• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Drag Socket FM2+ On Till 2016

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD's desktop processor and APU platforms are not expected to see any major changes till 2016, according to a BitsnChips report. The delay is attributed to a number of factors, including DDR4 memory proliferation (i.e. for DDR4 memory to get affordable enough for target consumers of APUs), and AMD's so-called "project Fast-Forward," which aims to place high-bandwidth memory next to the APU die, for the AMD's increasingly powerful integrated graphics solutions to overcome memory bottlenecks.

The company's upcoming "Carrizo" APU is targeted at low-TDP devices such as ultra-slim notebooks and tablets; and is the first chip to integrate AMD's next-generation "Excavator" CPU micro-architecture. "Carrizo" chips continue to use DDR3 system memory, and therefore it's possible that AMD may design a socket FM2+ chip based on "Excavator," probably leveraging newer silicon fab processes. But otherwise, socket FM2+ is here to stay.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
I guess they want to wait for their new CPU arch before switching to a totally new socket.

Looks like I'll need to wait till atleast 2016 for a replacement of my system if I want to stay with AMD!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Really, I don't see a need for a new socket until DDR4 is mainstream as long as Excavator will run in FM2+.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Not like Intel is doing anything special. They've totally stagnated like I figured they would. No need to press performance when you've got no real competitor. Bout the only positive right now is Intel's graphics are finally doing something, which AMD can easily counter with their own. Guess its just a calm period before AMD gets it's act together. Its an interesting guerrilla tactic to watch. Distancing itself from "CPU" to embrace "APU" and getting the consumer to do the same because Intel can't beat AMD on graphics. But when it comes down to it, it is still a CPU. So AMD is just biding time in the lower end market till they can come outright and say they're back in competition with Intel.

I wonder if by then they'll drop the APU tag. Or maybe they'll pick up a new tagline. lol they could go with TPU (Total Processing Unit) then this site could reap some benefits...or get sued for rights to the tag....heh.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
For 2015 they only need two things to be able to say that they give their customers an upgrade path that it can justify itself.

In FM2+, Carrizo with Excavator and HBM. Without HBM, Excavator would have to be much much better performing in the cpu part, to be considered an upgrade. Personally I don't see it happening. I don't see why the fourth version of the module architecture to be a bigger step than the last two (Bulldozer-->Piledriver, Piledriver-->Steamroller).
Of course there is the possibility of new FX processors for the FM2+ with more than 2 modules. But that could also mean new motherboards because 3 modules and a few stream processors, could be a possibility with 100W ceiling, 4 or .... 6 modules, I think they are a "No Go" with only 100W limit.

In the AM1 platform, Beema models that will also be compatible with existing Kabini boards. 25 Watts are more than enough for a 2.8-3GHz Beema quad core.

I don't expect anything in AM3+ unfortunately.

PS That guy that thought that Bulldozer, or should I say AMD's Pentium 4 version, was a good idea,... well, I hope he/she works at a McDonalds store today serving people hot potatoes. He/she knows much about hot potatoes.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
bulldozer would have been a lot better if they hadnt cut corners on the mfr process. and if they didnt share floating point process. its a reall shame too could have been something so much more than it was.
as for no update to the socket till 2016.. i dont really see that as an issue. sockect 775 for intell was one of the best and that sucker went on forever. (pentium 4, pentium d, pentium c2d, c2q. and with a slight mod xenon's)
a longer life span for a socket isnt always a bad thing. provided you improve the components that go in and arround it.

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
bulldozer would have been a lot better if they hadnt cut corners on the mfr process. and if they didnt share floating point process. its a reall shame too could have been something so much more than it was.

