• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5 3570k turbo

Hi guys,

Was testing AIDA64 and I got this:

The overclock: 6% means my system got any kind of overclock?

OR it's just turbo entering on action?

Thanks.

Processor Core i7 8700K @4.8
Motherboard MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X flash to Z
Storage 960 EVO 500GB(boot) + Mx300 1T + Barracuda 3TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HB G-Sync 144hz + AOC e2752Vq
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion - Cherry MX Brown
Software Win10pro x64
Calculate the CPU speed using this formula: CPU speed = FSB x multiplier. In our example, CPU speed = 100.3 MHz x 36 = 3610.4 MHZ

Calculate the CPU speed using this formula: CPU speed = FSB x multiplier. In our example, CPU speed = 100.3 MHz x 36 = 3610.4 MHZ
But the overclock only appear sometimes, most of times appear this:

Software Win10pro x64
Software Win10pro x64

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The default settings for a Core i5-3570K are it will use the 38 multiplier when 1 or 2 cores are active, the 37 multiplier when 3 cores are active and it will use the 36 multiplier when all 4 cores are active. This is an unlocked K CPU so with the appropriate motherboard, you can adjust these CPUs however you like. Many users will overclock them so that the CPU will use the 45 multiplier whether 1, 2, 3 or all 4 cores are active. That's why people pay extra money for the unlocked K series. They are very flexible.

The RealTemp program that is available on TechPowerUp will give you a good idea of how much Turbo Boost your CPU is using. The built in XS Bench test will make 1 core active so you should be able to see close to your maximum multiplier. With any benchmark test, Windows will always be waking up additional cores for background processing so your multiplier will decrease when more than 1 core is active. If you adjust your CPU so it uses the same multiplier then you won't have to worry about this.

At the moment your CPU is not overclocked. It is simply using Intel Turbo Boost which is built into these CPUs.

unclewebb

Here is an example of the full 38 multiplier while a single core of the CPU is fully loaded running the XS Bench test.

The Turbo Boost multipliers were set to their default values for this test.

The default settings for a Core i5-3570K are it will use the 38 multiplier when 1 or 2 cores are active, the 37 multiplier when 3 cores are active and it will use the 36 multiplier when all 4 cores are active. This is an unlocked K CPU so with the appropriate motherboard, you can adjust these CPUs however you like. Many users will overclock them so that the CPU will use the 45 multiplier whether 1, 2, 3 or all 4 cores are active. That's why people pay extra money for the unlocked K series. They are very flexible.

The RealTemp program that is available on TechPowerUp will give you a good idea of how much Turbo Boost your CPU is using. The built in XS Bench test will make 1 core active so you should be able to see close to your maximum multiplier. With any benchmark test, Windows will always be waking up additional cores for background processing so your multiplier will decrease when more than 1 core is active. If you adjust your CPU so it uses the same multiplier then you won't have to worry about this.

At the moment your CPU is not overclocked. It is simply using Intel Turbo Boost which is built into these CPUs.
Thanks inclewebb, you was very clear to me!

And what about using Optimal mode of Asus, will it overclock, right?

With Real Temp I can know if my CPU is overclocked or not?

Thanks.

unclewebb

I am not sure what the Asus Optimal mode does but you can depend on RealTemp to show you what multiplier your CPU is using. Asus had one setting where it sets the multiplier to the same value whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores are active. That might be its Optimal setting but I am not sure.

Most users prefer to do their overclocking by adjusting the Turbo Boost values in the bios. With your K CPU, you can adjust these to whatever you like.

I am not sure what the Asus Optimal mode does but you can depend on RealTemp to show you what multiplier your CPU is using. Asus had one setting where it sets the multiplier to the same value whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 cores are active. That might be its Optimal setting but I am not sure.

Most users prefer to do their overclocking by adjusting the Turbo Boost values in the bios. With your K CPU, you can adjust these to whatever you like.
So now my CPU isn't overclocked right, in short word it's yet stock at 3.40 Ghz, right?

Uncle which is last version of Real Temp?

In your screenshot I saw 3.80 and in TechPowerUp is 3.70.

Why I doesn't get the GPU temp?

(Don't look at temps, I'm running prime95)

Nevermind, got it.

Thanks.

unclewebb

Your CPU is at stock default settings when the Turbo Boost multipliers are set to 38, 38, 37, 36 just like your original screen shot showed. Intel intended for users to use Turbo Boost and they designed their CPUs so the amount of Turbo Boost would constantly vary depending on how many cores are active.

The 3570K is very flexible. With just a few minor adjustments, this same CPU is now running fully loaded with all 4 cores active with a 45 multiplier. That's a lot of extra performance for free.

