• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help overclocking an Intel i7 965

mele_cr

Hi, I’m very new in the forum,

A friend recommend me the forum and well,

I was looking for a post relation to the i7 965 but I was not able to find one

I would like to know how much I could possible overclock my cpu, I used to read on forums a little, and when I bought the cpu, I almost got it stable at 4.2ghz with water cooling, but after some crashes, well I end up running the whole computer by default values, so no O.C.

My computer setup its:

CPU: Intel 965

Memory: Dominator GT DDR3 Tripple channel

Motherboard Rampage 3 Extreme

Any forums post where I could get a base line where I could use to keep trying to O.C. my computer again plz??

System Name The W.O.P.R.
Processor Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz 1.24 vcore
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Xigmatek S1283 with push\pull fan configuration.
Memory 6GB Mushkin DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20
Video Card(s) 2 - ASUS EAH5850 CrossfireX
Storage 1TB WD Black
Display(s) I-INC 28" 1920x1200 HDMI
Case Ultra M998
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
What kind of CPU cooling are you using?

mele_cr

Hi, thanks for the replay

I have a water cooling, with a big radiator 360mm with typhoon fans 5000 rpms, a swiftech water pump, and the whole cycle its in ½”

System Name The W.O.P.R.
Processor Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz 1.24 vcore
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Xigmatek S1283 with push\pull fan configuration.
Memory 6GB Mushkin DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20
Video Card(s) 2 - ASUS EAH5850 CrossfireX
Storage 1TB WD Black
Display(s) I-INC 28" 1920x1200 HDMI
Case Ultra M998
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
The guide linked above is a good starting point to help understand the relationship between certain functions within both your CPU and the x58 chipset, your success will be equally down to both. Remember that every CPU is different in it's ability to overclock, as mentioned, start with acheiving 4gig rock solid stable before you move on to anything higher, you should not need any extreme settings to acheive that, as you have effective watercooling I won't talk too much about tempratures at this stage, however if you progress further I will :) If I don't mention something, keep it on auto for the time being....

To start, choose a multiplier, I suggest 21x as odd numbers tend to do better, disable "turbo" (for now) and select your BClock at 191. Set your memory, unless auto or xmp runs fine? (you should know what your memory likes from your previous adventures) I don't know your memory specs, if in doubt manually input divider/multi, mine prefers 2:8, in fact it works on little else, ensure that the speed, timings and voltage is doable. Make sure Qpi multi is on auto and here is the important bit, whatever memory speed you selected, make sure Uncore multi is set manually so that it gives you exactly double your memory speed, this is the safest most stable option for now, you will see what I mean.

I stress these are the settings tha work best for my board, you may have to tinker a little. Aside from memory voltage I mentioned earlier, jsut to be safe to start with, set VCore voltage on 1.375V and QPi voltage on 1.35V (or thereabouts dependant on your options). Enable Load Line Callibration.

The memory controller is on the CPU itself and not part of the boards chipset, I cannot stress enough how important it is to ensure that you have settings that are stable, in my experience most overclocks fail because of either not enough voltage, uncore or memory.

Give that a whirl and report back, if it boots into windows, do some stress testing using the usual programmes such as Intel Burn Test, Prime95, OCCT etc. If stable, before you move forward you should play with lowering Vcore and QPI volts to see what she will run stabily on before adding more in your drive for more speed. It is likely in any case that going faster will require tweaks to other voltages but we can cross that bridge later!

Good luck!

mele_cr

ok ima start doing some test on that, btw my ram its 6g ddr3 tripple channel dominator gt

thanks allot guys