• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Z87 and Haswell 24/7 OC Guide

System Name Can I run it
Processor delidded i9-10900KF @ 5.1Ghz SVID best case scenario +LLC5+Supercool direct die waterblock
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XII Apex 2801 BIOS
Cooling Main = GTS 360 GTX 240, EK PE 360,XSPC EX 360,2x EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM, 12x T30, AC High Flow Next
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 3600@4600 16-16-16-36@1.61V+EK Monarch, Separate loop with GTS 120&Freezemod DDC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC @ 0.762V 1785Mhz core 20.8Gbps mem + Barrow full cover waterblock
Storage Transcend PCIE 220S 1TB (main), WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB for OC testing, Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240Hz calibrated by X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus
Case Thermaltake View 71
Audio Device(s) Q Acoustics M20 HD speakers with Q Acoustics QB12 subwoofer
Power Supply Silverstone ST-1200 PTS 1200W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G913 (GL Linear)
Software Windows 11
nice guide !

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Thank you for pointing out to use FPU only in AIDA64 as opposed to the default options. Using that showed that my system is unstable at it's settings that I previously thought worked. Even after I lowered my clock speed to fix the stability issues, then the FPU stress test caused my processor to reach 100°C and throttle. Now I need to reduce the voltage to below 1.2V in order to prevent throttling. These chips really do get hot!

One thing I was confused about was the importance of VCC-in. You explained that lower default values indicate a more overclock friendly chip. But is there any reason to change this voltage from the stock value? The usefulness of changing the value isn't described in the article.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thank you for pointing out to use FPU only in AIDA64 as opposed to the default options. Using that showed that my system is unstable at it's settings that I previously thought worked. Even after I lowered my clock speed to fix the stability issues, then the FPU stress test caused my processor to reach 100°C and throttle. Now I need to reduce the voltage to below 1.2V in order to prevent throttling. These chips really do get hot!

One thing I was confused about was the importance of VCC-in. You explained that lower default values indicate a more overclock friendly chip. But is there any reason to change this voltage from the stock value? The usefulness of changing the value isn't described in the article.

Yeah, I was purposefully vague on voltage overall, since it really seems to change from chip to chip, how you should set things. You really want to set iVR voltage as low as possible to help control heat.

VCC-in provides voltage to all domains, so it will drops, or increase, automatically based on workload, unless your BIOS allows manual adjustment options that disables Intel's automatic scheme. A small offset can help pull in stability, at times, regardless, but not all boards deal with this in the same way so there was no general rule I could come up with other than trying to stay under 1.9V, and saying that I think 1.865V is more than enough for 24/7 unless your chip is really sensitive.

I might have been able to come up with something more specific if I had more chips to play with, pushing the limits and killing hardware gets expensive quick, and I've killed a LOT of hardware since this platform launched, CPUs, boards, memory, VGAs...:banghead:.

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
...pushing the limits and killing hardware gets expensive quick, and I've killed a LOT of hardware since this platform launched, CPUs, boards, memory, VGAs...:banghead:.

I'm getting so nervous. The ambient temps here are ~35C on an average and more than 40C in summer. There are no "custom" WC solutions available in India. There are some AIO with potential to expand (like the Swiftech, CM Eisberg etc) but I don't know how to do the expansion since the individual parts aren't available....:banghead:

Do you think the Swiftech H320 AIO in push-pull will be a good-enough solution? I can't find many reviews of the H320... :(

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm getting so nervous. The ambient temps here are ~35C on an average and more than 40C in summer. There are no "custom" WC solutions available in India. There are some AIO with potential to expand (like the Swiftech, CM Eisberg etc) but I don't know how to do the expansion since the individual parts aren't available....

Do you think the Swiftech H320 AIO in push-pull will be a good-enough solution? I can't find many reviews of the H320...

Yeah, the H320 should be more than adequate for 24/7 OC'ing.

I killed a fair bit of hardware, but at the same time, I have kind of been trying to kill stuff, and find the limits. Then, when something dies, I have to try the same thing again to confirm the cause of the death. So I don't think you need to be so concerned about it...just be sure to keep everything within respectable limits as I posted, since maybe a wee bit more is OK.

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
Yeah, the H320 should be more than adequate for 24/7 OC'ing.

I killed a fair bit of hardware, but at the same time, I have kind of been trying to kill stuff, and find the limits. Then, when something dies, I have to try the same thing again to confirm the cause of the death. So I don't think you need to be so concerned about it...just be sure to keep everything within respectable limits as I posted, since maybe a wee bit more is OK.

Thanks man. So H320 it is then ;)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
great article!

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
I must have absolutely terrible 4770K. Barely stable at 4.35GHz 1.29V (3900MHz cache) and temps sky rocket in two seconds from 30c to +90c in Intel Burn Test. Contact with H100i is perfect, but can't say the same for IHS and die then.

Yes, I am looking at you 4770K. You and I will visit hammer & vice soon :rolleyes:

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
haven't read it yet but im saving it to favourites for when I eventually try some blue!

thanks in advance....

p.s I just typo'd really bad and said cadavance LOL

bearcub

Aida/fpu?

Yeah, I was purposefully vague on voltage overall, since it really seems to change from chip to chip, how you should set things. You really want to set iVR voltage as low as possible to help control heat.

VCC-in provides voltage to all domains, so it will drops, or increase, automatically based on workload, unless your BIOS allows manual adjustment options that disables Intel's automatic scheme. A small offset can help pull in stability, at times, regardless, but not all boards deal with this in the same way so there was no general rule I could come up with other than trying to stay under 1.9V, and saying that I think 1.865V is more than enough for 24/7 unless your chip is really sensitive.

I might have been able to come up with something more specific if I had more chips to play with, pushing the limits and killing hardware gets expensive quick, and I've killed a LOT of hardware since this platform launched, CPUs, boards, memory, VGAs...:banghead:.

Great article and thanks...question about the AIDA stability test. I also use AIDA (paired with a G19 for monitoring temps/volts/etc, I can't imagine NOT having that nice little screen to monitor things while overclocking...)

Am I reading it wrong or are there ADDITIONAL settings you use, or do you just de-select everything but FPU? Not 100% sure that makes sense, if FPU is checked along with the others (CPU, etc) doesn't the test include the FPU tests? I turn off the GPU and HDD tests for sure, but why would having ONLY FPU checked be an advantage?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Great article and thanks...question about the AIDA stability test. I also use AIDA (paired with a G19 for monitoring temps/volts/etc, I can't imagine NOT having that nice little screen to monitor things while overclocking...)

Am I reading it wrong or are there ADDITIONAL settings you use, or do you just de-select everything but FPU? Not 100% sure that makes sense, if FPU is checked along with the others (CPU, etc) doesn't the test include the FPU tests? I turn off the GPU and HDD tests for sure, but why would having ONLY FPU checked be an advantage?

Having the other tests selected uses resources that the AVX-based FPU test needs, in order to be able to run fully. The physical design of the chip makes it this way.

Try both, and you should quickly see the differences.

So, you need to do FPU-only test to ensure that AVX-based stability is true. Likewise with the other tests...to do them properly, they need to be run separately, really.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So, let me understand... if everything else is selected it doesnt run the AVX instructions? A bit confused and want to ask our contacts at AIDA about that, LOL!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thanks for the link. Read that in the past, and again, and still missed the part where he says "FPU must be the only item enabled to run the AVX/AVX2 instruction set in the stablity test. If others are enabled it will not run those instruction sets even if it FPU is selected"...

Please excuse my denseness...today. :p

....reading it again, LOL!

THis is as close as I can see:
If you enable only the FPU and GPU subtests, the stress on the system is very high. Using a power draw meter device, you can see that it draws more power from the system than using other stress testing solutions.

But that states you need FPU and GPU? Not sure why he mentions GPU in there for a CPU stress test. Perhaps that is where I am getting confused. I should be at the benching/review rig tonight so I will check it out. :toast:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
But that states you need FPU and GPU? Not sure why he mentions GPU in there for a CPU stress test. Perhaps that is where I am getting confused. I should be at the benching/review rig tonight so I will check it out. :toast:

Just try it and check the power consumption.

AVX still runs when the other tests are selected, but at the same time, all the tests are contending for CPU time, meaning the AVX instruction set isn't running as fast as it would be under normal conditions. It's not a voltage boost that gives the extra power draw...the voltage boost is there when all four tests are selected, so...ergo the utilization is higher.

GPU test doesn't actually use THAT much CPU time compared to other CPU-and memory focused testing, and adding a GPU itself is usually far higher power usage than even adding a second CPU. To get the max power draw at the wall AIDA can show, you need to do both of those two tests. to get the most power draw out from the EPS 8-pin (or the CPU), you need to not do the GPU test either, and only do the FPU test.

Pick up one of those Zalman power meters, or put a clamp meter on the 8-pin. I report those numbers for a reason! ;) Without that sort of testing, knowing exactly where the power draw is coming from can be a bit difficult, for sure.

Overclocking basics...test everything INDIVIDUALLY. Then, test it all together, in various mixes, as the workload will be different. I don't need the guys at AIDA to tell me any more than exactly what you quoted above...I simply tried all the tests and watched what happened. I could be wrong (which is possible about ANYTHING!!!:p)...but I don't think so.

AVX still runs when the other tests are selected, but at the same time, all the tests are contending for CPU time, meaning the AVX instruction set isn't running as fast as it would be under normal conditions. It's not a voltage boost that gives the extra power draw...the voltage boost is there when all four tests are selected, so...ergo the utilization is higher.

GPU test doesn't actually use THAT much CPU time compared to other CPU-and memory focused testing, and adding a GPU itself is usually far higher power usage than even adding a second CPU. To get the max power draw at the wall AIDA can show, you need to do both of those two tests. to get the most power draw out from the EPS 8-pin (or the CPU), you need to not do the GPU test either, and only do the FPU test.
THAT makes sense. Thanks!

I have a KillaWatt and CAMeter so I can see both if needed. Will use KaW though, LOL!

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
Hey Dave for the life of me I can't seem to get pass base clock of 100 and max multi of 45. I wanna lower my multi like you said to about 39 but can't seem to get pass that(multi of 39 and higher base clock) for some reason.

What baseclock are you trying to reach? Are you hosing on 101 or did you shoot for 125 out of the gate? Details would be helpful...

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
What baseclock are you trying to reach? Are you hosing on 101 or did you shoot for 125 out of the gate? Details would be helpful...

Sorry, been busy(2month old newborn). I have tried in between all the way up to 117 I can't get my chip stable what so ever. I had it boot into windows @ 4.6 but eventually bsod.

msi mpower
g skill 2400 MHz sniper

I had the latest 1.5 bios and have since turned to the 1.5b4(beta) and have since stabilized. I have booted with little tweaking @4.6 but backed off to 4.5ghz for now till my next day off. I'm idling around 26-27 degrees celsius and maxed out @65 stress testing.

Last edited:
System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Wouldn't mind seeing Devils Canyon z97 guide.....