• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NEC Display Solutions Introduces 24-Inch UHD Display

NEC Display Solutions of America, a leading provider of commercial LCD display and projector solutions, announced today the MultiSync EA244UHD display, the company's first high-resolution 4K desktop display and the latest addition to its premium business desktop series.

The 24-inch LED-backlit display delivers a 3840 x 2160 resolution, four times the typical full HD desktop space, meaning more information can be on-screen at once. The EA244UHD also includes a wide color gamut, more than 1.07-billion displayable colors and compatibility with SpectraViewII calibration software. Corporate environments and other industries will benefit from the display's industry-leading low power consumption and fewer hazardous materials.

Designed to enhance work performance, this widescreen model features an AH-IPS panel with great viewing from any angle, touch-sensitive menu controls and complete ergonomic adjustability to fit any workspace. The LED backlighting of the EA244UHD display allows for a slimmer profile, lighter weight and increased power savings relative to 24-inch displays of the past.

"This MultiSync EA Series display gives enterprise customers a stunning 4K monitor that offers a huge desktop to improve productivity," said Art Marshall, Product Manager of Professional and Medical Displays at NEC Display Solutions. "The EA244UHD also is a testament to NEC Display Solutions' long-term commitment to environmentally friendly displays."

Among its other benefits, the display features ControlSync technology, which lets users control the settings for up to six MultiSync EA Series displays. Users are able to adjust power, brightness, volume and many other settings of the multi-monitor setup in unison through the master monitor.

The EA244UHD also offers smart sensing technology, which automatically detects work conditions to determine the proper display brightness with ambient light and human sensors. Moreover, it comes with a comprehensive input panel, including HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI-D, to connect users to the latest peripherals and protect their technology investments.

The MultiSync EA244UHD display includes the following features:
  • 23.8-inch, 16:9 IPS panel with LED backlighting
  • 350cd/m2 brightness
  • 99.3 percent coverage of Adobe RGB and 1.07-billion displayable colors
  • 3840 x 2160 ultra-HD resolution
  • 15,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (1000:1 typical)
  • Ergonomic adjustable stand with 130 mm height-adjust, tilt, swivel and pivot
  • 2 DisplayPort, 2 HDMI, and 2 DVI-D inputs
  • 6-ms response time
  • Integrated 3-port powered USB 3.0 hub (1 up/3 down)
  • Integrated speakers (1W x 2) and headphone jack
  • ControlSync for multi-screen setups
  • Smart sensing technology (ambient light and human sensors)
  • ECO Mode, carbon footprint meter and cost meter
  • ENERGY STAR 6.0, TCO 6.0 and TCO Edge 1.2 compliant

The MultiSync EA244UHD display ships with a 3-year limited parts and labor warranty, and will be available in June 2014 at an estimated street price of $1,349. The monitor also comes with a set-up manual, DisplayPort, power, USB 3.0 and ControlSync cables.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
A 24 inch 4K desktop monitor so soon? Wow... that sweet, sweet pixel density. The price is kinda high but I think that's more due to the color reproduction for professional usage and less due to being such a compact 4K screen. This gets me excited though a bit conflicted. I've longed for something such as this, but I have a hard time justifying the high price premium since I only do graphics manipulation non-professionally. 6 ms seems to be pretty good for an IPS display though.

System Name My Future Workstation Thoughts... (how long to wait before USB 3.1 on motherboards??)
Processor 4th Generation Intel i5 or i7.
Motherboard w/Intel Z97 chipset (displayport, not OC!). Considering: ASUS Z97 PRO (Wi-Fi ac) or ASUS Z97I Plus.
Cooling PWM fans, mobo-controlled (I'm not an overclocker and the days of Intel Prescott are over).
Memory Prefer 32 GB, but will probably settle for 16 GB to get smaller ITX system.
Video Card(s) Intel graphics (on mobo/CPU).
Storage 126 GB m.2 OS/Program/Caching drive, 1 TB x2 2.5" mechanical data drives in a RAID configuration.
Display(s) Existing: Acer 24" LCD 1920x1200. New: More vertical pixels, LED, IPS, and maybe 3 of them!
Case Existing for ATX: Chenbro entry-level server case. For ITX build: Xigmatek Nebula, or build my own.
Audio Device(s) On board. Additionally, maybe this: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD, USB Audiophile Sound Card.
Power Supply Existing Enermax Modu 82+, 525w (?) for ATX build. Existing or micro ATX PS for ITX build.
Software Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro (Or Ultimate, if I decide I need Bitlocker). Classic Shell.
Benchmark Scores Fast enough! Currently researching my next personal workstation build: ATX or ITX? TBD!
"The 24-inch LED-backlit display delivers a 3840 x 2160 resolution, four times the typical full HD desktop space, meaning more information can be on-screen at once."

While I'm sure that text will look better on a monitor with such a resolution, at 1920x1200 (my current LCD monitor's resolution) text is already as small as I want it to be. That is, the information density on my screen is at the limit of what is comfortable for me to view. To utilize the NEC's high resolution, I would need that in a larger monitor. I don't want to use my desktop monitor at a laptop distance! I think the way to go is to have multiple less expensive monitors, rather than a larger very expensive monitor, and the multi-monitor setup would give much more viewable information anyway. 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor may be what I seek as far as information density, but then the text would still be some crappy 96-ish DPI. While nice looking text is highly desirable to me, I can deal with the level of quality I have now, and be more productive with a larger screen at the same DPI. More vertical pixels please (and 16:10 please)!

