• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

switch experience with amd/nvidia/intel

System Name butcher
Processor Amd 1090t OC @ 3.91ghz
Motherboard Asusu psomethingsomething delux
Cooling Thermalright mux 120 black
Memory 16 gig Corsiar xms3
Video Card(s) Crossfire Saphire hd 6950 unlocked and OC 925MH
Storage 2 X Western 500 Gig raid to 1Tb, 2X 1 Gig Western raid to 2 Tb
Display(s) Acer Led
Case old case cut up for fan holes
Audio Device(s) soundblaster
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 64 bit
Hello all

I've been an avid AMD fan for years starting with the Athlon 2400+ with a 9550 to my now 1090t with crossfired 6950 unlocked and overclocked.
I am looking to upgrade in the fall 2014 or early winter 2015.
What I am looking for is people that have made the switch and their experiences.
To/from AMD/Nvidia/Intel for better or worse what were you happy with.
I don't care about drivers or fan boys please no fan boys.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
No difference to me.

System Name AMD Powered
Processor 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Forumla Z
Cooling FX CLC
Memory AMD 2133mhz 16gb (2x8gb)
Video Card(s) PowerColor R9 290X
Storage WD Blue 1TB
Case Fractal Design Midi Arc 2
Power Supply XFX 1050w
Hello Breaz I can give you some of my personal experience as well as a lot of experience I have from all my clients being a computer build consultant over the last 2 years.
Right up front I'll admit and wont argue that Intel has a more powerful CPU when it comes to single core productivity, that isn't up for debate imo.

In my house currently I have both AMD and Intel along with both AMD and Nvidia graphics cards available for testing.
The AMD system is based on the 8350 and I've used graphics cards ranging from GTX 660 ti single and in SLI(sold), as well as GTX 670 single and in sli(sitting on shelf). I've also used 7950, 7970, 280(currently using) and 290x(currently using) on this system.
The Intel system is a i5 3570k and I've tested the 4770k as well all with the same above cards.

Just to give an idea of what I do and how I use my systems.
I do live shows on twitch, I render some videos for youtube and I game.

Last year I had a 2nd i5 intel system next to the 8350 and doing what I do with the systems I saw no difference in performance with comparing game play but while streaming and gaming and doing video rendering the 8350 showed significant noticeable advantages. Even comparing the 8350 with the 4770k doing the rendering and live streaming I couldn't see any significant advantage making me want to keep either intel system so I sold them and kept the 8350. Mind you I paid out of pocket for all the CPU's and Motherboards mentioned.
Now with the new gen intel chips provide a small % performance increase over the last gen chips which may or may not equate to a noticeable performance gain over the 8350 but it does make a difference in the wallet which is subjective on if its worth that small performance gain.

I know you mentioned you don't care about drivers but when you've experienced them on the level I have from personal to 100's of clients reporting problems you tend to have that weigh in on decisions to choose products. So take it with a grain of salt but here is what I've experienced over the last two years with drivers:

I can tell you that out of all the 100s of clients I have whom use Nvidia, including some decent sized Youtube "Friends" I've had countless daily reports of drivers crashing, instability complaints over the last year.
My personal experience is that since just January I'd have at least 3-5 driver crashes daily while using Nvidia drivers.

Now comparing that to my clients whom use AMD graphics cards. The only driver issues I've had them complain about is with some crossfire setups. almost all other driver complaints I've had from clients ended up not being driver related.
My personal experience with using the variety of AMD graphics cards I have on hand is, not a single driver crash what so ever.

The current Gen Intel chip is the last chip for its current socket before intel changes sockets yet again. As with AMD the FX line seems to be what is going to stick around for a bit longer until we find out what AMD might be working on behind the scenes. If you look around the interwebs we've seen hints about AMD X86 and possible new hardware coming in 2015/2016 but we'll have to wait and see how that all turns out.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps a little.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Haven't had problems with AMD Intel Nvidia or Radeon. Fast is fast.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
System Name Phantom - Video Editing with some Gaming on the side
Processor Intel i7-4790k
Motherboard Gigabye Z97X Gaming 3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) XFX Black Edition Double D R9 290
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)
Power Supply EVGA G2 850W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Hello Breaz I can give you some of my personal experience as well as a lot of experience I have from all my clients being a computer build consultant over the last 2 years.
Right up front I'll admit and wont argue that Intel has a more powerful CPU when it comes to single core productivity, that isn't up for debate imo.

In my house currently I have both AMD and Intel along with both AMD and Nvidia graphics cards available for testing.
The AMD system is based on the 8350 and I've used graphics cards ranging from GTX 660 ti single and in SLI(sold), as well as GTX 670 single and in sli(sitting on shelf). I've also used 7950, 7970, 280(currently using) and 290x(currently using) on this system.
The Intel system is a i5 3570k and I've tested the 4770k as well all with the same above cards.

Just to give an idea of what I do and how I use my systems.
I do live shows on twitch, I render some videos for youtube and I game.

Last year I had a 2nd i5 intel system next to the 8350 and doing what I do with the systems I saw no difference in performance with comparing game play but while streaming and gaming and doing video rendering the 8350 showed significant noticeable advantages. Even comparing the 8350 with the 4770k doing the rendering and live streaming I couldn't see any significant advantage making me want to keep either intel system so I sold them and kept the 8350. Mind you I paid out of pocket for all the CPU's and Motherboards mentioned.
Now with the new gen intel chips provide a small % performance increase over the last gen chips which may or may not equate to a noticeable performance gain over the 8350 but it does make a difference in the wallet which is subjective on if its worth that small performance gain.

I know you mentioned you don't care about drivers but when you've experienced them on the level I have from personal to 100's of clients reporting problems you tend to have that weigh in on decisions to choose products. So take it with a grain of salt but here is what I've experienced over the last two years with drivers:

I can tell you that out of all the 100s of clients I have whom use Nvidia, including some decent sized Youtube "Friends" I've had countless daily reports of drivers crashing, instability complaints over the last year.
My personal experience is that since just January I'd have at least 3-5 driver crashes daily while using Nvidia drivers.

Now comparing that to my clients whom use AMD graphics cards. The only driver issues I've had them complain about is with some crossfire setups. almost all other driver complaints I've had from clients ended up not being driver related.
My personal experience with using the variety of AMD graphics cards I have on hand is, not a single driver crash what so ever.

The current Gen Intel chip is the last chip for its current socket before intel changes sockets yet again. As with AMD the FX line seems to be what is going to stick around for a bit longer until we find out what AMD might be working on behind the scenes. If you look around the interwebs we've seen hints about AMD X86 and possible new hardware coming in 2015/2016 but we'll have to wait and see how that all turns out.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps a little.

+1 to IamApropos

Think about the real world and how much you will notice what you are paying for vs. a cheaper alternative. That applies to Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Walmart, AND Target!