• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tips for a DUAL MONITOR setup

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
Hi guys

Lately I've been wanting to get myself a second monitor. I often search stuff on the web while I have a PC game running... so usually I just ALT-TAB out of the game to do my web browsing, but sometimes it messes up with the Game or causes weird behaviors with the game's ram usage... anyhow... here's what I'm looking to do:

I'd like to find a way to run my PC game on one screen and have my web pages and other apps opened on the OTHER monitor. Is there a way to do that? Now I know for some of you that might be basic knowledge but I've never had more than 1x monitor in a PC setup, so I'm trying to get a walkthrough of what to do.

I have a gtx 670 and an i7, I already have a 24inch asus monitor. NOTE that I DON'T intend to use the 2x monitors for gaming, only ONE would be used for gaming the other for other applications.

So here are the questions I need answers to:

A) Do my 2x monitors need to be the same size?
B) Do I need to run any specific programs to be able to run 2x monitors? Do I just use windows parameters or are there programs out there that optimize the system for dual monitor use?
C) Can my graphics card handle the work load that would generate?
D) Any other recommendations ?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
A: No.
B: The only game that I'm aware of that will use two displays out of the box is Supreme Commander, but generally speaking, dual displays isn't intended to be used this way in the sense of easily switching between them while in a full screen game. Dual monitor only enables you to have windows open while you game, but you must still alt-tab to interact with them (unless you're playing a game in windowed mode.)
C: Not much extra load is added by just having a second display, however I think the GPU will use a little more power in general just to drive it. We're talking <10 watts with your GPU with little to no impact on performance.
D: I used to have a 28" and a 22" and the difference and size and resolution drove me nuts. Since then I've acquired 3 displays of the same model and I'm extremely pleased with it. I use them productivity and I game on a single display, the center one, so my goals were similar to yours. If you like the display you already have and can buy another one, I would do it otherwise I would save and buy two displays of the same kind unless you're planning to do something like this, otherwise always stick with the same model display.

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
A: No.
B: The only game that I'm aware of that will use two displays out of the box is Supreme Commander, but generally speaking, dual displays isn't intended to be used this way in the sense of easily switching between them while in a full screen game. Dual monitor only enables you to have windows open while you game, but you must still alt-tab to interact with them (unless you're playing a game in windowed mode.)
C: Not much extra load is added by just having a second display, however I think the GPU will use a little more power in general just to drive it. We're talking <10 watts with your GPU with little to no impact on performance.
D: I used to have a 28" and a 22" and the difference and size and resolution drove me nuts. Since then I've acquired 3 displays of the same model and I'm extremely pleased with it. I use them productivity and I game on a single display, the center one, so my goals were similar to yours. If you like the display you already have and can buy another one, I would do it otherwise I would save and buy two displays of the same kind unless you're planning to do something like this, otherwise always stick with the same model display.

oh... that sucks. So If I got this right... Windows treats the game as a kinda "fullscreen" active application, so I have to alt-tab out ? ....... hurrrr....

So then. what are the benefits of multiple monitors (aside from the possibility of stereo gameplay and bigger res of course) ?
more programs and windows visible because of additionnal monitors ?

Cause my problem with games, is whenever I alt-tab out of them, I can interact with my other opened programs, but often, when returning to the opened game, it's like the game's performance lvl drops everytime by a little... few hiccups here and there that always show up when I alt-tab a lot

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455
Hi guys
A) Do my 2x monitors need to be the same size?
B) Do I need to run any specific programs to be able to run 2x monitors? Do I just use windows parameters or are there programs out there that optimize the system for dual monitor use?
C) Can my graphics card handle the work load that would generate?
D) Any other recommendations ?

I've been running multi monitors for ages. I adore it and use it for more than gaming, I even have it set up so I can have movies and sound going to my TV via HDMI and play a game on my monitor with sound of the game coming via the surround sound (thus game and movies at same time)

To answer your questions

A: No, this isn't required however it is MUCH MUCH easier to and nice to use monitors of the same size and same res, However I use to use one monitor at different res and there is no problem.
B: No, No software is needed, for me I just set the displays and layout in CCC (ATI card) or within windows display settings and you're sorted. Be aware not many games use multi monitor :( it's sad I know and to access the game you'll still be required to alt tab out of the game. BE AWARE a lot of games do not keep the mouse in the window, so if you scroll toooo far to the edge of a game with the mouse and click, you might find you've clicked on the desktop and come out of the game
C: No problems at all, I use to run multi on my 5850 without issues
D: if you can, match monitor brand,make or resolution. I use Multi Monitor at work and got shafted with a cheap second monitor for a while, you notice the differences in colour/brightness and how crap one is compared to the other might just be me but it does my head in. Other than that, what Aquinus said is spot on.

Case Corsair 1000D
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
oh... that sucks. So If I got this right... Windows treats the game as a kinda "fullscreen" active application, so I have to alt-tab out ? ....... hurrrr....

So then. what are the benefits of multiple monitors (aside from the possibility of stereo gameplay and bigger res of course) ?
more programs and windows visible because of additionnal monitors ?

Cause my problem with games, is whenever I alt-tab out of them, I can interact with my other opened programs, but often, when returning to the opened game, it's like the game's performance lvl drops everytime by a little... few hiccups here and there that always show up when I alt-tab a lot

Yeah, tbh I normally use my MM for surfing and watching tv at the same time, or when I am doing work on it and have Databases open and coding on one screen etc. It doesn't get used a lot.

You could have the game running in a boarder-less window mode (so it looks full screen) but then the mouse will probably not be locked to the inside of the game, so moving too far one way and you're out of the game window. (causes few problems) also I find running in boarder-less window does effect performance a bit on some games.

I've come to the realisation unless using eyefinity kind of set up, multi monitoring for gaming is a fraking waste...

Case Corsair 1000D
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Processor Intel i9 7900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) PNY 1080 Ti FE
Storage Intel 750 AIC PCI-E SSD 400GB/Intel 600p NVME 512 GB/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Dual Acer B326HK UHD
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold SSR-1000GD
Mouse Logitech M510
Keyboard Logitech G610 Cherry Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
I use a 30" and 24" side by side. Never really notice the difference in screen colors or resolutions since generally I'm doing different things on each monitor. I open something in the primary monitor (30") then drag it over to the 24"--just have to make sure I size it down pretty small so it doesn't overfill the 24" Often drag two or three windows to the 24 and maybe open a movie or video full screen on the 30. I can then maximize, scroll, search, do e-mail or whatever with the windows on the 24-incher. Remember to drag those windows back to the primary monitor before I close them or I won't find them when I go back to using the primary by itself. You'll figure it out--pretty simple. As others have mentioned, if you used similar size/brand it makes things easier but these are the two monitors I had on hand and saw no reason not to use them. No extra programs needed and very little power hit running the dual monitors. I find using Windows Key + P is the easiest way to control the displays. Did set up primary/secondary display using the Nvidia control panel when I set up the two monitors. I've gotten used to having all the screen real estate and enjoy being able to do a multitude of things at the same time. Sometimes I reverse it and open a video, game or something on the smaller screen and then open 6-8 windows on the 30"--really useful when doing side-by-side comparisons of products, specs and prices( right click the clock and show windows side-by-side).