• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU Overheating

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Oh my god...I'm so tired of this computer. It has never worked completely. I can try re-installing driver's tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that, may just be some bad luck but the GPU is getting on in age. You can also try installing MsI afterburner and turning the on screen display on to show your temps in games. That could at least let you know what's going on before (or if) it freezes.

Sorry to hear that, may just be some bad luck but the GPU is getting on in age. You can also try installing MsI afterburner and turning the on screen display on to show your temps in games. That could at least let you know what's going on before (or if) it freezes.
Well the computer was used before. Got it really cheap for the gear but it was my brothers friends computer so I guess thats why I got it cheaper. I have got BSoDs, errors when installing programs, black screens, broken CPU and more.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Well the computer was used before. Got it really cheap for the gear but it was my brothers friends computer so I guess thats why I got it cheaper. I have got BSoDs, errors when installing programs, black screens, broken CPU and more.
Well depends on how used it was and if the person who built did things correctly (not aiming that at the person just saying it can depend). I have seen lots of things throughout the years and one of the bigger things has been peoples computers burn up due to dust build up and poor cleaning that causes the computers to run hotter over time deteriorates the component.

GPUs to me can be a primary cause of a majority of issues in used systems. It is normally one of the first components I check because especially when it comes to older GPUs I run into some that have just died from sheer dust build up or are on their last legs because of it.

A lot of the suggestions I have have are just running through the basics. Sometimes you have to wade through a bunch of junk to find the problem. I would also like to ask if you can test a few other games possibly to avoid that it is just one or two games (I know you said you render as well but like I said eliminating possibilities is how you get to the truth). It's tedious yes, but once we find/fix the problem it will be worth it.

Well depends on how used it was and if the person who built did things correctly (not aiming that at the person just saying it can depend). I have seen lots of things throughout the years and one of the bigger things has been peoples computers burn up due to dust build up and poor cleaning that causes the computers to run hotter over time deteriorates the component.

GPUs to me can be a primary cause of a majority of issues in used systems. It is normally one of the first components I check because especially when it comes to older GPUs I run into some that have just died from sheer dust build up or are on their last legs because of it.

A lot of the suggestions I have have are just running through the basics. Sometimes you have to wade through a bunch of junk to find the problem. I would also like to ask if you can test a few other games possibly to avoid that it is just one or two games (I know you said you render as well but like I said eliminating possibilities is how you get to the truth). It's tedious yes, but once we find/fix the problem it will be worth it.
Another game I have tried is CS 1.6. Doesn't freeze but it's a really old game.

I've tried Hitman Absolutin now too. It stays around 45ºC and didn't freeze. The fan was on 90% speed though.

Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
I've tried Hitman Absolutin now too. It stays around 45ºC and didn't freeze. The fan was on 90% speed though.
Well if it's not freezing in other tasks it sounds like it maybe game related unless those games stress something that the others are not. If the temps are staying 45c playing hitman using the fan like that your cooler is just fine. This is quite peculiar though...

Something occurred to me, you said rendering videos also causes a freeze. Have we ruled out the processor being the problem because rendering normally revs up the CPU and not so much the GPU.

I say this also because I noticed you said that you reached the CPU or at least it sounded like you did.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Well we can test this, try installing furmark and running a GPU stress test and start watching your temps. It will let you know how hot you can get and honestly the machine should not have a problem unless the GPU hits pretty darn high. I think the HD 5850 has a core limit of 105c so even in the 80's you should be fine since it does sound like its getting around up to the 70's.

Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye because the machine should not be freezing at that temp.

No don't use furmark ( + it's a crap app anyways ) even more so in this case as it not stable as is.. Run GPU-Z and make sure you tick the box so it saves the data to a file, like others have said dust might be another issue if your cooler is the type that push heat out the back check the fins as that's were most dust build up happens.

And hopefully you card will report vrm temps too in gpu-z then play your game for a while and check to see what they are.

No don't use furmark ( + it's a crap app anyways ) even more so in this case as it not stable as is.. Run GPU-Z and make sure you tick the box so it saves the data to a file, like others have said dust might be another issue if your cooler is the type that push heat out the back check the fins as that's were most dust build up happens.

And hopefully you card will report vrm temps too in gpu-z then play your game for a while and check to see what they are.
I'll try. I already have GPU-Z installed.

This is the log when I played CSS. http://www.mediafire.com/view/agncytxd23r6hh5/GPU-Z_Sensor_Log.txt

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
there is nothing wrong here temps are fine
1. unless you have vsync enabled cggo will up upwards of 120fps
2. its a 5850 they run a fair bit warmer at idle then more recent cards
3. csgo has stability issues on somecards .. its got a memory leak try rolling back to older drivers

1. CSGO is a CPU bound game
2. I agree, but 5850's are not that hot, not in the slightest
3. The memory leak only happens if you tab out and minimise the game.

OP should check for dust, repast the card, and also ensure that he has a decent fan profile set. CSGO is not the problem here...

It's also worth mentioning that the OP hasn't mentioned his PSU besides 650W. For all we know his PSU can't handle the load. It could be a highly overrated PSU from crap-brand-mcghee.

1. CSGO is a CPU bound game
2. I agree, but 5850's are not that hot, not in the slightest
3. The memory leak only happens if you tab out and minimise the game.

