• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reports 2014 Second Quarter Results

Yes I am. I previously worked in the meat processing (industrial slaughterhouses and international shipping) and for the Ministry of Justice at various times in my working life - amongst other vocations such as writing features for tech sites. Do people where you come from stay in the same career from the day they leave school to the day they retire ? Or are they like you and class trolling tech forums as an occupation? :laugh:

Yes, If your successful at what you do. You don't get fired.

The fact that you can't even find the short form overview of the state's tax incentive legislation - let alone the full statute pdf leads me to believe this is way, way, way above your acumen level so don't get your hopes up. :rolleyes: The fact that you don't even know the difference between owning shares and being owned should be more than a subtle hint that you need to start somewhere around the pre-high school economics level. Look on the bright side, at least you got corrected on your lack of financial understanding by someone with a backround in finance rather than someone who just cooks :rockout:

Wow, you sure showed me. :rolleyes:

I did find this though.

eWEEK - AMD's New Atlanta Data Center Showcases Chip Maker's Technology

eWEEK said:
SUWANEE, Ga.—Advanced Micro Devices is undergoing an aggressive data center consolidation project that is aimed at reducing the number of facilities the chip maker runs from 18 worldwide to two—one in Malaysia and the other here, in suburban Atlanta. The project began in 2012, with the goal of consolidating all the data centers in North America—located in such cities as Austin, Texas; Sunnyvale, Calif.; and Ontario, Canada—into the 153,000-square-foot Georgia facility, which used to be a trucking and storage site, according to AMD executives. They are hoping to have all those sites consolidated into the Georgia data center by mid-2015. AMD already has moved its Austin operations into the new facility, completing that part of the project in September 2013. With the move, the company was able to sell the Austin campus, take advantage of lower-cost power and tax breaks in Georgia, and save about $8.5 million annually. AMD executives said the goal is not only to save money and create a more modern and efficient data center, but also to showcase for partners and customers what can be done with AMD technology, which is used throughout the data center.

I'll let you get back to you usual grandiose AMD thread trolling or should I say culinary trolling now.:roll:

None trolling related.. PC Perspective also picked up on the tid bits I posted above about the conference call.

PC Perspective - AMD Posts Financial Results for Q2 2014

PCPerspective said:
Further, the company is currently sourcing 50% of its wafers from Global Foundries.
“Our transformation strategy is on track and we expect to deliver full year non-GAAP profitability and year-over-year revenue growth. We continue to strengthen our business model and shape AMD into a more agile company offering differentiated solutions for a diverse set of markets.”
-AMD CEO Rory Reed
AMD expects to see third quarter revenue increase by 2% (plus or minus 3%). Following next quarter, AMD will begin production of its Seattle ARM processors. Perhaps even more interesting will be 2016 when AMD is slated to introduce new x86 and GCN processors on a 20nm process.

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
How sad. The sum total of your working career is hoping you don't get told to f__k off.
Personally, and most of the people I know, go where challenge lies. Life should be about experience, not existence. Still, if your fondest wish is staying in the same job for forty years I hope it makes you happy.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Come on guys, think we are getting a little bit too person. Went from a healthy debate to something else now.

I strongly disagree.

Here in the UK we just came out of a big recession. Lots of companies went belly up and had to let go a bulk of good workers to stay afloat.

In America, Detroit was a big car manufacturing industry. The economy went belly up, lots of skilled workers went unemployed.

Microsoft is about to trim 18,000 skilled workers, probably software engineers.

Being good doesn't always save you from being fired.

Last edited:
Come on guys, think we are getting a little bit too person. Went from a healthy debate to something else now.

I strongly disagree.

Here in the UK we just came out of a big recession. Lots of companies went belly up and had to let go a bulk of good workers to stay afloat.

In America, Detroit was a big car manufacturing industry. The economy went belly up, lots of skilled workers went unemployed.

Your correct there other external circumstances.

You can also love something and be aweful at it or just not good enough. The love or passion for that wont pay your bills.

The general point I was making what ever you choose to do, be good at it. That could be doing one thing you like and falling out of liking it and picking something else up. Which rings even more true when tough times come through like you pointed out. Where your taken a different avenue in life and find yourself in or try'n to get a job where people are lining up for it or waiting for an opening.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

I strongly disagree.

We are going way off topic here but I figured I would chime in.....

Skilled workers and Detroit shouldn't be in the same sentence. The reason they went belly up is because they had highly unskilled workers for the pay rate they were receiving thanks to unions.

Also I have been in the same industry for closing in on 20 years now. I have jumped from company to company but I am also known by name in the industry as a positive influence and an expert in my craft. I get called with job offers all the time from past employers and approached at trade shows. Hell I work from home and go into the office when I FEEL like it. Why? Because I've put in years in the industry and built my reputation up. If you are good at what you do there is no fear of being fired or out of work. You just have to apply yourself and live within your means. People who jump careers a lot tend to lack dedication to much anything but themselves from what I have ever seen. How can you become truly good at something if you are always a novice to that trade? It makes zero sense.

Not directing this at anyone. Just giving you an honest observation from years of experience.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
We are going way off topic here but I figured I would chime in.....

Skilled workers and Detroit shouldn't be in the same sentence. The reason they went belly up is because they had highly unskilled workers for the pay rate they were receiving thanks to unions.

Also I have been in the same industry for closing in on 20 years now. I have jumped from company to company but I am also known by name in the industry as a positive influence and an expert in my craft. I get called with job offers all the time from past employers and approached at trade shows. Hell I work from home and go into the office when I FEEL like it. Why? Because I've put in years in the industry and built my reputation up. If you are good at what you do there is no fear of being fired or out of work. You just have to apply yourself and live within your means. People who jump careers a lot tend to lack dedication to much anything but themselves from what I have ever seen. How can you become truly good at something if you are always a novice to that trade? It makes zero sense.

Not directing this at anyone. Just giving you an honest observation from years of experience.
Fairly much spot on. I started out in the Justice Department, but that tends to rip the life out of anyone. Moved to the largest slaughterhouse complex in the southern hemisphere - unfortunately between live animal exports, powerful unions (a lot of work stoppages), and a drastic culling (95%) of livestock due to subsidised imports, the writing was on the wall after seven years. Mastering Culinary Arts is is an ever ongoing process, you have to move (and take demotions to Sous, Third, Garde manger etc to work under good chefs) - you'll never know it all, and the industry is always a moving target whether you're a dishwasher (where most good chefs start), or an executive/head chef (20+ years for me personally). After working extensively in two very volatile industries - primary produce (livestock), and hospitality, I can attest that redundancies are more often linked with economic pressures than any individual failings. From an OT PoV, I'm pretty certain that the 15% of AMD's workforce that were let go when the company announced its downsizing wasn't because 1000+ people suddenly started doing a piss-poor job...especially as one of the people kicked to the curb was responsible for bringing Eyefinity to fruition (Carrell Killebrew).