• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I change my Essence STX for a Creative SB Z sound card ?(for a better surround)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I meant the noises position in FPS games aren't that good. I have a 32Ohms Stereo Headphone, why ?

And yes, I installed the latest Asus BETA driver for Windows 8.1 : (

Thanks!
Why?? It was a question to further help... 320 Ohm is nice so have you selected the max amp setting?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
I tried the razor surround app ViPER did a better job once it was configured razor is frankly crap the demo they provide is heavily cheated
did you get ViPER to function yet ?

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
I think your problem lies with the fact that most games have a virtual surround filter built in.
You are better off just selecting headphones or stereo in game and not using the gimicky soundcard software
In my experiences I found the virtual surround from the sound card to only work well in old games that don't have their own 3d sound engine.

Last edited:
System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
I think your problem lies with the fact that most games have and virtual surround filter built in.
You are better off just selecting headphones or stereo in game and not using the gimicky soundcard software
In my experiences I found the virtual surround from the sound card to only work well in old games that don't have their own 3d sound engine.

+1 on this, beat me to it. :p

Okinoko

I tried the razor surround app ViPER did a better job once it was configured razor is frankly crap the demo they provide is heavily cheated
did you get ViPER to function yet ?

I installed Uni-drivers, I even checked "apply addons". I reboot then I reinstall Viper and there is no effect again :/

If you want to get surround sound its better to just buy a 5.1 set. Soundblasters have more software style 3d surround effects for stereo but its not nearly as good as the real thing. The ZX is a lower end card than a Essence ST/STX the ZXR is similar in terms of hardware but has multichannel outputs and better drivers.

I wouldn't say it was good value to go for a ZXR its more expensive with marginal gains, its better to stick with the Essence or go for a true multichannel setup.

Okinoko

If you want to get surround sound its better to just buy a 5.1 set. Soundblasters have more software style 3d surround effects for stereo but its not nearly as good as the real thing. The ZX is a lower end card than a Essence ST/STX the ZXR is similar in terms of hardware but has multichannel outputs and better drivers.

I wouldn't say it was good value to go for a ZXR its more expensive with marginal gains, its better to stick with the Essence or go for a true multichannel setup.
Thanks for your reply I'll see

Last edited by a moderator: