• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G-Sync is Dead. VESA Adds Adaptive-Sync to DisplayPort Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
I've never read so many misunderstood statements about a tech.

That's assuming you think DP isn't backwards compatible?

:confused:

DisplayPort will be but you wont get the benefits of the extra bandwith. Nvidia will have to change the calls going thru AUX to DP 1.2a or newer to free up the AUX. So they have to change it. Better sooner then later. Unless you expect all future G-Sync monitors to be DP 1.2 when every other monitor will be DP 1.2a or DP 1.3. How are they going to drive a 4k monitor pass 60hz if they stick to DP 1.2. They either have to adapt or keep using the AUX out of stubbornness. They might run into trouble with that. It will become a selling point between monitor vendors and tech. Marketing will be as the "Standard".

Nvidia announced G-Sync on Oct 18 2013, 9 months ago (1 day shy of 10 months). No monitors yet. Maybe in a few days.

Vesa Adapative Sync was announced May 12 2014. Only 2 months ago. They have 7 months of delay wiggle room to be on par.

Last edited:
System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
w
:confused:

DisplayPort will be but you wont get the benefits of the extra bandwith. Nvidia will have to change the calls going thru AUX to DP 1.2a or newer to free up the AUX. So they have to change it. Better sooner then later. Unless you expect all future G-Sync monitors to be DP 1.2 when every other monitor will be DP 1.2a or DP 1.3. How are they going to drive a 4k monitor pass 60hz if they stick to DP 1.2. They either have to adapt or keep using the AUX out of stubbornness. They might run into trouble with that. It will become a selling point between monitor vendors and tech. Marketing will be as the "Standard".

Nvidia announced G-Sync on Oct 18 2013, 9 months ago (1 day shy of 10 months). No monitors yet. Maybe in a few days.

Vesa Adapative Sync was announced May 12 2014. Only 2 months ago. They have 7 months of delay wiggle room to be on par.

How would a user benefit from extra bandwidth at a fixed resolution?

the response time is fixed? I can only see that mattering when resolution goes up and when the GPU can support that.

I'm not following you there? :toast:

w

How would a user benefit from extra bandwidth at a fixed resolution?

the response time is fixed? I can only see that mattering when resolution goes up and when the GPU can support that.

I'm not following you there? :toast:

It wouldn't

Its not so much as bandwidth but rather in the matter they are using the AUX channel to communicate. They can stick with their current menthod loose the audio pass-through that DisplayPort provides for those who need it and compatibility issues with MSTs. That's up to them.

AMD got VESA to standardize their spec in DP 1.2a and going forward so those issues will likely not be present.

System Name First Gaming PC
Processor AMD APU Kaveri A10-7850k
Motherboard MSI A88XM-E45
Cooling Stock Cooler
Memory Kingston HyperX 8 GB 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Intergrated with CPU
Storage Kingston Hyperx 3k 120 GB(OS) + 1 TB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 20EN33V 1920 x 1080
Case Infinity Rave
Audio Device(s) Intergrated Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 500w
Software Windows 8.1 64-bit
I dont really know about this Gsync or Free sync since i connect my CPU to monitor via HDMI and never looked back

Sorry if my posting is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.