• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Three New Electronic Arts Games to Support AMD's Mantle

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
um it didn't cripple performance. it leg pieces of shocks bounce around with min fps drop, a ton more then was possible before it. Mantle degraded visual quality in BF4 last i seen which could be where performance came from. Only ran slow on AMD cards cause AMD was cheap and didn't license it for their cards, who's fault is that?

Oh dear, the ignorance of some people is infinite. How does inclusion of AMD Mantle cripples performance for you NVIDIA users? It doesn't. For you, it doesn't change anything, it's just that AMD users get a performance boost. You just stay at existing D3D level of performance that you already have and have always had. So, how is AMD doing anything to you? It's not affecting you AT ALL. It's just affecting AMD users, in a positive way that is. For you, like it doesn't even exist. See the difference?

Now with PhysX (and many other NVIDIA proprietary stuff), everyone who doesn't have NVIDIA in the PC will run the physics on CPU and we all know that NVIDIA is purposly limiting the efficiency of CPU PhysX to run like crap on non-NVIDIA hardware even though it could run super fast on all the rest of idling CPU cores. Been there and seen that countless times. And then they are showcasing PhysX and what it can do by artificially crippling CPU physics on PhysX exclussive effects so in the end they look like a joke on non-NVIDIA hardware, so much crippled, physics effects look far worse than anyting we've seen 10 years ago being run on CPU. I still can't forget glass shattering bullshit they were selling to us. Go and look for Red Faction 1 glass shattering. And don't forget it's a game from 2001. It was entirely running physics on CPU, yet it looked pretty much the same as PhysX simulated glass today, that requires gigaflops of compute power to calculate 3 friggin glass shards. When you know what it can be done on CPU and has been done a decade before PhysX even existed, don't try to sell me bullshit, because i'll just diss you if you do. And that's why many have ditched NVIDIA because of how they behave with all this.

Now to return back to why i rant about this, AMD doesn't have to artificially cripple anything for Mantle to artificially look better. They don't have to, because Mantle is better by design and they don't have to fake it to make it look better. That's what separates AMD's Mantle from all the crap NVIDIA is selling to everyone and one of the reasons why NVIDIA constantly leaves a very nasty aftertaste. I'm no fanboy, i had a huge share of NVIDIA cards and i loved them, every single one of them. But with attitude they are running business now, i just don't want their junk in my PC.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Seem to remember all the complants and bitching people had at nvidia over physx, but AMD doing same thing with Mantle and they get a free pass. Reality is Mantle is even worse cause in a system with an nvidia card mantle doesn't work period where as Physx would least work. Mantle is a CLOSED system, don't make the bogus claim that is open source cause you can't download it anywhere or access the API's

What visuals you can have with Mantle you can also have with DirectX11. So Mantle doesn't downgrade the visual experience for an Nvidia user. On the other hand PhysX's visuals are a "NO GO" on AMD hardware. Saying that you can at least run PhysX when not using Nvidia hardware, is a joke to tell you the truth. If you can't realize the difference just go to youtube and see ANY video where "PhysX ON and PhysX OFF" plays side by side.

Also AMD doesn't dictate what hardware to have in your system. It doesn't disable Mantle support if Nvidia hardware is detected.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Storage Plextor M5 Pro 512GB; WD Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) 2x HP ZR24w
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G403 HERO
Keyboard SteelSeries 7G
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit EN
BF4 is mantle, and is still horribly broken
Thief is mantle, and is a terrifyingly bad game
Lichdom: Battlemage is mantle, and so far has an equally poor reception in the Early Access scene

Following this
BFHardline(basically 4)
Dragon Age (most likely going to be as terrible as the latest DA was
Plants Vs Zombies... shooter... really?

Add some nuance to that post mate ;)
Thief was not that bad and the previews of Dragon Age: Inquisition are quite positive.

So, the game (gameplay?) in Thief was bad because of Mantle. That's a new one... PhysX for example actually makes gameplay worse for Radeon users because games with it run like a stuck turd in a toilette.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
It makes it worst for Radeon users and at the same time it makes it look much better for Nvidia users.
I prefer AMD as a company, but if I had to play again "Alice Madness Returns" or "Borderlands 2" the only choice would have been an Nvidia card. I would refuse to play it without PhysX at high.
That's why I have that GT620 with HD6850. I don't care if it can give me only 30fps at PhysX (not that HD6850 can do more anyway in graphics) but I do care about the PhysX effects because they change very much, in a few at least games, what you see on screen.

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
GameWorks is shaking in its boots, you show 'em Mantle!!! Quick, time for an NVIDIA PR guy to go on a rant about how unfair AMD is.

It makes it worst for Radeon users and at the same time it makes it look much better for Nvidia users.
I prefer AMD as a company, but if I had to play again "Alice Madness Returns" or "Borderlands 2" the only choice would have been an Nvidia card. I would refuse to play it without PhysX at high.
That's why I have that GT620 with HD6850. I don't care if it can give me only 30fps at PhysX (not that HD6850 can do more anyway in graphics) but I do care about the PhysX effects because they change very much, in a few at least games, what you see on screen.

All could be done using Havok physics on CPU. Only things excluded are liquid simulations. But then again, if you've ever played Hydrophobia, you'd be amazed what they've done with water using nothing but CPU. I've never seen such truly dynamic liquid simulation anywhere. Not even with PhysX. With PhysX they just showed few fancy effects here and there, all water in Hydrophobia is based on that simulation. It's not just fancy effect here and there, entire game is based on the water volumetric physics. And even if it's partially faked, it still looks jaw dropping. And can be run on any CPU and graphic card.

trustedsource

I fail to understand why Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare would need mantle support. Unless it's to pad your list of games supporting it, AMD should be courting developers that push the gfx envelope.
Frostbite 3 has the Mantle back-end now, so it is very easy to support that in any game. That's all.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
Just saying, because everyone complaining over AMD Mantle have NVIDIA card in the specs... You'll still have your D3D mode like it has always been there.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Oh dear, the ignorance of some people is infinite. How does inclusion of AMD Mantle cripples performance for you NVIDIA users? It doesn't. For you, it doesn't change anything, it's just that AMD users get a performance boost. You just stay at existing D3D level of performance that you already have and have always had. So, how is AMD doing anything to you? It's not affecting you AT ALL. It's just affecting AMD users, in a positive way that is. For you, like it doesn't even exist. See the difference?

Now with PhysX (and many other NVIDIA proprietary stuff), everyone who doesn't have NVIDIA in the PC will run the physics on CPU and we all know that NVIDIA is purposly limiting the efficiency of CPU PhysX to run like crap on non-NVIDIA hardware even though it could run super fast on all the rest of idling CPU cores. Been there and seen that countless times. And then they are showcasing PhysX and what it can do by artificially crippling CPU physics on PhysX exclussive effects so in the end they look like a joke on non-NVIDIA hardware, so much crippled, physics effects look far worse than anyting we've seen 10 years ago being run on CPU. I still can't forget glass shattering bullshit they were selling to us. Go and look for Red Faction 1 glass shattering. And don't forget it's a game from 2001. It was entirely running physics on CPU, yet it looked pretty much the same as PhysX simulated glass today, that requires gigaflops of compute power to calculate 3 friggin glass shards. When you know what it can be done on CPU and has been done a decade before PhysX even existed, don't try to sell me bullshit, because i'll just diss you if you do. And that's why many have ditched NVIDIA because of how they behave with all this.

Now to return back to why i rant about this, AMD doesn't have to artificially cripple anything for Mantle to artificially look better. They don't have to, because Mantle is better by design and they don't have to fake it to make it look better. That's what separates AMD's Mantle from all the crap NVIDIA is selling to everyone and one of the reasons why NVIDIA constantly leaves a very nasty aftertaste. I'm no fanboy, i had a huge share of NVIDIA cards and i loved them, every single one of them. But with attitude they are running business now, i just don't want their junk in my PC.
You said everything on my mind when talking about Mantle, I 100% agree with you. That is the main reason I have refused to do my normal setup's anymore with an Nvidia GPU (Among other reasons) because I am really getting sick of things designed to hamper performance for other users instead of just benefiting your users or the majority of gamer's playing. I currently run a Hybrid PhysX system from time to time if a game requires physX to be remotely playable (Like Borderlands 2).

Mantle introduced lower level help for GPU's on the AMD side but it does not harm your experience when using an Nvidia GPU. So if anything its just a bonus and nothing more...I am all for tons of AAA games supporting Mantle.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
BF4 is mantle, and is still horribly broken
Thief is mantle, and is a terrifyingly bad game
Lichdom: Battlemage is mantle, and so far has an equally poor reception in the Early Access scene

Following this
BFHardline(basically 4)
Dragon Age (most likely going to be as terrible as the latest DA was
Plants Vs Zombies... shooter... really?

Eh? You lost all credibility in my eyes as soon as you stated DA2 was terrible. Sure, the changes in relation to the first altered it, but in no way, shape, or form was it a bad game. Perhaps an evolution in the wrong direction, but overall not terrible.

On topic, regardless of what people think of AMD, Mantle or EA. This is good for AMD. They need all of the sway that they can get on the market to turn some profit.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Eh? You lost all credibility in my eyes as soon as you stated DA2 was terrible. Sure, the changes in relation to the first altered it, but in no way, shape, or form was it a bad game. Perhaps an evolution in the wrong direction, but overall not terrible.

On topic, regardless of what people think of AMD, Mantle or EA. This is good for AMD. They need all of the sway that they can get on the market to turn some profit.

I meant origins, unless you liked that more than the original DA ;)

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
AMD is going promo....not good.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

I cant remember many of the differences, but I remember thoroughly enjoying both, and am very excited about the 3rd. I just hope that they dont dumb the game down. The series has provided some of the most challenging boss fights that I have ever played which required me to think of every available resource and tactic at my disposal. Another year or two, and I might even go back and replay them; I hardly ever do that; STALKER being the only exception thus far.

System Name Red Babe
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximous IV
Cooling Custom Water Cooling
Memory 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 679 DCII
Storage 1TB Black 1TB Green 120GB GT SSD
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q
Case Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z
Power Supply Enermax MODU87+ 900W
Software Ubuntu + Windows 7
AMD said that Mantle is going to replace OpenGL . Will it?
AMD says that is going to be open Source , we are waiting and hoping.
For now the AMD's OpenGL is poor , You can't use Mantle on non-Windows systems, you are bound to OpenGL.
For me the main use of Mantle is on Linux Systems , AMD is way back in OpenGL versus nVidia.
So if they are going to support Mantle on Linux it will be something amazing, a API for all platform's.

But wait isn't that OpenGL? But AMD claims that Mantle is Faster than OpenGL? is it?
It is faster in comparison with AMD's OpenGL . But we don't know if it's faster vs nVidia OpenGL.

In conclusion, Mantle and openGL are great , but what is greater? we don't know theoretically the should have the same performance.

One thing is sure we need a Graphics API that will be on all platforms and can cut through the driver overhead. Why should games run with DirectX?