G-sync works the same with or without it. Also SLI is even smoother with Gsync.

No more adjusting "max preferred frame buffers" Gsync eliminates those buffers hence minimal input lag.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Looking for Pre-order site. Haven't found any yet. Keep your eye''s peeled people.

Definitely don't blink

Gibbo@OverclockersUK said:
Had a meeting with Asus yesterday, the price will be crazy and the stock none existent to begin with, we will put live for pre-orders soon. Be quick as the entire UK first shipment is expected to be no more than 20 units.

Starting to sound like a limited release to gauge demand.

Gibbo@OverclockersUK said:
I think at £999 which is stupidly overpriced they will sell out.

Ouch!!! that mark-up.

Couple interesting pictures here.

Last edited:
System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Definitely don't blink

Starting to sound like a limited release to gauge demand.

Ouch!!! that mark-up.

Couple interesting pictures here.

Yikes! Damn I'll have my finger on the trigger waiting for this then.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)