• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A bit of everything during reinstalling 8.1 :(

Yesterday my new mobo arrived (will talk about that elsewhere) and I wanted to clean install Windows 8.1.

1) DRIVE TOOLS (for a tool like me..) My main drive, a 1TB Samsung SSD, has 2 partitions. I used Paragon Hard Drive Suite Pro (or how it is calleD) 2014 for the 2nd time in my life.
I bought it to go from MBR to GPT disks, and it was a disaster, it looks easy, you click and it says "restart needed" and you never see the program again... nor your drive...
This happened again yesterday. I formated everything except the 2nd partition (with data).
I was unaware that Paragon just LETS YOU DELETE "NO NAME" SMALL PARTITION, THAT IS THE GPT "table"
So again I was without luck, and I tried to recover the particion (i did not format or alter the partitions). I even payed to ESEAUS for their full version (as the Paragon suite didn't fix anything after hourse of "disk analizing to recover partition)
Easeus was nice and showed my files, recover limit was removed PAYING, and I let it recover during hours, only to find ZERO bytes archives.

I will use the money back guarantee with both programs...

2) WIN 8 Upgrade reinstall.
I like many bought Win8 Pro at day 1, the upgrade.
Have reinstalled it a couple of times on same machine (1xhdd failure and 1x hardware upgrade). Never had problems with ACTIVATION.

This time it was no no no. It said "System does not qualify for this version" No phone option.
As I had Win7 on a usbpen and i know it is a vast installation i did that. I did not install the 1000+updates, just activate. Well I have some licences and can't remember with number goes on what pc. Tried one, already in use. Tried another, Maximum installs exceded. No phone option. Use a trick from eightforums.com, that is a refresh. No success. A .bat file, no success. But now it gave my phone option. PHONED, ALL OK.

Now I had to reinstall clean Win 8 Upgrade. Praying to all gods, I installed (with success after all the secure boot and UEFI boot stuff, man is this all rubish), formated my drives.
Automatically 4 partitions created:
boot, reserved, my own particion and another reserved at the end of the drive.
THIS IS NICE, not: later, Samsung Magician says it can NOT create OverPartition partition because there is a partition at the end of the drive, that SUCKS! (My prevision "setup" had that reserved partition elsewhere, and my data partition was the last of the line...) No, I am not going to use Paragon to move partitions....!! :(

Anyway, installed windows. The driver and patches process began for me.
While installing my stuff, Windows downloaded OVER 100 patches (before even starting with 8.1.)
Restarted, and another load of patches.
Then I saw a boot screen and the text "UPDATING UNSUCCESFULL, REVERTING..."
Well this took 10 restarts and over an hour (in the middle of last night)
After the undoing, it installed again 1000 patches and this time ok.

Than I changed my user profile to the windows account (done that dozens of time on different pcs, so no surprises), and went on setting things up. I set "do not ask for password" and was a bit surprized to see my personal username on one tab and my windows account on another, but didn't change anything.
Went to bed finally.

This morning I entered windows and noticed that I did HAVE ADMIN RIGHTS ANYMORE.
Never have been a guest at home, lol, but noticed I was FCKD.

Had to use Restore Points... after a bit of desperation.

Luckily, I just check and "File history" has saved and I can access my files.
Also luckily I took a day of work, I don't think otherwise I could have managed this or paid someone to do it, like most of the non techsavy do.

As usual, The Descents of Bill Gates surprise you, ALWAYS!!!! No wonder some people do not update, no upgrade, not even enter the Control Panel, only type and print, ... just in case. hahahahaha

Edit: just remembered;
I had to phone for activatin for resintalling Win7, then phone for Win 8, AND THEN TO PHONE FOR MEDIA CENTER EDITION (another key, also "reached activation limit")
3 times in same day, but I must say, the phone activation is one of the few thins THAT WORK!" AAAAH MAMA MAMA!

Edit 2: I even installed Rescue Linux on my laptop, had to edit config files manually to boot it, used its TestDisk tool with my SSD, but no success rescuing partions. Paragon has realy done nice damage! Made in Germany software is not better, thats for sure.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I have no idea what you want.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I use Paragon Hard Drive Suite Pro 12 for cloning to larger smaller hdd\ssd's without any issue's.. How ever i have never tried what your doing with it.

If that happened to me i would of get in touch with them about the issue they even have a forum too..

They can't be total dumbasses, as they are an established company and German o_O, but 1) their tools are not intuitive and a forrest of tabs and windows, and 2) they offer compatibility (with win8.1 and with GPT) and I don't believe it is totally true/done. On the contrary, Easeus is simple and until now has helped me often. I myself am also a GPT newbie and would never have expected that it is based on a VISIBLE/DELETABLE partition/table.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Then may I suggest formatting a hard drive may not be the answer! o_O Joking aside, think about a sensible title, yours is a genuine submission for "how not to title a thread" :clap:

SystemBuilders/OS/MS/Windows/8/8.1/Upgrading/Formating/Activation/Partitioning/Restoring/TOBeOrNotToBe/ABitOfEverything :toast:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
SystemBuilders/OS/MS/Windows/8/8.1/Upgrading/Formating/Activation/Partitioning/Restoring/TOBeOrNotToBe/ABitOfEverything :toast:
Your getting closer, cut that down by 80% and we may ge there by the next world cup! :)

Indeed, next world cup will be epic, we all willl have upgraded to Win 9 and all this will be only remembered as legendary BS. :pimp: