• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's TIM is still worse than affordable TIM

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I have the solution, why don't Intel just Solder the heatsink. :eek:

I mean on the unlocked models at least, they should have stuck with the Soldered Heatsink, if they wanted to cut costs on the lower models then put the cheap TIM on locked variants since its enough for those but not enough for the CPU's getting clocked up higher. This is why I like the E series from Intel better all around, I would have bough a 4820k long before I would buy a 3770k or 4770k.

I hope the new Haswell-E's keep to the soldered heatsink, otherwise:banghead:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I have the solution, why don't Intel just Solder the heatsink. :eek:

Intel rep said it was because the top layer of the CPU isn't compatible.

Personally, I think the TIM is like it is on purpose, and I have ZERO problems with it. Can you get better? Yep. DO you NEED it? Nope.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Intel rep said it was because the top layer of the CPU isn't compatible.

Personally, I think the TIM is like it is on purpose, and I have ZERO problems with it. Can you get better? Yep. DO you NEED it? Nope.
Well, being able to keep the chip cooler allows for better overclocks in the end and can prolong the life of a CPU which to me if i'm paying 500+ bucks on a chip it better be top notch.

I mean we all saw Devils Canyon which in reality did not clock better and just had better clocking on air cooling in the end and lower temps.

Are you saying Haswell-E is not going to have a soldered heatsink?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, being able to keep the chip cooler allows for better overclocks in the end and can prolong the life of a CPU which to me if i'm paying 500+ bucks on a chip it better be top notch.

I mean we all saw Devils Canyon which in reality did not clock better and just had better clocking on air cooling in the end and lower temps.

Are you saying Haswell-E is not going to have a soldered heatsink?
Nah, I'm saying that the majority of these CPUs won't even be OC'd. That's not how they get sold, as admitted by Intel. Enthusiasts that OC are too small of a group for them to be catered to directly in this way.

Haswell-E is a different segment, and is under higher load more consistently, so need different treatment.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Nah, I'm saying that the majority of these CPUs won't even be OC'd. That's not how they get sold, as admitted by Intel. Enthusiasts that OC are too small of a group for them to be catered to directly in this way.
Well I understand that but to me the K variants should at least have the better setup for overclocking since they are unlocked. I mean if they want to on non-k variant chips then that is all fine and dandy just keep the unlocked ones ready to get rid of heat is what I think.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well I understand that but to me the K variants should at least have the better setup for overclocking since they are unlocked. I mean if they want to on non-k variant chips then that is all fine and dandy just keep the unlocked ones ready to get rid of heat is what I think.
That's what the fancy CPU PCB is for.

It's not like you cannot de-lid...

Also, even leaving lid on.. temps don't kill chips. Voltage does. I am firmly of the opinion that the TIM used is in part to counteract that.. if temps are too low, people will push farther, and more chips will die.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
That's what the fancy CPU PCB is for.

It's not like you cannot de-lid...
Point taken

Also, even leaving lid on.. temps don't kill chips. Voltage does. I am firmly of the opinion that the TIM used is in part to counteract that.. if temps are too low, people will push farther, and more chips will die.
That is true, I can see what you mean but temps do cause over time deterioration or in the case of ancient K6 processor's start fires :p (sarcastic joke). Voltage does burn up chips more than heat now a days because the chips are more likely to protect themselves in overheating situations but not so much in over-volting situations.

I just think that if you pay the money for that beautiful chip that is unlocked, it should come in the finest linen with the finest TIM in the finest carrying case for the finest PC :p (Joke).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I just think that if you pay the money for that beautiful chip that is unlocked, it should come in the finest linen with the finest TIM in the finest carrying case for the finest PC (Joke).

Joking aside, I get what you are saying. But back in the day unlocked chips were super expensive. The Extreme Editions were the only unlocked chips you could get, and they were all over $1000, some were $1500. And I'm talking back in the 90's. We all need to face it, the K processors are only here to keep the overclocking crowd happy. They are cheap. They are for the people that used to FSB overclock. We aren't paying a lot of money for them. $350 is not going to get you "leather seats" if you get what I mean.

I'm just glad they are actually listening to us and actually used a better TIM for the K parts and a better PCB. At least people paying the ~$30 more for the K part isn't just getting you a part that can be overclocked, it is getting you better TIM and a better PCB. Though the non-K parts don't need any of that.

I just wish they would allow strap changing on the non-k parts. Maybe I'm way off base, but IMO the strap changing option is pretty useless on K parts, but it's potentiality would really be used on non-K parts.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Joking aside, I get what you are saying. But back in the day unlocked chips were super expensive. The Extreme Editions were the only unlocked chips you could get, and they were all over $1000, some were $1500. And I'm talking back in the 90's. We all need to face it, the K processors are only here to keep the overclocking crowd happy. They are cheap. They are for the people that used to FSB overclock. We aren't paying a lot of money for them. $350 is not going to get you "leather seats" if you get what I mean.

I'm just glad they are actually listening to us and actually used a better TIM for the K parts and a better PCB. At least people paying the ~$30 more for the K part isn't just getting you a part that can be overclocked, it is getting you better TIM and a better PCB. Though the non-K parts don't need any of that.

I just wish they would allow strap changing on the non-k parts. Maybe I'm way off base, but IMO the strap changing option is pretty useless on K parts, but it's potentiality would really be used on non-K parts.

True, I agree with you but I keep thinking about the Sandy Bridge chips and how great they were all around. As long as the E series stays soldered I at least will be happy but I just felt the attempt to save money with a cheaper method on a chip that is already at a premium price. Back in the day overclocking was also so much more difficult compared to today so I feel encouraging it on their premium products is better than hindering the progress to those who look forward to it.

Yea, its a bit of an oddity as to why they don't put strap changing on the non-unlocked parts. That is where people I feel would want it, but I guess they want the extra 20 bucks?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
True, I agree with you but I keep thinking about the Sandy Bridge chips and how great they were all around. As long as the E series stays soldered I at least will be happy but I just felt the attempt to save money with a cheaper method on a chip that is already at a premium price. Back in the day overclocking was also so much more difficult compared to today so I feel encouraging it on their premium products is better than hindering the progress to those who look forward to it.

Yea, its a bit of an oddity as to why they don't put strap changing on the non-unlocked parts. That is where people I feel would want it, but I guess they want the extra 20 bucks?

It wasn't really the solder that made SandyBridge great. SandyBridge had a lot going for it that kind of just made it great, the planets just kind of aligned so to speak. It had a super small GPU compared to IvyBridge(IvyBridge's GPU was double the size in relative die area), and the dual-gate transistor design and 32nm design put it in the sweet spot for thermal density. The solder definitely helped, but it didn't make SandyBridge what it was alone.