The whole idea of the module architecture was to cut corners. But cut them only as much as not to have a problem advertising a module as a full dual core.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The whole idea of the module architecture was to cut corners. But cut them only as much as not to have a problem advertising a module as a full dual core.
No, it was to save die space so you can fit more compute cores in the same area. They removed extra hardware that wasn't needed and added more where it needed it (eventually). A module is more of a dual core than you think because there are actually two full integer cores that run in parallel unlike with HyperThreading which re-uses components that aren't being used to get some extra work done. Some of the shared components are things like the op code decoders, cache, and a wide FPU (256-bit vs 128) and using things like XOP and FMA, that single wide FPU can be run as two individual 128-bit FPUs for particular instructions. It's not perfect but it made one thing very clear; CPUs should be doing mostly integer math and some floating point math and if you need to do a ton of floating point calculations, you should be doing it on a GPU/GPGPU setup. It's no different than nVidia gimping its double precision performance to improve single precision because that is what games typically use.

So no, they didn't do it to "cut corners", that's just how you feel about it which is different than why they did it. They did it to save die space so they could cram more cores on a single CPU.

System Name Salamander
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.325ghz 1.206v
Motherboard Asrock X370 Taichi
Cooling EK Supremacy Evo | Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS XFlow | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm x 3
Memory Team T-Force Xtreem 2x8GB DDR4 3733 @ 3733mhz c16 1.4v | IF @ 1866mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX-470 RS Single Fan flashed to RX-570 @ stock water-cooled
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 256gb M.2 | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | WD Blue 500GB 2.5" | Toshiba 2TB 2.5"
Display(s) LG 27MP68VQ 27" 1920x1080 75hz IPS Freesync monitor
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 650w
Mouse Steelseries Kana White
Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro N
Compute cores to be specific :) The module architecture was designed with APUs in mind.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Compute cores to be specific :) The module architecture was designed with APUs in mind.
It's part of their heterogeneous computing goal, so was HSA with more recent APUs. It'a all to bridge the gap for everything between strictly serial workloads and strictly parallel workloads on a single IC. While I think this has always been an ambitious goal, reducing power consumption could help them more than they know. I would be all for a CPU where the CPU and GPU cores used shared components, it might not be the fastest for the most efficient, but it would be the most flexible I think that's what AMD's long term goal is.

System Name Sham Pc
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
the corner cutting was done during the mfr process. the single fpu is an issue in my eyes as if you have a 256bit instruction that effectively forces the modue to be a single core. and it can only function as two cores if its 128bit. and with the way things are scheduled. a 256bit instruction can get to core 1. then a 128bit sent to core 2 and it has to sit and wait because the fpu is in full use. scheduling should really move it to an unused core/module. and non floating point opperations should really be moved to a unused core or one that isnt doing any floating point opperations. but that dosent happen. and amd should have understood that would be a big factpr in performance when they chose to go with a single split fp..

but having one fp is not corner cutting thats just a design flaw imo. the cost cutting was due to simply not doing things by hand that should have been done by hand. that cost a lot of extra performance for some money savings.

its really annoying to me that they chose the path they did. as it could have been so much better.

Audio Device(s) onboard
No, it was to save die space so you can fit more compute cores in the same area.
As I said. That was the whole idea of the design, to cut corners.

They removed extra hardware that wasn't needed and added more where it needed it (eventually).
FPUs where not needed???

A module is more of a dual core than you think because there are actually two full integer cores that run in parallel unlike with HyperThreading which re-uses components that aren't being used to get some extra work done.
As I also said. A module is as much hardware as it is necessary, so that AMD can advertise it as a full dual core without the fear lawsuits start dropping like bombs in their headquarters for misleading their customers.

Some of the shared components are things like the op code decoders, cache, and a wide FPU (256-bit vs 128) and using things like XOP and FMA, that single wide FPU can be run as two individual 128-bit FPUs for particular instructions. It's not perfect but it made one thing very clear; CPUs should be doing mostly integer math and some floating point math and if you need to do a ton of floating point calculations, you should be doing it on a GPU/GPGPU setup. It's no different than nVidia gimping its double precision performance to improve single precision because that is what games typically use.

If the integer units where much faster and if the 6 FPUs in the Phenom II X6 where not doing circles around the 4 in the first 8 core Bulldozer chips, in most cases, or if there where stream processors in the FX chips in the first place to take advantage of GPGPU and also we had plenty of software for GPGPU, I could agree with you. But we have a ton of "IFs" years after the first Bulldozer and of course this isn't the same case as with Nvidia because Nvidia's cards are top performers. So I can't agree with you.