OP should check for dust, repast the card, and also ensure that he has a decent fan profile set. CSGO is not the problem here...
I know CSGO is not the problem since CSS freezes too. I have the fan at around 93% when playing CSS and the GPU is around 53ºC. Today I'm gonna open the graphics card, blow the dust out of the fan and replace the Thermal Paste.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I know CSGO is not the problem since CSS freezes too. I have the fan at around 93% when playing CSS and the GPU is around 53ºC. Today I'm gonna open the graphics card, blow the dust out of the fan and replace the Thermal Paste.

If it crashes when you're at 53 degrees fully loaded, then stop looking at the GPU. Have you checked your CPU temps? Have you run P95 to see if the CPU is even stable?

Every game you've mentioned so far that crashes is very CPU intensive.

Do games just crash, or does the whole PC lockup? Does it cause a BSOD? Does it cause an automatic PC restart?

These things tell you where the issue lies.

If it crashes when you're at 53 degrees fully loaded, then stop looking at the GPU. Have you checked your CPU temps? Have you run P95 to see if the CPU is even stable?

Do games just crash, or does the whole PC lockup? Does it cause a BSOD? Does it cause an automatic PC restart?

The whole computer just freezes. Completely locked up. No BSoDs just freezes. No auto restart. It just freezes. I checked the CPU temp and it is around 54ºC when just using the browser and stuff like that. I'm gonna try Prime95 and see what happens. What test should I run? What test should I run? Small FFTs, In place large FFTs or Blend?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Completely locked up. No BSoDs just freezes. No auto restart. It just freezes.

Sounds an awful lot like the PC can't get the power delivery it needs.
Run P95 Lots of Heat test for half hour, see if it locks up. P95 won't use the GPU at all. If it still locks up the GPU isn't the problem, the CPU or power delivery is. Either the CPU is unstable, or the combined use of the CPU and GPU is too much for your PSU.
Mind letting us know what brand/model your PSU is?

Sounds an awful lot like the PC can't get the power delivery it needs.
Run P95 Lots of Heat test for half hour, see if it locks up. P95 won't use the GPU at all. If it still locks up the GPU isn't the problem, the CPU or power delivery is. Either the CPU is unstable, or the combined use of the CPU and GPU is too much for your PSU.
Mind letting us know what brand/model your PSU is?
I don't know. I'll check later. The only thing I know is that its a 650watts PSU. But listen here, I have played BF3 before on the same computer on high settings. I could sit and play for hours with no lag and no freeze. This just started. I don't think its the PSU.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
The only thing I know is that its a 650watts PSU.

Ideally we need to know that above all else. It could be a quad-rail PSU designed by some odd brand, and could quite possibly be failing. Either than or your CPU is becoming unstable.

In my experience total PC lockups (without restart or BSOD) tend to be related to power draw or hardware instability. Most things you mentioned point me towards CPU, or an overall power problem. Out of curiosity, have you tried the GPU in another machine on the same games?

Ideally we need to know that above all else. It could be a quad-rail PSU designed by some odd brand, and could quite possibly be failing. Either than or your CPU is becoming unstable.

In my experience total PC lockups (without restart or BSOD) tend to be related to power draw or hardware instability. Most things you mentioned point me towards CPU, or an overall power problem. Out of curiosity, have you tried the GPU in another machine on the same games?
I'll check the PSU brand later. We don't have another machine. The other ones are laptops.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
The whole computer just freezes. Completely locked up. No BSoDs just freezes. No auto restart. It just freezes. I checked the CPU temp and it is around 54ºC when just using the browser and stuff like that. I'm gonna try Prime95 and see what happens. What test should I run? What test should I run? Small FFTs, In place large FFTs or Blend?

Sometime ago my old laptop would freeze with just browsing the internet, temps were around 50c. I had enough of it and used my netbook for a while. Then I installed a new graphics driver on my old laptop and it did not freeze anymore, the problem was solved, it was the driver causing the freeze in my case.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti

No access, although if the GPU is under 90c and the vrms are under 100c should be a none issue.

Have you ran checkDisk ?, might be errors on the HDD(s).
Sound drivers can be the issue to when a computer freezes, check for the newest ones if that fails maybe the ones before them. Maybe try disabling the sound though windows see if it continues.
As Rcoon said it could be PSU releated even more so if it's a cheap brand.
What are the CPU temps like ?.
Might be all so worth trying older AMD drivers if your using the 14.xx ones.

I've been having P95 for a while now and my CPU is stuck at 89ºC. It doesn't get hotter it looks like.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
No access, although if the GPU is under 90c and the vrms are under 100c should be a none issue.

Have you ran checkDisk ?, might be errors on the HDD(s).
Sound drivers can be the issue to when a computer freezes, check for the newest ones if that fails maybe the ones before them. Maybe try disabling the sound though windows see if it continues.
As Rcoon said it could be PSU releated even more so if it's a cheap brand.
What are the CPU temps like ?.
Might be all so worth trying older AMD drivers if your using the 14.xx ones.
The temp doesn't go higher than 89ºC in P95. I have the latest sound drivers. I use a Line6 Pod Studio UX2 Audio Interface so I get a message when there's new drivers.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Time to re-paste the cpu clean the cooler and make sure it's sitting on the cpu correctly.

EDIT: To me that's getting to hot.