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
"The 24-inch LED-backlit display delivers a 3840 x 2160 resolution, four times the typical full HD desktop space, meaning more information can be on-screen at once."

While I'm sure that text will look better on a monitor with such a resolution, at 1920x1200 (my current LCD monitor's resolution) text is already as small as I want it to be. That is, the information density on my screen is at the limit of what is comfortable for me to view. To utilize the NEC's high resolution, I would need that in a larger monitor. I don't want to use my desktop monitor at a laptop distance! I think the way to go is to have multiple less expensive monitors, rather than a larger very expensive monitor, and the multi-monitor setup would give much more viewable information anyway. 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor may be what I seek as far as information density, but then the text would still be some crappy 96-ish DPI. While nice looking text is highly desirable to me, I can deal with the level of quality I have now, and be more productive with a larger screen at the same DPI. More vertical pixels please (and 16:10 please)!
Relax. You can always set the DPI text size to 200% and have a Windows pr0n on your desktop. ;) :))

System Name My Future Workstation Thoughts... (how long to wait before USB 3.1 on motherboards??)
Motherboard w/Intel Z97 chipset (displayport, not OC!). Considering: ASUS Z97 PRO (Wi-Fi ac) or ASUS Z97I Plus.
Cooling PWM fans, mobo-controlled (I'm not an overclocker and the days of Intel Prescott are over).
Memory Prefer 32 GB, but will probably settle for 16 GB to get smaller ITX system.
Storage 126 GB m.2 OS/Program/Caching drive, 1 TB x2 2.5" mechanical data drives in a RAID configuration.
Display(s) Existing: Acer 24" LCD 1920x1200. New: More vertical pixels, LED, IPS, and maybe 3 of them!
Case Existing for ATX: Chenbro entry-level server case. For ITX build: Xigmatek Nebula, or build my own.
Audio Device(s) On board. Additionally, maybe this: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD, USB Audiophile Sound Card.
Power Supply Existing Enermax Modu 82+, 525w (?) for ATX build. Existing or micro ATX PS for ITX build.
Software Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro (Or Ultimate, if I decide I need Bitlocker). Classic Shell.
Benchmark Scores Fast enough! Currently researching my next personal workstation build: ATX or ITX? TBD!
Relax. You can always set the DPI text size to 200% and have a Windows pr0n on your desktop. ;) :))

Increasing the size of fonts to the same size that I have now with 1920x1200 "only" gets me sharper text and not more information on a 24" screen. I can't afford such a luxurious screen that doesn't make me any bit more productive. If I get another screen like my current one, I'll have double the information in front of me to view and it will only cost me about $300. I could buy FOUR monitors for the price of the luxurious NEC above. Even if I had excess funds, I'm too practical to pop for the NEC (and I'd still need more than one, so double-whammy to the wallet, or TRIPLE even!).

I calculated the PPI of a 30" screen at 3840x2160 and it turns out to be 147 PPI. The same resolution on a 24" screen gives 196 PPI. I think I read somewhere that between 200 and 300 PPI, the need for anti-aliasing, sub-pixel rendering and such gyrations become unnecessary. If so, then in that range is the resolution I will be elated with (when it is affordable).

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
More vertical pixels please (and 16:10 please)!
Definitely agree with that. CRTs topped out at 2048x1536. That's 1536 vertical pixels. Look how long it took us to hit past that with 1600 vertical pixels.

I'm also partial to the 16:10 aspect ratio. They're very hard to find nowadays outside of the professional sector and those cost a pretty penny (the 22 inch 1200p Ezio SX2262W is a good example). There are 2560x1600 monitors but they start at 30 inches and I don't have as the physical space to accommodate such. It's one of the reasons why I'm not looking into a multiple monitor setup. I'd prefer a 16:10 version of this as well, but it's still small enough (smaller still would be better, say 17 to 20 inches) and it exceeds 1536 vertical pixels so I can feel like I'm finally getting a resolution better than what I had in 2002.

I calculated the PPI of a 30" screen at 3840x2160 and it turns out to be 147 PPI. The same resolution on a 24" screen gives 196 PPI. I think I read somewhere that between 200 and 300 PPI, the need for anti-aliasing, sub-pixel rendering and such gyrations become unnecessary. If so, then in that range is the resolution I will be elated with (when it is affordable).
I got 185 PPI from that (SQRT(3840²+2160²)/23.8). Either way, it's close to the low end of 200 PPI. And for people whose eyes have severely rotted, it's probably enough. For everyone else, it's a very promising step.

Interesting note: At 4K resolution, 22 inches will be 200 PPI while 15 inches will be 293 PPI.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye

You could also try increasing your DM/WM/whatever's render DPI.

I'm also partial to the 16:10 aspect ratio. They're very hard to find nowadays...

Dell 1920x1200 24"($309 on sale): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Pivots as well. It seems that 1920x1200 is making something of a come back. I bought my Acer 1920x1200 when they were being price reduced because 1080p was becoming all the rage. I paid around $300 back then, so it's somewhat interesting to see that the Dell in the link above is around that price now. I really want 1600 vertical pixels though, so:

Dell 2560x1600 30" ($1200 on sale): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
Nixeus 2560x1600 30" ($605): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHDHE0W/?tag=tec06d-20

I got 185 PPI from that (SQRT(3840²+2160²)/23.8).

I must have used something like 22.8, for about an inch off gives close to the wrong number I calculated.