So no, they didn't do it to "cut corners", that's just how you feel about it which is different than why they did it. They did it to save die space so they could cram more cores on a single CPU.
It is not a feeling. It is reality. They couldn't follow Intel in the thread count, Intel had an unfair advantage there with hyperthreading, they couldn't follow Intel in the manufacturing process, so they had to do something. And that something was to throw half the FPUs out and started counting integer units when advertising the chips. Now they started talking about compute cores so they can advertise 4, 8, or 12 cores(I hope this truck I posted doesn't transfer compute cores but integer cores, very optimistic but let's just hope).

You want to justify a design that failed miserably and brought AMD to it's knees. I can't stop you. I only can say to you that for the Jaguar design where space is much more limited and power consumption much more important, they didn't choose the module design. Even considering that Kabinis for example do have stream processors in them for GPGPU they still paired an integer unit with a full fpu. That should tell you something.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Cutting corners would imply that they skimped to save on cost, which they didn't. AMD's chips are plenty fast, the problem is power consumption. If your cores make too much heat you can't add more or make them run faster. You're complaining about the wrong stuff.

When it comes to integer performance (what CPUs are doing most of the time since memory addresses and strings are represented as integers) that's what CPUs will be doing. More often than not, 4 FPUs will be more than enough for your typical floating point use. Also you're misunderstanding me if you're thinking I'm saying that CPU doesn't need any FPUs. If you're running an application that has more than 4 FPU intensive threads, then you really should be considering GPGPU but most of the time FPU instructions will be spread throughout code and not all bunched up so despite there only being 1 FPU per module, it doesn't matter if it's shared as it will just use whatever is free. You run out of FP performance in unique situations with FX chips which are typically only encountered on benchmarks and less in real world applications.

Loss in performance is probably much more likely to be caused by the long pipeline that FX CPUs have because of the module design, so not predicting a branch properly (which would cause a pipeline stall) will cause a much worse performance hit than fewer FPUs will as the pipeline has to be wiped and the next instruction has to go all the way through it again which was one of the biggest flaws of the first version of Bulldozer to come out and has been improved with every revision since, same deal with cache hit/miss ratios.

Kabini is a different animal because it doesn't use modules or even the Phenom II architecture for that matter. The pipeline is much shorter (shorter than Phenom IIs were in fact,) and is designed for low power use cases, not performance. The cost of a shorter pipeline is that (initially at least,) it can hinder clock speeds until the components on the pipeline are optimized like Intel has done over the last 8 years with the Core architecture.

I'm not saying that what AMD did was a good idea. I'm saying that it was ambitious and probably is more suitable for businesses than your typical consumer. It was too early to do this and they suffered because of it. However the claims your making are false though, the things you don't like about FX aren't what hinders it. The shared FPU was probably one of the best decisions they made with the architecture. The worst was the size of the pipeline, it's the single biggest reason why AMD can't get as much done per clock cycle as Intel.

Also HyperThreading threads typically give you a max improvement of 30% and as little as nothing depending on the workload where AMD's modules scale almost linearly in comparison, as real cores do. So Intel might have better single-threaded performance but AMD CPUs scale better per core and start showing their colors in multi-threaded workloads.

Also AMD and Intel's philosophy with HT and modules are very similar. AMD is adding components to run more stuff in parallel where Intel just uses what isn't being used already to gain more performance. As a result HT performance depends highly on the current CPU load and what parts of the CPU aren't being used where with module you know that you'll get roughly the same performance per integer compute core as opposed to being highly dependent on what's being done already.

I did some testing a while back with respect to how much HT and more cores impacts 7zip performance and came up with this and this. You're over estimating the ability of HT.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
I did some testing a while back with respect to how much HT and more cores impacts 7zip performance and came up with this and this. You're over estimating the ability of HT.