Unfortunately I never got around to finishing RealTemp 3.80. If I have some time this fall to finish this, I will try to release an official update.

Edit - Go into the Settings window and turn on GPU monitoring.

Your CPU is at stock default settings when the Turbo Boost multipliers are set to 38, 38, 37, 36 just like your original screen shot showed. Intel intended for users to use Turbo Boost and they designed their CPUs so the amount of Turbo Boost would constantly vary depending on how many cores are active.

The 3570K is very flexible. With just a few minor adjustments, this same CPU is now running fully loaded with all 4 cores active with a 45 multiplier. That's a lot of extra performance for free.

Unfortunately I never got around to finishing RealTemp 3.80. If I have some time this fall to finish this, I will try to release an official update.
Also saw a 4.00 version screenshot, man that's usefull tool, my congratulations.

I'm not overclocking now because I don't have a water cooler, I'm planning to add a Corsair H110 WC.

unclewebb

I released a special version for Tech Inferno but it is difficult to find it on their website. You can download it from my SendSpace account if you are interested.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/55yvry

Version 4.00 will be the next official version. I have too many projects and not enough motivation. :)

You do not need a water cooler to do some basic overclocking. These chips run quite reliably even at some very high temperatures.

Edit - The Turbo Ratio Limits is from another program that I work on called ThrottleStop. It allows me to overclock without having to reboot but you should be able to do the same thing with the Asus AI Suite program.

I released a special version for Tech Inferno but it is difficult to find it on their website. You can download it from my SendSpace account if you are interested.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/55yvry

Version 4.00 will be the next official version. I have too many projects and not enough motivation. :)

You do not need a water cooler to do some basic overclocking. These chips run quite reliably even at some very high temperatures.

Edit - The Turbo Ratio Limits is from another program that I work on called ThrottleStop.
Thanks uncle, very clarified, many thanks!

unclewebb

Pushing the TRL button in ThrottleStop will show you the Turbo Ratio Limits. At the moment, overclocking using ThrottleStop only works on the newer 4th Gen processors. You are better off using AI Suite or overclocking in the bios.

Here is some Prime95 action to warm up the cores. :D

Do a Google search, you should be able to find lots of information about overclocking your CPU. With my Asus board it was very easy. Increase the turbo multipliers and increase the CPU core voltage. Do lots of testing with Prime95, etc. to make sure your CPU is stable.

Pushing the TRL button in ThrottleStop will show you the Turbo Ratio Limits. At the moment, overclocking using ThrottleStop only works on the newer 4th Gen processors. You are better off using AI Suite or overclocking in the bios.

Here is some Prime95 action to warm up the cores. :D

Do a Google search, you should be able to find lots of information about overclocking your CPU. With my Asus board it was very easy. Increase the turbo multipliers and increase the CPU core voltage. Do lots of testing with Prime95, etc. to make sure your CPU is stable.
My MOBO is P8Z77-V.

By optimal mode it does auto overclock.

Last edited:

unclewebb

I have the same board. Asus P8Z77-V Pro. I have not used this computer very much lately but it is very stable when set up properly and was easy to overclock with only a few minor adjustments. Other than core voltage, I was able to leave most things on AUTO in the bios.

I have the same board. Asus P8Z77-V Pro. I have not used this computer very much lately but it is very stable when set up properly and was easy to overclock with only a few minor adjustments. Other than core voltage, I was able to leave most things on AUTO in the bios.
Well our specs are almost same.

Mine is Deluxe instead pro.

I've to buy a cooler due to stock coolers by now, and if I'm going to put a cooler I will put a great cooler like Corsair H110 Water Cooler, seems to be perfect.

I think Asus Optimal mode it's a great goal to OC without complications.

Edit: Yes the BIOS is perfect and very easy to-do things like OC into this... I like this MOBO.

unclewebb

When I was first playing with my 3570K, I was using the Intel OEM cooler. When pushing both the CPU and Intel GPU at the same time, temperatures used to get out of hand but both were 100% stable.

http://i.imgur.com/DFZJSCx.png

:D Amazing technology. Thumbs up to Intel for creating CPUs that can take this kind of abuse. Buying a better heatsink allowed me to overclock a little further.

Just for the record, the thermal throttling temperature for the 3570K is not until 105C. I got close to that temp but it still had not started thermal throttling yet. The OK in the RealTemp Thermal Status area confirms that. When this changes to LOG, that means the CPU has started to thermal throttle. Full speed ahead!

As our MOBO is same, confirm just for reset a overclock is just enter on BIOS and press F5 then Load Optimized Defaults, then overclocked is reset, so CPU free of overclock loading optimized defaults?