I'm writing an application to do just that, it stresses and benches 1 cpu, then 2, then 3 and so on, then it measures the impact in performance. I don't have proper results yet but when the app gets finished I will post some.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm writing an application to do just that, it stresses and benches 1 cpu, then 2, then 3 and so on, then it measures the impact in performance. I don't have proper results yet but when the app gets finished I will post some.

No no no. I actually disabled HT and cores when I did each of those benchmarks so CPU-Z and the OS only saw that many threads. You can't do that without restarting the board and changing the BIOS. That wasn't just testing with one thread or two, or three and just changing CPU affinity which doesn't give you an accurate picture.

Also what kind of workload are you doing to measure performance and in what language?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
No problem keeping it awhile longer, but maybe they could just give us dual socket boards and that's where we'll get more modules as well as Crossfired APUs ;)

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Well AMD is known for just updating the existing motherboards and chipsets so this does not surprise me. They can keep expanding the FM2+ socket platform for awhile and add features to expand it as much as they see fit. I am surprised they are sticking with the FM2+ socket for another 2 years, but its not the end of the world. I would be more interested in if they decide to do something like move to an AM4 socket and restart that platform with the excavator chips.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see whats behind door number 2 lol.

Personally, I think they should start looking to make DDR4 standard asap because it will benefit APU's so much to have it (Though they can just start integrating high performance DDR3 memory controllers I would suppose as well)

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Really, I don't see a need for a new socket until DDR4 is mainstream as long as Excavator will run in FM2+.
I get what you are saying and the market doesn't really demand much more than 4 generation old CPU's right now BUT......I think AMD should start being a little more proactive in the desktop/server area than reactive to Intel's advancements.

Granted we have reached a plateau with desktops in terms of performance demands but the server market is hungry for more speed with all the cloud infrastructure going into industries. I think its a tad bit short sided not to adopt DDR4 earlier rather than later for AMD at least in the server market.

System Name Sham Pc
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
i dont see why fm2+ boards couldnt use ddr4 with some updated hardware on mother boards.
lga 775 managed to span ddr ddr2 and ddr3. obviously would be per board specific but i dont see how the socket type is relivant to what memory can be used.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I'll just leave this addition to AMD's CG video portfolio here...

Audio Device(s) onboard
I'll just leave this addition to AMD's CG video portfolio here...

Probably HSA promotion. But I think they can promote HSA better if they start selling more Kaveri APUs instead of keep selling Richland and Trinity instead.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Ddr4 on what is essentially a budget socket won't make any sense until it's not at crazy prices and it isn't likely to get that cheap any time soon.
And the Op kind of implies that Amd are definitely bad for holding on to reality , intel by comparison keep swapping sockets and chipsets mearly to keep people from having more than a few years upgrade path.
Imho pciex 3 is not utilised 100% by 99% of those that have it and ddr4 is simply to expensive at this time so I welcome the common sense approach of No we won't swap sockets just to drum up chipset sales.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
i dont see why fm2+ boards couldnt use ddr4 with some updated hardware on mother boards.
lga 775 managed to span ddr ddr2 and ddr3. obviously would be per board specific but i dont see how the socket type is relivant to what memory can be used.

In LGA775 days, memory controllers were embedded into discrete north bridge chipsets. Nowadays, the north bridge functionality has moved onto the CPU itself and the north bridge no longer exists. Hence memory support is now coupled to the CPU you use, not motherboard.

Granted, there's no technical reason why AMD can't release CPUs that support both DDR3 and DDR4 at the same time... but there are plenty of good financial reasons why two memory controllers on a CPU don't make much sense. Especially when you're in AMD's position where they're targeting their CPUs at the price-conscious.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Ddr4 on what is essentially a budget socket won't make any sense until it's not at crazy prices and it isn't likely to get that cheap any time soon.

Not to mention that integrating a DDR4 memory controller into current CPUs would require a re-spin and re-validation of those CPU designs, which isn't cheap. Plus then AMD would need to convince motherboard manufacturers to come up with DDR4 board designs.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
That last bits probably the easiest ie motherboard maker's love anything that can sell more boards but an efficient low cost computer platform still needs low cost parts to fit it or your target market wont buy in